Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Header should say (CFM)**
I'm saving money for a full performance upgrade for a larger turbo. It will probably take me a couple years to save up since my wife and I are starting a family, but I figure I have plenty of time for research. I read that it's best to design performance upgrades from the flow capacity of the engine alone (without the existing turbo) but I haven't been able to find this information. Does anyone know the cfm of the stock 2.0L ecoboost engine without the turbo?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not sure what route you are referring to, but there are plenty of build threads you could look at if you are chasing a particular number. I can't see how finding out the CFM of an NA focus would help you decide anything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
you can get some ballpark figures if you make some assumptions on VE.

CFM = [Engine Disp (L)] * [RPM] * [VE] * [Pressure Ratio (1.0 for N/A)] / [5660]

·
Registered
613 Posts
but i also this this will be a waste of time. plenty of build threads, turbo discussions, datalogs, dynos, vdynos posted around here to make the right choice for your goals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info, and good point. Why rework what others have already figured out. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
1) All you can expect out of pump fuel (91-93) is between 330-360 hp no matter what turbo you choose from those that are available.
2) Air flow matters none, predictions of the stock head air flow being a weakness is BS. More than a few cars north of 500 hp on the stock turbo-fold head.
3) If response is paramount then smaller is better here, Pumaspeed X37, EFR 6258 or GTX 2860
4) Understanding what you want from the car overall should be taken into account.

If you have to have budget talks with the wife which consider the X37 upgrade about $1100 after exchange or GT2860R about $2,000 when all it said and done, assuming you are reusing the majority of stock parts, get a Turbo Smart Pro Vee ($180) and steel flange ($20).

I am going to assume you aren't going to do anything but just drive it around so this is plenty of power, 320-330 hp on pump 360 hp on race gas (100 octane).

Reactions: bman13235
1 - 7 of 7 Posts