Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get a COBB Accessport sometime in the near future. But I have to admit I know nothing about tuning. As of now the only mods I have are a Mountune intake and an AEM filter. A catback exhaust is also on the "to get" list. Are the any kind of sites or a "Tuning for Dummies" type of read that might provide some insight? Or is there something I missed in a search?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
I plan to get a COBB Accessport sometime in the near future. But I have to admit I know nothing about tuning. As of now the only mods I have are a Mountune intake and an AEM filter. A catback exhaust is also on the "to get" list. Are the any kind of sites or a "Tuning for Dummies" type of read that might provide some insight? Or is there something I missed in a search?
There are a LOT of companies who can tune our cars using usually a Cobb Accessport or an SCT device. Both do about the same, and my preference is the AP. Basically just look around here a lot more and it's really simple. You contact a company (I and a LOT of others chose Stratified) and the company contacts you asking to describe your mods, after you tell them what mods you have they reply with a small tune file. You put it on the Accessport, plug the accessport into your car and install it, select the tune you got from them to flash and within 15 minutes your car is tuned. Then you monitor everything (OAR, Ignition Correction, Boost PSI, AFR, etc) and make sure your car is happy with it and that's it. A lot of options really and if you go with companies like Stratified they give you a free flash tune if you buy the accessport off of them for CURRENTLY 500 dollars. Great deal to me.

Edit: Scroll down farther in the forums and look at the Stratified/FSWerks/Panda Motorsports/Unleashed/etc subforums at some of the tuning companies and of course the Cobb Tuning thread for a LOT of information.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There are a LOT of companies who can tune our cars using usually a Cobb Accessport or an SCT device. Both do about the same, and my preference is the AP. Basically just look around here a lot more and it's really simple. You contact a company (I and a LOT of others chose Stratified) and the company contacts you asking to describe your mods, after you tell them what mods you have they reply with a small tune file. You put it on the Accessport, plug the accessport into your car and install it, select the tune you got from them to flash and within 15 minutes your car is tuned. Then you monitor everything (OAR, Ignition Correction, Boost PSI, AFR, etc) and make sure your car is happy with it and that's it. A lot of options really and if you go with companies like Stratified they give you a free flash tune if you buy the accessport off of them for CURRENTLY 500 dollars. Great deal to me.

Edit: Scroll down farther in the forums and look at the Stratified/FSWerks/Panda Motorsports/Unleashed/etc subforums at some of the tuning companies and of course the Cobb Tuning thread for a LOT of information.
:whs: Those companies he mentioned make it pretty easy and straight forward. You really can't go wrong, just don't buy your AP from Cobb. Also, depending on what you are trying to gain from your mods/tuning, you may want to do some more research about what kind of power you make with different mods. Example: If you are looking for power and more sound consider adding a high flow downpipe along with (or even instead of) the CBE. Cat-back doesn't add much, and a DP is one of the necessary components to go stage 3 so is a better investment for power hunting. I have a CBE but if I could go back I would have done the DP first and then maybe eventually add the CBE. Also if you're going to be driving it hard often you should find a good FMIC (front mount intercooler) to replace the stock pos. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
Excellent! Thanks a million.
Not a problem! Glad I could help you out.

:whs: Those companies he mentioned make it pretty easy and straight forward. You really can't go wrong, just don't buy your AP from Cobb. Also, depending on what you are trying to gain from your mods/tuning, you may want to do some more research about what kind of power you make with different mods. Example: If you are looking for power and more sound consider adding a high flow downpipe along with (or even instead of) the CBE. Cat-back doesn't add much, and a DP is one of the necessary components to go stage 3 so is a better investment for power hunting. I have a CBE but if I could go back I would have done the DP first and then maybe eventually add the CBE. Also if you're going to be driving it hard often you should find a good FMIC (front mount intercooler) to replace the stock pos. Hope this helps.
And this is all spot on ^ obviously just like any other car I've ever owned my first few thoughts were "Intake and Catback exhaust" but quickly learned that this car has an amazing intake and exhaust straight from the factory. Throw a downpipe on it to go with that CPE and a FMIC and RMM if you didn't already and you'll be stage 3 and the car will feel completely different with a tune.

Just remember...if you tune the car BEFORE doing mods you will need to RETUNE the car for each mod to prevent issues with performance. You have to pay for each reflash..so it's best to do all the mods at once and tune at one time to save some dough.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Bryman...why did you say don't buy the AP from Cobb?
It's $500 from Cobb, or you can buy it direct from Stratified, Panda Motorworks, etc for the same, get all the Cobb maps plus a better OTS tune from the tuning company of choice. And for a little bit extra you can get a custom tune from the tuner. The difference is, for example, with my Stratified tune they wanted to know all the power-adding bolt ons and mods I had done so they can somewhat customize the tune to those options. Cobb will give you Stage 0/1/2/3 with 87/91/93 octane tunes, but the Stratified OTS will be much more efficient.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got one word for you my friend. "STICKERS" thats right stickers. They add about 5hp per sticker so start pasting. Lol in all seriousness these guys ^^^ hit the nail in the head. Also read, read , read plenty of info on the forum, i know it sucks to sift thru all those pages but they help, trust me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Howdy. Jeremy from Stratified Automotive Controls here. I am available 24/7 to answer any questions you have. We have a great tech section on our website I encourage you to check out if you seek knowledge. Here is a good place to start: Blog : Ford Focus ST Modifications Guide by Stratified Auto : Stratified Automotive Controls

·
Registered
620 Posts
I got one word for you my friend. "STICKERS" thats right stickers. They add about 5hp per sticker so start pasting. Lol in all seriousness these guys ^^^ hit the nail in the head. Also read, read , read plenty of info on the forum, i know it sucks to sift thru all those pages but they help, trust me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
On top of that, you'll probably run into a lot of entertaining and funny conversations, bickering, and pissing matches

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
Howdy. Jeremy from Stratified Automotive Controls here. I am available 24/7 to answer any questions you have. We have a great tech section on our website I encourage you to check out if you seek knowledge. Here is a good place to start: Blog : Ford Focus ST Modifications Guide by Stratified Auto : Stratified Automotive Controls
Oh yeah and @davesST? not ragging on any of the other tuning companies but hemi here is showing an example of exactly why I chose Stratified. Their forum presence and customer support is incredible.

Edit: any future questions you have..don't be afraid to tag one of the tuners and ask. They'll get you the answer you need.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah and @davesST? not ragging on any of the other tuning companies but hemi here is showing an example of exactly why I chose Stratified. Their forum presence and customer support is incredible.

Edit: any future questions you have..don't be afraid to tag one of the tuners and ask. They'll get you the answer you need.
I've already put Stratified at the top of my list. Now it's just a matter of when I do it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
get an intercooler and one step colder spark plugs (itv22 i think) before you do exhaust work...battle heat issues before making noise :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
get an intercooler and one step colder spark plugs (itv22 i think) before you do exhaust work...battle heat issues before making noise :)
ITV22 is correct. Installed mine a few weeks ago

·
Registered
421 Posts
One thing to consider is unleashed tuning doesn't charge for tune updates. They are the only co. I'm aware of that will revise your tune for free. This can be a huge plus if you are adding parts one at a time(update the tune each time). I've had my tune changed probably 10 times over the last few years, at no additional cost. Unleashed as the best response time of any company I've dealt with too. I shoot an email, and have a tune revision within the hour most times(sometimes sooner).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
One thing to consider is unleashed tuning doesn't charge for tune updates. They are the only co. I'm aware of that will revise your tune for free. This can be a huge plus if you are adding parts one at a time(update the tune each time). I've had my tune changed probably 10 times over the last few years, at no additional cost. Unleashed as the best response time of any company I've dealt with too. I shoot an email, and have a tune revision within the hour most times(sometimes sooner).
They just don't use Accessports, which I didn't like as much. One of those things OP will just have to consider in his research.

·
Registered
738 Posts

yes.....this guy Torrie. I don't think that guy sleeps.......send him an e-mail in the damn middle of the night and he responds a short time later. On tune requests, I send Torrie a request and damn if the file isn't in my e-mail the next day sometime!! All these aftermarket companies should be as responsive as UNLEASHED imo....

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,171 Posts
yes.....this guy Torrie. I don't think that guy sleeps.......send him an e-mail in the damn middle of the night and he responds a short time later. On tune requests, I send Torrie a request and damn if the file isn't in my e-mail the next day sometime!! All these aftermarket companies should be as responsive as UNLEASHED imo....
Stratified is pretty close, in my unbiased opinion. They gave me a notice that I would get my tune within 3 business days and I had it within 4 hours of purchase. And they replied to my mod list email almost immediately. Most of the companies are EASILY within the business professional threshold of 24 hour replies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noob to tuning as well, sold my 04 cobra bc of some major bills(thanks Obama) and picked up a 13 ST3, love it so far! Slowly modding it, it's bone stock currently. Ordered a boomba BOV, next is a Cobb catback and intake.. is a tune necessary for just these bolt ons? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Noob to tuning as well, sold my 04 cobra bc of some major bills(thanks Obama) and picked up a 13 ST3, love it so far! Slowly modding it, it's bone stock currently. Ordered a boomba BOV, next is a Cobb catback and intake.. is a tune necessary for just these bolt ons? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't believe it's necessary, but you'd most likely get more out of those mods.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts