Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
14,971 Posts
Sadly yes i’m still running the stock intercooler, my charge air temps recently with the weather change don’t push over 97°F still high but it’s not in the 130’s like i read allot of people deal with, but struggling to fork over $800 and pay bills lol.. i know the accessport is way off that’s all i’ve ever read but i wasn’t sure by how much.

800?

Naw meng, more like 400 for a good fmic. Whoosh, ESP, Depo. I think theres another good cheapo.

Whoosh is my fav for budget, like 4 years running now.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
1,023 Posts
I’ll do that in the morning on my way to work!! It’s hard to tell i live in michigan so september temps throw me off haha, thanks for all your help!
It'll definitely still help in Michigan, and even in the winter. The issue is when accelerating hard for more than a few seconds, or over multiple runs. The stock cooler just doesn't cut it after a while and your charge temps start going up. High bvharge temps means lower power.

Just about any aftermarket unit will be leaps and bounds better

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
800?

Naw meng, more like 400 for a good fmic. Whoosh, ESP, Depo. I think theres another good cheapo.

Whoosh is my fav for budget, like 4 years running now.
Ironically while i was on my break i was researching a ton of good lower budget FMIC that have decent reviews with proof of good temps and whoosh seemed to be the best option and i’ve been exploring their website all day. What temps do you usually run if i may ask

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It'll definitely still help in Michigan, and even in the winter. The issue is when accelerating hard for more than a few seconds, or over multiple runs. The stock cooler just doesn't cut it after a while and your charge temps start going up. High bvharge temps means lower power.

Just about any aftermarket unit will be leaps and bounds better
Yeah can’t argue consistent temps, i’ve noticed the first pull of the day is the best you’ll get on a stock FMIC i appreciate all of you guys for the help, i’m very new to boosted applications like the ST and actually owning one not just learning from youtube lol

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
14,971 Posts
Ironically while i was on my break i was researching a ton of good lower budget FMIC that have decent reviews with proof of good temps and whoosh seemed to be the best option and i’ve been exploring their website all day. What temps do you usually run if i may ask
Me? I don't have an ST anymore. Switched platforms.

This is the build thread on the ST though. My setup was a bit beyond what you are trying to do right now though, so not a great comparison.

I have installed a couple whoosh fmic, and they are quite a bit nicer than the Depo ones I 've installed.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,251 Posts
With my ESP intercooler (love his stuff), it will typically go to 4 or 5 degrees F over ambient on a 3rd gear pull with the 2867 turbo. With the stock turbo, I think it was about the same.

When I was on the stock intercooler, though, it wasn't uncommon to see it climb 60 degrees F or more on a 3rd gear pull. That may be ok if it's 20 degrees in the winter, but in the summer that's going to put your charge temps in the "hair dryer hot" range, which absolutely sucks for power-making and dealing with knock.

Looks like he's currently sold out of intercoolers, but you could chat with him on the website and find out when he'll have more built. ESP Intercooler Ford Focus ST 2013+ – Elliott Specialized Performance (esperformance17.com)

FWIW, the mounting solution he uses is rock solid.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
120 Posts
If you watch Amazon closely, you can get a Mishimoto intercooler for less than $600. I paid $481 a few weeks ago. It's been the best mod so far and including the hot-side charge pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do your self a favor and get a FMIC you will be surprised by the difference. The stock Intercooler is trash and does not support a tuned car, then have it re tuned by a tuner e tune with edge autosports highly recommend it, my car is 100% better after. Get a high flow down pipe also, to wake this car up. Ive got better gas mileage with a new dp.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus, Race Red
11 Posts
Sadly yes i’m still running the stock intercooler, my charge air temps recently with the weather change don’t push over 97°F still high but it’s not in the 130’s like i read allot of people deal with, but struggling to fork over $800 and pay bills lol.. i know the accessport is way off that’s all i’ve ever read but i wasn’t sure by how much.
Little late to this, but I am running the Depo racing intercooler, let me tell you it was worth it. Focus' have really bad heat soak from factory. That intercooler ran me like half of your 800 dollar price your saying. I will tell you tho you will have to fight that intercooler to get it in just mount the top and then and then get the bottom in.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Just an fyi, there are options closer to half of that. Still not the cheapest thing if you don't have extra money laying around but just in case you do come into some extra spending cash, here are a couple of options;

21 - 32 of 32 Posts