Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, since my car hasn’t had it’s plugs changed in about 55,000kms i figured i would replace them just to be safe. So i picked up a set of factory spark plugs from Ford, but apparently i can’t adjust the gaps in case they’re not accurate!! Should i just put them in as they are, or adjust if they need to be? Thanks
Also another piece of info about my car, it is not tuned**

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
738 Posts
Ford OEM plugs come gapped a little large. something around 0.028-0.032 I believe?

Its common practice here to run 1 step colder plugs with a smaller gap 0.026-0.028. This is better for tuned set ups with a bit of advance in their ignition timing. Presumably, it helps your ecu feel comfortable with a increase in timing.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are adjustable they come at 0.031 wich s not good you need 0.026 or 0.027

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have this tool, and you can find many similar ones...

Makes fine adjustments to narrow the gap easy, and much safer than many other methods, plus it is only like $15. You can probably find it cheaper if you search around. Anyway, the spark plug threads into the left side so it will not move. The spark plug ground electrode is on the side with the screw. As you turn the screw, it gently pushes down on the electrode to narrow the gap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts