Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's say I have the engine idle shudder (which I do) and I wanted to bring my car in and get

(WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.)

them to do what they need to do to handle this "issue"... What exactly breaks my warranty? Do any cosmetic alterations impact the warranty? Using a Green Filter, does that impact warranty? Having an aftermarket amp and sub setup? My Roush exhaust hasn't shown up yet but when it does, does that void warranty? Does an upgraded RMM void warranty?

Like I said, noob question, but I've never owned a new car before. Always had cash cars from Craiglist and never had to deal with dealerships.

Edit: I'm sure this has been beaten to death on the forum but I searched and didn't find much of anything on voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Let's say I have the engine idle shudder (which I do) and I wanted to bring my car in and get

(WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.)

them to do what they need to do to handle this "issue"... What exactly breaks my warranty? Do any cosmetic alterations impact the warranty? Using a Green Filter, does that impact warranty? Having an aftermarket amp and sub setup? My Roush exhaust hasn't shown up yet but when it does, does that void warranty? Does an upgraded RMM void warranty?

Like I said, noob question, but I've never owned a new car before. Always had cash cars from Craiglist and never had to deal with dealerships.

Edit: I'm sure this has been beaten to death on the forum but I searched and didn't find much of anything on voiding the warranty.
Read into this:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/49994-anyone-tired-talking-about-warranty.html

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's a hard one to answer. Depends on the dealer. I've honestly had little luck with warranty work at most dealers/manufacturers. They will come up with any and every excuse in the book to either say, "that's normal" or "its not covered under warranty because you wear blue shirts while riving"...you get what I'm trying to say there. If you're taking it in for an idle issue, I would put the stock filter back in. Not saying it caused the issue however its a way for the dealer to place blame back on you. My rule of thumb is, if whatever I have added can possibly be traced back to having a .0000001% chance of causing said issue, it gets put back to stock before even starting a conversation with the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
is it the original part on the car?

yes = warranty
No = no warranty

Part 2 - did a NON-OEM part cause the failure

yes = NO WARRANTY
no = WARRANY

Reactions: BadContrakt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it the original part on the car?

yes = warranty
No = no warranty

Part 2 - did a NON-OEM part cause the failure

yes = NO WARRANTY
no = WARRANY
You're referring to Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act essentially. Which basically leaves it to dealer discretion if the part "had something to do with the failure or issue".

That's sort of the answer I was expecting.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You're referring to Magnuson
That is correct. It always comes down to M&M law. Basically if you want to retain warranty, dont modify the car. If you touch the car, it basically is the gateway that the dealer / manufacture will need to void warranties. I have seen more people complaning that trans parts were not warrenteed over something like a catch can being installed. Yup, they can say what they want because they have better more expensive lawers then you ;)

Reactions: STSnail

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have to talk about the elephant in the room - dealer's discretion. If you treat the dealer well and act like you would consider giving them business in the future, they can work with you. If you come in with an attitude and demand coverage, they may figure you're a lost customer regardless of what they do and it's probably easier to deny warranty than to file the paperwork. I took my wife's Taurus, bought elsewhere to my ST selling dealer for 60,000 mile service stuff I couldn't do (living in an apartment). They replaced one month old sparkplugs. I felt this was unnecessary and talked to the service writer (Tracey); she couldn't help me. I politely told her I'll take it up with the service manager. He agreed with me and refunded the money for the plugs and labor. Fast forward, he retired and Tracey is now the service manager. I get top notch service now and feel I'd have a good chance on an iffy claim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts