Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there are a couple threads on lugs that are super old, but wanted to bring something up.

I took my car in to the dealer for an oil change, and told them not to rotate my wheels because I do it myself. What do you know, they rotated my tires anyways. In doing so, they DESTROYED my OEM lugs. I will post a couple pictures when I get home to show you if you have not experienced this before. I don't let dealers touch my wheels because they only use impacts, and they don't torque the lugs down (At least not the dealers I've dealt with)

I had to change over to my winter wheel set up a couple days after, and I literally had to hammer the socket onto the lug to get it to fit. Then I would have to clamp the lug down so I could pull my socket back off the lug. UNREAL. I'm going to see what I can do about making them pay for a set of aftermarket lugs, or at least OEM lugs and make sure they never touch them lol.

Anyways, other than Gorilla, any good brands of lugs out there? I was just trolling Amazon and saw Orion Motor Tech, Muteki, Black Spline, LEDKINGDOMUS, Yitamotor. Just curious is there are any I should stay away from, otherwise I think Gorilla is the choice.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I see there are a couple threads on lugs that are super old, but wanted to bring something up.

I took my car in to the dealer for an oil change, and told them not to rotate my wheels because I do it myself. What do you know, they rotated my tires anyways. In doing so, they DESTROYED my OEM lugs. I will post a couple pictures when I get home to show you if you have not experienced this before. I don't let dealers touch my wheels because they only use impacts, and they don't torque the lugs down (At least not the dealers I've dealt with)

I had to change over to my winter wheel set up a couple days after, and I literally had to hammer the socket onto the lug to get it to fit. Then I would have to clamp the lug down so I could pull my socket back off the lug. UNREAL. I'm going to see what I can do about making them pay for a set of aftermarket lugs, or at least OEM lugs and make sure they never touch them lol.

Anyways, other than Gorilla, any good brands of lugs out there? I was just trolling Amazon and saw Orion Motor Tech, Muteki, Black Spline, LEDKINGDOMUS, Yitamotor. Just curious is there are any I should stay away from, otherwise I think Gorilla is the choice.
From working in the tire and wheel industry for 14 years now, all OE lugs are trash. We always used Gorilla products without any issues.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
There's a lawsuit against Ford pending for the factory lugs, actually. I only ever use hand tools on the wheels and mine were destroyed within the first year of ownership.

I'd go with Gorilla or McGard if you're wanting to retain an OEM look (or go with stealthy black lugs), or Muteki if you're wanting a "tuner" look. I personally have the Muteki SR48's (longer, open end) on the car currently, with a set of SR35's (shorter, closed end) on the way with my new wheels.

I'm an advocate of sticking with steel lug nuts as well. I'm sure you'd have no issue with aluminum lugs with normal daily driving, but with a car that can corner as hard as the ST I don't really trust a softer metal holding my wheels onto the hubs. Nor do I like the potential for galvanic corrosion between the lugs and studs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There's a lawsuit against Ford pending for the factory lugs, actually. I only ever use hand tools on the wheels and mine were destroyed within the first year of ownership.

I'd go with Gorilla or McGard if you're wanting to retain an OEM look (or go with stealthy black lugs), or Muteki if you're wanting a "tuner" look. I personally have the Muteki SR48's (longer, open end) on the car currently, with a set of SR35's (shorter, closed end) on the way with my new wheels.

I'm an advocate of sticking with steel lug nuts as well. I'm sure you'd have no issue with aluminum lugs with normal daily driving, but with a car that can corner as hard as the ST I don't really trust a softer metal holding my wheels onto the hubs. Nor do I like the potential for galvanic corrosion between the lugs and studs.
I had had two sets of muteki SR48 in silver and they have both rusted in under a year. I'm trying to find chrome / silver ones that are steel that won't rust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
I had had two sets of muteki SR48 in silver and they have both rusted in under a year. I'm trying to find chrome / silver ones that are steel that won't rust...

Part of the reason I'm switching to the SR35's to be honest. I'm not running extended studs so there's really no point in running open ended lugs, and since I drive in the rain I'm just inviting corrosion. Just wish they had the Burning Blue color on the SR35's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Part of the reason I'm switching to the SR35's to be honest. I'm not running extended studs so there's really no point in running open ended lugs, and since I drive in the rain I'm just inviting corrosion. Just wish they had the Burning Blue color on the SR35's.
The wheels I run look great with sr48. Wish they were closed. I bought gorilla closed extended lugs and they are awesome but they use a larger socket. So they would scratch my wheels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Really though if you are on a budget for full thread length OE fit Lugs, the Dorman 611-063 can be had at ANY autopart store, and they should cost 1$ ea or less. I am running them after my fiasco with ford destroying all 20 of the OE lugs (because impact on everything! /sigh)

Used these all steel wonders for my track day, and had ZERO issues.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so glad that we're all in agreement on the OEM lugs.

I'm switching to black Gorilla lugs for my white Cosmis Racing R5s that are coming in today! For summer, of course.

Would there be any issue in using the lugs that Tire Rack gave me on my stock rims?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really though if you are on a budget for full thread length OE fit Lugs, the Dorman 611-063 can be had at ANY autopart store, and they should cost 1$ ea or less. I am running them after my fiasco with ford destroying all 20 of the OE lugs (because impact on everything! /sigh)

Used these all steel wonders for my track day, and had ZERO issues.
I made my dealer replace all 20 lugs the first time around, and I'm going to do it again just because I can, or see if they will pay for my replacements. Either way, I'll make sure they know how I feel about this.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Would there be any issue in using the lugs that Tire Rack gave me on my stock rims?
As long as they are a 60° conical seat you should be alright, but be careful with the diameter. The stock lugs have a fairly wide seat, and some aftermarket lugs (like Muteki) are designed to be narrow and therefore have a narrower diameter seat than stock. If that's the case, just make sure your lugs are properly seated and torqued and you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Which ones would happen to have the wide seat on them? My GoogleFu is a bit lacking in trying to figure out which ones I would need to get for OEM rims.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those Dorman 611-063 lug nuts - are they for all years of Focus ST? I have a ‘13 with the standard wheels. The Dorman site says they won’t fit, but you can’t choose “ST” on their site for a trim level. In Advance Auto, you can choose “ST” and the Dorman part they say fits is a 063-303. Any thoughts?

Also, I agree that the OEM lugs sucks. I was told that since they’re a 2 piece lug, water gets inside, causes corrosions, and makes them expand so it’s a ***** to get on and off.

Does anyone have a part number for Gorilla or McGard? I’ve found them online, just looking to see what others have used.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those Dorman 611-063 lug nuts - are they for all years of Focus ST? I have a ‘13 with the standard wheels. The Dorman site says they won’t fit, but you can’t choose “ST” on their site for a trim level. In Advance Auto, you can choose “ST” and the Dorman part they say fits is a 063-303. Any thoughts?

Also, I agree that the OEM lugs sucks. I was told that since they’re a 2 piece lug, water gets inside, causes corrosions, and makes them expand so it’s a * to get on and off.

Does anyone have a part number for Gorilla or McGard? I’ve found them online, just looking to see what others have used.
Thanks.
I Use the McGard Lug nuts 64012. They fit My 2014 Focus st stock wheels perfectly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a set of McGard 84537. I wasn't really looking for the locking nuts, but they came with the set, so I went ahead and put them on. It's a really good set for less than $50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts