Ford Focus ST Forum banner

NOISE FROM FRONT PASSENGER SIDE?????

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  FoMoST 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello i recently purchased a used 2014 Ford Focus ST, i’ve had the car for about a 3 weeks now and i’m starting to hear this strange sort of grinding or like scratching.. it’s extremely loud and is strictly dependent upon rpms. rpms go up the sound increases. no matter what speed i’m going.

here’s a video or two for reference:
WEIRD GRINDING/ Scraping noise.
Another Example/Hearing view.

1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA AS TO WHAT THE HELL MAY BE GOING ON LET ME KNOW ASAP! please and thank you

#2 ·
Alternator, booster pump? Hopefully it's not under the timing cover.

#4 ·
There's only a few things under that cover. All are kinda important things. Pop the belt off. Spin the alternator, AC compressor, water pump by hand. You'll hear theM makes noises if they are that bad. If they don't. Temporarily start the engine and see it the sound returns.

Reactions: Dee Dabs
#6 ·
Well you can download factory services manual and attempt to fix the issue. Like timing chain, oil pump / drive chain, etc. It does require some specialty tools and one time use items like the diamond coated friction washer for the cams and crank.

Or take if somewhere and have them perform the work for you. Do you have any friends or family that could help you out?

This is a fairly good video if you really want to know what's under that timing cover.

But I'm holding out its a bad alternator or AC compressor.

#7 ·
Well you can download factory services manual and attempt to fix the issue. Like timing chain, oil pump / drive chain, etc. It does require some specialty tools and one time use items like the diamond coated friction washer for the cams and crank.

Or take if somewhere and have them perform the work for you. Do you have any friends or family that could help you out?

This is a fairly good video if you really want to know what's under that timing cover.

But I'm holding out its a bad alternator or AC compressor.
not really any friends or family may end up taking it somewhere as you suggested if it isn’t just a bad Alt or AC Comp. Funny you suggested that video because i actually messaged Trey via Instagram about some recommendations for my vehicle (that i’m sure he’s tired of being asked). but i appreciate your help man and if you want i’ll keep you posted on whatever i find!

#9 ·
Where you live can play a huge factor in exhaust. I'm not only talking about state, county, or city regulations but I live in a quiet neighborhood. There's are older couples and families with younger children (myself being one of them) so being respectful of others is always in the back of my mind.

The factory exhaust is actually pretty good for what it is. It will be some time before you out grow it, regardless of what some people may tell you. Personally I enjoy having a conversation with the other person in car while at highway speeds. Not yelling at the person next to me like I'm about to jump out of a C130.

Exhaust has been and will always be for the most part a matter of personal preference. If you like it? Cool. If I don't? Hey, that's cool too. Just don't be too surprised at the extra attention it can bring you on the street. Ya feel me???

There are a lot of really cool and knowledgeable people here. Just about any of them will be willing to help you out as long as you will be willing to learn. Teach a person to fish and all.

If this is the car you want and to keep modifying if l, the make it yours. Watch videos, ask questions and read what you can gets your hands on.

Sorry only one I could find.

Another thought is looking around for any car groups or other members here that live in your area. Keep me in the loop.

Good luck & Stay Safe!

J

#10 ·
Where you live can play a huge factor in exhaust. I'm not only talking about state, county, or city regulations but I live in a quiet neighborhood. There's are older couples and families with younger children (myself being one of them) so being respectful of others is always in the back of my mind.

The factory exhaust is actually pretty good for what it is. It will be some time before you out grow it, regardless of what some people may tell you. Personally I enjoy having a conversation with the other person in car while at highway speeds. Not yelling at the person next to me like I'm about to jump out of a C130.

Exhaust has been and will always be for the most part a matter of personal preference. If you like it? Cool. If I don't? Hey, that's cool too. Just don't be too surprised at the extra attention it can bring you on the street. Ya feel me???

There are a lot of really cool and knowledgeable people here. Just about any of them will be willing to help you out as long as you will be willing to learn. Teach a person to fish and all.

If this is the car you want and to keep modifying if l, the make it yours. Watch videos, ask questions and read what you can gets your hands on.

Sorry only one I could find.

Another thought is looking around for any car groups or other members here that live in your area. Keep me in the loop.

Good luck & Stay Safe!

J
your a g.o.a.t. bro. thank you so much i’ll keep you posted be safe

#11 ·
If you're referring to the metallic "shhhhh" sound, mine makes it as well as most others I've been around. Also a coworker of mine had a 2017 focus SE he bought brand new that also made that sound. I just figured the AC compressor end gap was tight on these cars and there was a slight contact at the compressor clutch. Either way, its not concerning. Ive put 18,000 miles on mine and the noise is no different than when i bought it.

#13 ·
I have the same sound. very certain its pulley related, but I've heard the same on other st's. and chalk it up as normal.

Reactions: TurboGT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.