Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my green filter installed for about 18k miles now and have serviced it every 3k to 5k following their recommended servicing procedure, using the Green Filter Cleaning Kit. Today I was just about to re-oil it and noticed this... These huge gaps in the element have started all over the Filter and on the end cone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I am starting to have the same problem with myne, it makes it faster haha.
I visit family in west Texas and dust & dirt are a big concern for me, this is a little overkill.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I got the AEM Dryflow. Highly recommended btw, fits perfectly inside the stock box, and I just prefer the dry filters because they are so easy to maintain.
I may look into that next, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I use the AEM dry flow filter too. I have the Mountune (same as green filter), didn't like the way it fit in the air box. It never seemed to seat properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had my green filter installed for about 18k miles now and have serviced it every 3k to 5k following their recommended servicing procedure, using the Green Filter Cleaning Kit. Today I was just about to re-oil it and noticed this... These huge gaps in the element have started all over the Filter and on the end cone.
Does Warranty cover it? Filters won't last forever you know? ?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does Warranty cover it? Filters won't last forever you know? ?
I haven't looked at warranty and probably won't. I know filters won't last forever but 18k? That's not cool IMO.
My wife's mustang has had the same k&n for about 48k and it looks fine.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That looks typical for an oiled filter. And, I'm pretty sure they're not designed to be cleaned every 5,000 miles. That may have added to the demise.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That looks typical for an oiled filter. And, I'm pretty sure they're not designed to be cleaned every 5,000 miles. That may have added to the demise.
On the service kit it says every 10k to 15k so maybe it was user error, I drive <130 a day so I try to be diligent on services. This was its 4th service ever and I feel like it failed early and looked unsafe, so I thought I'd share. If you want holes in your filter large enough for sand to fit through than go for it. I worry about dust in my turbo so a pen tip sized hole is no good to me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Their website says cleaning should be done at 30,000 miles unless you live in extremely dusty conditions. Looks like you just overcleaned the filter for what it was designed for. For most purposes they are 'install and forget about it' until you rack up a lot of miles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You might want to try a virtual dyno to see if there really is a difference between the OEM filter or not. Because with out a big turbo, there shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Dont pay to much mind to that. What ur trally using a filter is to protect agains big stuff. Lottle particals will burn up and cause no issues

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Actually the website says clean it every 30,000 miles, but dusty conditions may need to be done a little more often. Sounds like the OP cleaned it too often and created his own problem..

·
Registered
768 Posts
Dont pay to much mind to that. What ur trally using a filter is to protect agains big stuff. Lottle particals will burn up and cause no issues

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A poor air filter is the #1 cause of oil contamination and engine wear. Those extremely small particles that you say don't worry about, aside from the turbo, they make it into the combustion process and oil cleans it off the cylinder walls and it will show up in an oil analysis as silicas...think sand! In your engine! There are tons of legitimate comparisons out there comparing the poor filtering qualities of oiled filters to dry filters with extremely little to zero improvement in flow.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how soaking the filter in soap and re-applying oil to it every 5k vs 30k miles is going to wear out cotton. Are you using a pressure washer or compressed air to clean/dry it??? I just use low pressure water from the sink when I clean mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts