Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 years and 44K miles I got the next disease. The ST has been traded in on a 2013 Boxster S.

This forum is one of the best out there and I appreciate the help I have received here. Hopefully I have help others as much as I was helped.

Regards,
Jim
Pictures of the new ride
thumbnail_20170923_191912.jpg
thumbnail_20171001_174840.jpg
thumbnail_20171003_082438.jpg

·
Administrator
12,187 Posts
After 4 years and 44K miles I got the next disease. The ST has been traded in on a 2013 Boxster S.

This forum is one of the best out there and I appreciate the help I have received here. Hopefully I have help others as much as I was helped.

Regards,
Jim
Pictures of the new ride
Sweet ride Jim!

I hope she treats you right!

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
Beautiful. All things considered, Porsche is the finest automobile in the world, IMO. There are cars that are faster, cheaper, bigger, whatever. But there is something about a Porsche that makes me smile even though I have no desire to own one.

·
Registered
917 Posts
OP we have similar taste! I've been eyeballing 2013-2016 Cayman S/GTS's for awhile now. To me they are (to include the Boxster) a true driver's car and I am drawn to them. Plus with the advent of the 718's move to a turbo four I think the value of the flat six models will go up. So congrats! What are the specs on yours?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Beautiful car. Hope you enjoy it immensely. You will be missed here.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If only I had the desire to pay for the maintenance on this thing, it would be a done deal for me too. Every time I consider what the next car is, I keep heading to Porsche... then my wallet tells me "hey dont you remember the **** show of $$ in the Audi or the BMW". Nice looking ride you got there, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If only I had the desire to pay for the maintenance on this thing, it would be a done deal for me too. Every time I consider what the next car is, I keep heading to Porsche... then my wallet tells me "hey dont you remember the **** show of $$ in the Audi or the BMW". Nice looking ride you got there, enjoy!

If you take it to the dealer for maintenance I agree it is outrageous, they want $300 for oil change. If you buy parts from dealer that is outrageous as well.
But if you do maintenance yourself and buy parts at non dealer sellers its not so bad.

I just did an oil change for $70 (includes tax and shipping) which is $35 more than what the it cost me to do the ST. I used genuine Porsche parts, 8 quarts of oil (M1 full synthetic on sale at Wallyworld), oil filter, new O ring, and crush washer this go around. But after mic'ing the used crush washer and the O ring they were exactly the same as the new ones and had no visible signs of wear, so I can get non Porsche oil filter that does not come with these items and save $15 most oil changes. That makes it $20 bucks more than changing oil in the ST.

Upgrades are way more expensive in general but deals are to be had. The factory X73 sport suspension is $1600, but includes all 4 dampeners, springs, and front and rear sway bar. This about the same price as Mountune clubsport and buying F/R sway bars for ST.
Tuning is way more expensive, Cobb AP is min $1200. Exhaust, typically at least $2000 some even more.

I did a lot of homework on this issue before I pulled the trigger because I was concerned about the same thing.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If you take it to the dealer for maintenance I agree it is outrageous, they want $300 for oil change. If you buy parts from dealer that is outrageous as well.
But if you do maintenance yourself and buy parts at non dealer sellers its not so bad.

I just did an oil change for $70 (includes tax and shipping) which is $35 more than what the it cost me to do the ST. I used genuine Porsche parts, 8 quarts of oil (M1 full synthetic on sale at Wallyworld), oil filter, new O ring, and crush washer this go around. But after mic'ing the used crush washer and the O ring they were exactly the same as the new ones and had no visible signs of wear, so I can get non Porsche oil filter that does not come with these items and save $15 most oil changes. That makes it $20 bucks more than changing oil in the ST.

Upgrades are way more expensive in general but deals are to be had. The factory X73 sport suspension is $1600, but includes all 4 dampeners, springs, and front and rear sway bar. This about the same price as Mountune clubsport and buying F/R sway bars for ST.
Tuning is way more expensive, Cobb AP is min $1200. Exhaust, typically at least $2000 some even more.

I did a lot of homework on this issue before I pulled the trigger because I was concerned about the same thing.

Regards,
Jim

The only time it didnt work out well, was specially my BMW, the aftermarket on the 328xi was zill, nill, nada... so everything came from BMW, even if I took it to non-BMW shops. Then came the fun when you realize that BMW maint was going to cost only about $30 more then the 8 local shops ... you just take it to BMW instead since its easier to warranty claim any mishaps. Brake rotors and pads + ABS sensors turned to the tune of $1600 and I sold the car about 2 months after, just didnt want to deal with it all the time as a daily lol.

But I know there are deals to be had on the "older" porsches, and I have been considering the Cayman S non-stop for the last 4 years, will still consider it in the near future lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice! I have been considering getting an older Boxster one day as a weekend car. They become surprisingly affordable once they reach a certain age, probably because the maintenance and repair costs cause people to get rid of them. I don't mind, since I do all of my own work and I've priced parts from RockAuto and they are not bad.
Maybe after the kids move out.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations on the new ride!

My sister and brother in law own a Porsche repair & maintenance shop about 30 min from you in Stockton. Tell them Chuck sent you, and they'll take excellent care of all your automotive needs.

Cali Auto: Exclusive Porsche Mechanic®
I appreciate the info, but Cali Auto is in Stockbridge GA, that is 3 hours North. I got all excited when I saw stockton.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So how much more fun/faster is it than the ST? Is it night and day? 315hp and 2900lbs on the boxter? How much better does it handle?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Great color choice. I'm super jealous.

I want a 981 Cayman S/GTS as my next car purchase. It will be the weekend fun car while the ST will be the daily. It seems like there are a ton to choose from on autotrader right now. Just not the right time for me currently. Hopefully summer of 2018.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So how much more fun/faster is it than the ST? Is it night and day? 315hp and 2900lbs on the boxter? How much better does it handle?
These are very good questions. It is tough to fairly compare a FWD 4 door hot hatch to a RWD 2 door.

The second and some change faster 0-60 is noticeable.
The 2 second and change in 1/4 mile is noticeable.
Corner exit acceleration is leaps and bounds better. You can get on the power sooner and harder.
Braking is better all the way around. Total stopping power, feel, and longevity are leaps and bounds better.

Fun is harder to quantify.
Most of the fun I had in the ST was in the mountains making the owners of Porsche, Audi, Corvette, and other much more expensive much better on paper sports cars ask themselves why they spent at least 3 times the money. Because in the hands of a good driver in the mountains staying in your lane the ST is very capable. In that regard the ST is hard to beat.

I would leave a ST in the mountains driving the Boxster. I haven't had the Boxster on track yet, but will soon (Oct 19th VIR) I think the ST would fall further behind more quickly.

When I bought the ST I still needed 4 doors, now I do not. Knowing what I know now and if there was no need for 4 doors would I spend 26K on a new ST or 40K on a used Boxster S, Boxster S without a doubt.

Over all I find the Boxster more fun to drive day in and day out, this is my daily driver.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thats awesome. I like hearing from guys that have experience with different cars. Its not all about speed, sometimes a slower car is just more fun, however I don't doubt the Boxter S being the clear winner here. :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I'm not a fan of most Porsches other than the legends (911s and such) but this is very nice and I'm definitely jealous. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts