Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how (most) you guys feel about automatic carwashes, but I'm a manager at a brand new location, and needless to say I get free washes. anywho, I heard something from a customer about the Foci and how our gasdoors generally get opened thru the wash which is true at least for me, but he said something to the effect about how water will get in the tank and fk the car up, so he always tapes it shut. well I have a horrible memory and bad anxiety so I almost never remember or get the chance. I also thought it safe to assume Ford designed it for instances similar to this and that it generally shouldn't be a problem..

sorry typing this before I clock in, which now I'm late. hope this made sense. any comments anyone on this?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I know how (most) you guys feel about automatic carwashes, but I'm a manager at a brand new location, and needless to say I get free washes. anywho, I heard something from a customer about the Foci and how our gasdoors generally get opened thru the wash which is true at least for me, but he said something to the effect about how water will get in the tank and fk the car up, so he always tapes it shut. well I have a horrible memory and bad anxiety so I almost never remember or get the chance. I also thought it safe to assume Ford designed it for instances similar to this and that it generally shouldn't be a problem..

sorry typing this before I clock in, which now I'm late. hope this made sense. any comments anyone on this?

My gas door doesn't open in the touch free laser Wash or the soft touch.I just got my new pressure washer couple days ago so they'll be no more of that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're really concerned, there are locking gas caps for this car. I know cjponyparts.com sells one.

For the record I've never experienced this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I cant say i have heard of any mk3 focus (or other car without a cap) getting water in their tank from a car wash on any of the forums i visit. I sadly have spent a lot of time on forums since the mk3 was released. I cant even say i have heard people complain about the fuel door even opening in the car wash (id be more worried about that getting ripped off.) Also, the fuel door isnt air or water tight to begin with, so water getting in that area shouldnt be a big deal

·
Registered
538 Posts
Touchless has not put water in the tank and the cover stayed closed. I exclusively use touchless because at home we're on a well with high iron content.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our wash isn't touchless and I believe it's a water jet that pushes it in, releasing it. then lately the past few times I've gone thru the air Jets at the end close it back. mirrors also get knocked forward then backwards to their original location

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is horse ****, I don't really believe the wash would open the fuel door the whole way maybe click it so it's not flush...maybe but opening it, 99% of the time not happening. Now beyond that the tank has the capless lid where until you put the fuel filler in there's a lil flip check valve of a sort that keeps the tank closed also, trying pumping alil gas without pushing it through the metal flip valve it won't go into your tank. Just because we don't have a fuel cap it still is vacuum on it so for it to have vacuum that means that lil flip valve has to have a pretty decent seal when shut. If at all it was somehow possible for a few drips of water to get into your tank a few drips aren't going to do anything.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The machine would really have to press hard to un-lock the door & even then it still wouldn’t open all the way, so this is highly unlikely & I’ve never heard anything from Ford about this happening on any 2012 & up Focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
This is horse ****, I don't really believe the wash would open the fuel door the whole way maybe click it so it's not flush...maybe but opening it, 99% of the time not happening. Now beyond that the tank has the capless lid where until you put the fuel filler in there's a lil flip check valve of a sort that keeps the tank closed also, trying pumping alil gas without pushing it through the metal flip valve it won't go into your tank. Just because we don't have a fuel cap it still is vacuum on it so for it to have vacuum that means that lil flip valve has to have a pretty decent seal when shut. If at all it was somehow possible for a few drips of water to get into your tank a few drips aren't going to do anything.
The machine would really have to press hard to un-lock the door & even then it still wouldn’t open all the way, so this is highly unlikely & I’ve never heard anything from Ford about this happening on any 2012 & up Focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had both mirrors fold in or out (im trying to remember, it was quite alarming though)and gas tank flap open from a touchless. Full open. It intially clicks it, then as it goes through the angle change flings it open. It did fling back during the wash. I stopped using that place for obvious reasons. This happens.

I would not be concerned with water getting in though. Tearing the fuel door off, if it wasnt a touchless, then yes. Much concern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
Duece McCracken
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing