Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Administrator
11,553 Posts
Woah I didnt even see how far up this discussion went. Love it.
Yeah I think Ford did exactly what @slo.shoten is talking about. Saw the benefits of a cooled manifold and packed it all in.

I don't think they really figured it out until this model was made:
It really shows the end product of everything mentioned above.
View attachment 390373
That looks like a twin scroll head.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Woah super cool.
Those solutions look dope. I have little experience with electromagnetic FEA stuff but it sure is pretty. View attachment 390372
My girlfriend is an EE so I hear about the Maxwell equations and B fields etc but I leave it to her haha.
Without voiding NDAs, what are you doing RF for?
Primarily complete modules, so that’s like a small metal box with customer defined inputs and outputs that has a full RF system inside. The module usually does a specific task, like convert one frequency to another or decode a signal to extract useful data.

The customer then uses that smaller module to build up a larger system.

They system can be anything really, it depends on what the customer is trying to build, we’ve had some automotive work in the past years because the desire for self driving cars has created a need for small radars that can be put in the bumper of a car. Obviously telecom is big because of cell phones.

It’s fun stuff, I like my car as a hobby because it’s a deliberate break away from the electronics that I works with every day. Sometimes it’s fun to just turn a wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
FYI
For anyone who may be interested

Looks like the full race elbow can be configured to work with a Garett turbo upon request. No idea how much that would be but I assume it won’t be cheap as it’s custom work.

Follow up, full race can do this mod however you’d need a custom DP.

Could still be good though if someone had the means and ability to make a custom DP or an adapter

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
FYI
For anyone who may be interested

Looks like the full race elbow can be configured to work with a Garett turbo upon request. No idea how much that would be but I assume it won’t be cheap as it’s custom work.

I know the owner of Full Race... He is my neighbor. Interestingly- he lives here in NJ, but the shop is located in AZ.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
I know the owner of Full Race... He is my neighbor. Interestingly- he lives here in NJ, but the shop is located in AZ.
What are the emissions laws like in New Jersey? They are fairly non-existent in Arizona, or were when I lived there. Makes marketing non-compliant parts easier.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
What are the emissions laws like in New Jersey? They are fairly non-existent in Arizona, or were when I lived there. Makes marketing non-compliant parts easier.
New Jersey is a "CARB" state (CARB stands for California Air Resources Board). For those who do not know- CARB is a statewide “clean air agency” that enforces even stricter emissions laws than the federal EPA. I thought that all Focus ST's left the factory 50-state emissions compliant, but that was not the case. Before I purchased the car I own new in Virginia- I was all set to purchase a different car new from a Ford Dealership in Florida- but a week before my flight the dealership called to tell me that the new ST they were selling could not be registered in NJ. I sent them a deposit, filled out all of the paperwork, and my wife and I were leaving our kids with my parents for 4 or 5 days while we flew down to Florida and drove back home (which would've been so fun) but the deal was off since Florida gets cars that are non-CARB compliant. The window sticker of the car I ended up with (purchased from a Ford dealership in Virginia) shows an option for "50-State Emissions Compliance" but I really never understood what was different between my car and the one I tried to purchase in Florida.

As an aside- my neighbor who own Full Race drives a black Ford F150 truck with "FULL RACE" in massive matte black letters on the side- it's somewhat discreet. He does not drive any sports cars or cars you might imagine the owner of such a business might drive.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
New Jersey is a "CARB" state (CARB stands for California Air Resources Board). For those who do not know- CARB is a statewide “clean air agency” that enforces even stricter emissions laws than the federal EPA. I thought that all Focus ST's left the factory 50-state emissions compliant, but that was not the case. Before I purchased the car I own new in Virginia- I was all set to purchase a different car new from a Ford Dealership in Florida- but a week before my flight the dealership called to tell me that the new ST they were selling could not be registered in NJ. I sent them a deposit, filled out all of the paperwork, and my wife and I were leaving our kids with my parents for 4 or 5 days while we flew down to Florida and drove back home (which would've been so fun) but the deal was off since Florida gets cars that are non-CARB compliant. The window sticker of the car I ended up with (purchased from a Ford dealership in Virginia) shows an option for "50-State Emissions Compliance" but I really never understood what was different between my car and the one I tried to purchase in Florida.

As an aside- my neighbor who own Full Race drives a black Ford F150 truck with "FULL RACE" in massive matte black letters on the side- it's somewhat discreet. He does not drive any sports cars or cars you might imagine the owner of such a business might drive.
Here in Kansas cars (gratefully) are not required to be "CARB" compliant. In fact, you can pretty drive anything that has headlights, tail lights/brake lights and a horn; turn signals on newer vehicles. Sometimes, if you are being too obnoxiously loud, you may get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In NJ- when you go through state-mandated inspection every few years, the only thing that is checked is that there are no OBD codes, and no obvious emissions visible from the exhaust. It used to be that they looked the car over, would/could fail you for many automotive deficiencies, like worn tires, a cracked windshield, inoperable headlights etc. Now- emissions is the only thing that is checked. I have seen cars pass with no working lights or horn, inoperable windows etc., since those items aren't even checked during inspection.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts