Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how are you guys
just bought my ST last week ...so far LOOOOOVE it
it is also my first Turbo Charge car. so i am all around "noobe"
i am hoping to enjoy the forum and learn a lot

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome! I think it might be spelled "noob" so your credentials as one seems legit! :smile: Lots of good info around here hopefully you find some that helps you.

Also, is that avatar picture your ST? if so I'd love to see more pics

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! I think it might be spelled "noob" so your credentials as one seems legit! :smile: Lots of good info around here hopefully you find some that helps you.
haha thank ...totally a noob

Also, is that avatar picture your ST? if so I'd love to see more pics
i wish no that is not my car ...mine is bone stock ...just got a 2017 about 2 weeks ago ...i have a friend that has one and is a member here and he gets lots of good info here

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i wish no that is not my car ...mine is bone stock ...just got a 2017 about 2 weeks ago ...i have a friend that has one and is a member here and he gets lots of good info here
I was going to say you have quite the car for a noob! Bone stock is a ton of fun though so I am sure you are just fine over there!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Only thing you need to know.
NO FULL THROTTLE AT LOW RPMs or Cold Oil.
Otherwise, ENJOY!

·
Administrator
11,874 Posts
how are you guys
Welcome aboard!!!

Read, read, and read. We have fantastic Stickies.

Pretty much any question you have is just a google search away here.

At the bottom of each page is a Google custom search bar to search this site. The site's real search function blows, lol.

You now have a "high performance" car, so be aware of what maintenance you will need to do, and if you take care of her, she will take car of you.

Good luck, and enjoy! I know we all do!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing you need to know.
NO FULL THROTTLE AT LOW RPMs or Cold Oil.
Otherwise, ENJOY!
. Awesome thank you ...a friend that has a '15 told me the same thing ... I will definitelly not do that ...i have been driving manual transmition since i was 15 and never like to do that either ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how are you guys

Welcome aboard!!!

Read, read, and read. We have fantastic Stickies.

Pretty much any question you have is just a google search away here.

At the bottom of each page is a Google custom search bar to search this site. The site's real search function blows, lol.

You now have a "high performance" car, so be aware of what maintenance you will need to do, and if you take care of her, she will take car of you.

Good luck, and enjoy! I know we all do!
. Thank you for the tip...i definitely been very fun car so far. Any tips you want to share as a must do for a high performance car ...i have done skme racing kn the past and tuned up my cars before and was a sport bike track junky ...but this is my first turbo and want to treat her right and lear a lot to take great care of her

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
. Awesome thank you ...a friend that has a '15 told me the same thing ... I will definitelly not do that ...i have been driving manual transmition since i was 15 and never like to do that either ...
It's less about the fact that it's a manual and more that it's a turbo 4 banger.
All you need to look into is what is called LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition)

A lot of warranty claims could have been avoided and a lot of engines saved.
R.I.P. Ecoboosts...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's less about the fact that it's a manual and more that it's a turbo 4 banger.
All you need to look into is what is called LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition)

A lot of warranty claims could have been avoided and a lot of engines saved.
R.I.P. Ecoboosts...
i have noticed that the Oil temp and the Oil pressure takes a bit of time to warm up and come down (respectively in the morning ( i am guessing i have to wait for a few minutes until it gets to good temperature and pressure?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
i have noticed that the Oil temp and the Oil pressure takes a bit of time to warm up and come down (respectively in the morning ( i am guessing i have to wait for a few minutes until it gets to good temperature and pressure?
It isn't bad to drive on it after you've let it warm up, I typically just give it until the RPMs drop after a cold start to drive it normally.
If I want to really put it to the coals though, I wait until the oil temp is up above the first quarter. ~150-160
Whether that's appropriate or not... I don't know.
Been working out well for me though, around 45k on the clock currently.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Some really picky people will tell you your car will blow up if you boost with your oil 1 degree below warmed up, but definitely let it warm up some. LuckyWelds suggestion of 1/4 is probably fine. On cold starts, I wait for high idle to finish (when RPMs drop below 1000) before I go anywhere, but I'm also newer here and I've noticed the same thing, it does take a while for temp to go up and pressure to go down, like 10 minutes on colder mornings. I haven't had it during winter, but I feel like it's going to take my whole 45 minute commute to properly warm up. Look up what "lugging" an engine is and avoid that like the plague. I had no idea what it was in my old car (first manual) and thankfully it was naturally aspirated because I lugged the **** out of it and didn't blow anything up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It isn't bad to drive on it after you've let it warm up, I typically just give it until the RPMs drop after a cold start to drive it normally.
If I want to really put it to the coals though, I wait until the oil temp is up above the first quarter. ~150-160
Whether that's appropriate or not... I don't know.
Been working out well for me though, around 45k on the clock currently.
thank you
i have come to see (and maybe i am doing it wrong) that i wait for about 5 min and then i am on my way being it super careful until temp starts going up(pressure going down simultaneously) and so far so go ...hope i does not do any wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some really picky people will tell you your car will blow up if you boost with your oil 1 degree below warmed up, but definitely let it warm up some. LuckyWelds suggestion of 1/4 is probably fine. On cold starts, I wait for high idle to finish (when RPMs drop below 1000) before I go anywhere, but I'm also newer here and I've noticed the same thing, it does take a while for temp to go up and pressure to go down, like 10 minutes on colder mornings. I haven't had it during winter, but I feel like it's going to take my whole 45 minute commute to properly warm up. Look up what "lugging" an engine is and avoid that like the plague. I had no idea what it was in my old car (first manual) and thankfully it was naturally aspirated because I lugged the **** out of it and didn't blow anything up.
i pretty much do the same and i live in Florida, usually i wait a few minutes after idles comes low ...same i do when i get back hoe from any where wait a few minutes ...but in the morning or when cold i feel like a grandma waiting until it gets warm enough

1 - 16 of 16 Posts