Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of aluminum front lower control arms to replace my OE steel ones thinking "aluminum is always better".. but did I make a mistake? Are the OE aluminum ones from the prissy e-Focus weaker and more prone to breaking?
2014 Focus ST
Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to find a thread on this.

·
Super Moderator
6,736 Posts
I bought a pair of aluminum front lower control arms to replace my OE steel ones thinking "aluminum is always better".. but did I make a mistake? Are the OE aluminum ones from the prissy e-Focus weaker and more prone to breaking?
2014 Focus ST
Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to find a thread on this. View attachment 381236
Those may not have the same dimensions/steering geometry as the ST; the ST's steering is not the same as other foci.

Reactions: TurboGT and gemery

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
2014 Focus ST
Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to find a thread on this. View attachment 381236
They are exactly the same as the steel arms. Stronger and lighter as well. It’s a good upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
They are exactly the same as the steel arms. Stronger and lighter as well. It’s a good upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting!

in the subaru world, the JDM aluminum a-arms weigh more, but are stronger than the stamped steel units. Some even had better geometry with more caster.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I want to see the ball joint side too please. The current pic isnt clear.

With the stamped piece there are aftermarket upgrades for the balljoint that may not work with this arm

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Interesting, they use the E motor mount in the ST and now perhaps another E upgrade is available!! good find if it works!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I jist looked at ebay and there are a ton of those for sale for about $150-190 for the pair.

The ball joint design is different and will not work with say the Hardrace roll center adjustment balljoints. Though camber and caster bushings from powerflex should still work.

Without having them side to side you really cant compare the geometry of the two and there may be subtle 1-2mm differences that could affect caster

I’d argue they may be heavier too(not that it matters)... solid Aluminum vs stamped steel is surprising when comparing weight.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yes, I use them to modify for the stance boys. Fits like oem steel arms and geometry is the same. I even have the RS hubs with these and it’s 100% fine
Talk to me about the RS Hub/upright... They have about -0.8 more camber than the ST. This is an upgrade, since there is a lack of good camber options for non-coilover installed cars.

Do you also use the RS wheel bearing hub sets with the upright? Or are those identical to the ST, where I could possibly just use the same part?

Where I'm going with this, is just the RS upright, but all else using ST parts, to ensure compatibility. e.g. I don't know what else is different on an RS, that may not fit like axles, etc... So I'm trying to keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
part #?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
2014 Focus ST
Are you able to pick up a standard focus one from a local part store? All of the part store will have a full refund policy on parts you dont actually use. You can compare them, overlay and more importantly weigh them for us and then just return it :)

I've been wanting to do my ball joints but if i can get a lighter part, id be going this way

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
@rambleon84 light sounds appealing but a lighter part might allow more wheel hop. I would hope these would be a little heaver, maybe mitigate some of the hop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The base Focus, ST and RS all use the same steel control arms while the standard focus with sport packages and nicer trims got aluminum. Since both aluminum and steel arms were offered on the standard focus, they should have the same geometry and durometer bushings. I’m all for reducing unsprung mass, so this is appealing, but Ford forgoing aluminum on the ST and RS is curious.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I just want them so i can say i have aluminum lower control arms!!! Besides, I can always recycle them if I need some extra money!! #ALCA-FTW! 🙋‍♂️

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts