Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just picked up my 2017 Focus ST3 last week and I've absolutely fallen in love with it :)
I am a noob though, so I figured this would be the best source for my dumb questions :LOL:

Every time I start the car in the morning, then step back out and shut the door, the horn beeps twice.
I thought it just meant that the doors automatically lock because the fob is outside the car (still in my pocket) but I tried it with a buddy and I don't think the doors lock when the horn beeps. It just kinda beeps for no reason?
This is also important when I pull into a parking lot - maybe I'm going into the store for 2 min so I leave it running, but when the horn beeps twice I feel like I'm advertising to everyone that the car is running and unattended. :rolleyes:
I know this can easily be avoided by just leaving the fob in the car but I'm always afraid they're going to get locked inside the car somehow.
(I've never owned a car this new before either :geek:)

Is there a setting or something I can change to have it not beep twice when I get out?
Do the doors actually lock when it beeps twice and I'm just an idiot?
It's a very small, easily avoidable situation, but I was just wondering if there was a way to change this annoying setting.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
449 Posts
You my friend are going to need to look at forscan programming. You can eliminate double honk upon exit via Forscan.

Reactions: Skykri and Hakumai

·
Super Moderator
9,007 Posts
That's the proximity alert letting you, and everyone else that the fob is not in the vehicle; it's a "feature" on the facelift cars. The doors do not lock, it's just an alert. I believe it can be shut off using Forscan.

Reactions: Hakumai

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's the proximity alert letting you, and everyone else that the fob is not in the vehicle; it's a "feature" on the facelift cars. The doors do not lock, it's just an alert. I believe it can be shut off using Forscan.
It's on the pre-facelifts as well. I want to shoot my car when it does it....

·
Super Moderator
9,007 Posts
It's on the pre-facelifts as well. I want to shoot my car when it does it....
Mine has never done it...too bad for everyone else! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You my friend are going to need to look at forscan programming. You can eliminate double honk upon exit via Forscan.

Okay, awesome! I've never heard of that

Okay, awesome! Thanks, I'll have to try it out (y)

·
Registered
2017 ST1
1,008 Posts
I start my car, roll down the driver's window, get out of the car, stick my hand through the window with the fob in my hand, close the door, flip the auto-up on the window, and then touch the lock button to secure the car. This adds about 5 seconds to my morning routine.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST3
10 Posts
when you get out of your car if hold the fob against the door when you close it the car won't honk. (on top of the keypad)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Strange question, why do you start the engine and get out of the car? And why do you keep the car running when you pop out to get something from the shop?
Do everything you need to do before you start the car and shut the engine of when you go inside the shop for a minute. That one minute or less the car is running unattended is enough to get it stolen.
Maybe I am seeing it wrong

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
825 Posts
Strange question, why do you start the engine and get out of the car? And why do you keep the car running when you pop out to get something from the shop?
Do everything you need to do before you start the car and shut the engine of when you go inside the shop for a minute. That one minute or less the car is running unattended is enough to get it stolen.
I don't understand it either and don't know the OP.

But can speak from experience some folks value heat or AC more than the increased possibility of the car being stolen. At least in the usa, the chance is reduced by the car being a manual transmission 😛🙄😕😁

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
109 Posts
Touch your key fob against black frame on the window as you shut the door . Boom double honk disabled

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
825 Posts
A lot of people never take the key out of their pocket or purse. Part of the advantage of keyless entry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As a plus you can lock the doors with the engine running, I do it on cold mornings since I gave my wife the garage. I start the car, turn the heat on, get out close the door and hold the fob against the door frame so it doesn't honk and wake my neighbors, then touch the pad on the handle to lock the doors and go back inside with my fob. That way the car is warming up, but the door is locked.

My neighborhood is tucked back off the main road a good ways and is dead end so its not common to have anyone around but my neighbors, but if anyone really wanted to break my window and steal my car, I have insurance.

·
Registered
825 Posts
That is a good trick holding the fob close to the door to keep from honking! 👍😊

Tried it today moving cars around. I did tell it OK twice, the engine is on and the door is open before I got out. Next time I'll just get out and try it without the OK button first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, that was just an example. To be honest I usually shut it down and lock it if I leave it in a parking lot anywhere. Another example is when I leave for work in the morning, I start the car to warm it up and the horn beeps twice which wakes up the whole damn neighborhood :rolleyes:
Regardless of the situation, it's still an annoying feature

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the replies! I'm going try out the Forscan technique at some point. Also, thanks for letting me know about the little tricks I can do with the fob until I get around to the whole Forscan thing. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts