Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few months back I damaged the snowflakes on a mountain pass which bummed me out. Instead of opting to repair all four for more money (580$) I decided to pick up a whole new OEM set complete with the crappy goodyear all seasons from another owner for less. He immediately took the wheels off to use his track wheels so they're essentially new. My point is, would any of you made a similar choice? The wheels I ultimately want would have been costly. For now I figure these would do. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The premium wheels are less desireable as you cant run spacers with them, without modifications to said wheel. Some say the spoke design even looks like a penis. But I say that is subjective. :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The premium wheels are less desireable as you cant run spacers with them, without modifications to said wheel. Some say the spoke design even looks like a penis. But I say that is subjective.
Yeah ... that's pretty damn subjective. Haha

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have always liked less busy, 5 spoke style wheels. A bit more mature looking IMO. But I'm an old man. I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. As for any subliminal designs in the spokes, one would have to be thinking an awful lot about wangs to see them in car wheels. The individual(s) who came up with that one would likely be fun to administer an ink blot test to.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I prefer (and have 2 sets of) the snowflake wheels. However, I don't mind the premium wheels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Premium Wheels are fine and safe. Although for the life of me, I can't figure out what it "Premium" about them? Save your money till you are ready to buy the wheels you want. I think you make a good decision given the situation. I can't afford a new set of wheels, so I picked up two extra snowflakes for cheap to have a couple spare wheels on hand. Now I run a six tire rotation, so the oldest tires get used up front during summer and the best tires carry me through winter. Eventually, I'd like to get some 17x8's or wider, but that is such a low priority right now it's not even in the budget.

And if you ever sell the car, having a clean set of stock wheels makes the car easier to sell too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have always liked less busy, 5 spoke style wheels. A bit more mature looking IMO. But I'm an old man. I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. As for any subliminal designs in the spokes, one would have to be thinking an awful lot about wangs to see them in car wheels. The individual(s) who came up with that one would likely be fun to administer an ink blot test to.
I'm right there with you old man. :p

Went with simply classy Titanium 5 spokes on my ST. The Snowflakes look pretty good but on stock pads, cleaning them every week was a nightmare. These take 20 seconds a wheel.

From the communities, this seems to be a pretty popular swap.

Reactions: dan's st

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm right there with you old man. :p

Went with simply classy Titanium 5 spokes on my ST. The Snowflakes look pretty good but on stock pads, cleaning them every week was a nightmare. These take 20 seconds a wheel.

From the communities, this seems to be a pretty popular swap.
I was looking through ford's parts catalog. If I was looking at the correct code titanium wheels are ~400 bucks each. I like those as well but the dealer can goto hell with that asking price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Premium Wheels are fine and safe. Although for the life of me, I can't figure out what it "Premium" about them? Save your money till you are ready to buy the wheels you want. I think you make a good decision given the situation. I can't afford a new set of wheels, so I picked up two extra snowflakes for cheap to have a couple spare wheels on hand. Now I run a six tire rotation, so the oldest tires get used up front during summer and the best tires carry me through winter. Eventually, I'd like to get some 17x8's or wider, but that is such a low priority right now it's not even in the budget.

And if you ever sell the car, having a clean set of stock wheels makes the car easier to sell too.
"Premium" is coded language for added cost for nothing at all. lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was looking through ford's parts catalog. If I was looking at the correct code titanium wheels are ~400 bucks each. I like those as well but the dealer can goto hell with that asking price.
These were a $200/set Craigslist find. Doubled the investment money selling the snowflakes that were in worse condition. These are near flawless.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Agreed with all said above. I love the snowflakes. I did see the premium wheels coated or dipped in bronze and it looked amazing. I think the biggest problem with the premium wheel is the two tone. However, I have two sets of snowflakes, plus my all-time favorite focus wheel for winter:
WP_20170102_14_43_17_Rich.jpg

Having said that, I am going to have to sell one of my snowflake sets ... (sparkle silver if anyone is interested!)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think they both look good. I prefer the snowflakes as well, but the premium wheels do look good on either a black ST or a red one.

Does anyone know why you can't run spacers on these wheels?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think they both look good. I prefer the snowflakes as well, but the premium wheels do look good on either a black ST or a red one.

Does anyone know why you can't run spacers on these wheels?
Of course you can. Either really big ones about 25mm or thicker. Or you have to deepen the back divot on the back if the wheel face by a couple mm. It'll only take a few min per divot to grind out some clearance. The studs from the hub just protrude too far on a smaller spacer.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok, I'll admit, I had my ear to the ground for an extra set of wheels and picked up a set of snowflakes (dipped them black today) to switch out with the "premium" wheels when the time comes to rotate tires. Got them with nearly new Continentals on them for $450, couldn't pass it up.

I will just switch them back and forth every 5k miles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Few months back I damaged the snowflakes on a mountain pass which bummed me out. Instead of opting to repair all four for more money (580$) I decided to pick up a whole new OEM set complete with the crappy goodyear all seasons from another owner for less. He immediately took the wheels off to use his track wheels so they're essentially new. My point is, would any of you made a similar choice? The wheels I ultimately want would have been costly. For now I figure these would do. Thoughts?
I like your replacement wheels much better than the flakes. I just replaced mine yesterday with these. Now that they are off the car I might take some time to paint them black or just sell them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts