Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I noticed my 2016 Focus ST1 was overheating when idle. Popped the hood and noticed low coolant. Filled it up and problem solved, until it happened again a month later. I also noticed my A/C wasn't pumping out cool air.

Ordered some UV dye to check for coolant leaks, but i'm guessing some A/C component is shot, and is leaking coolant. Wondering if anyone has experience with something similar??

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,653 Posts
Recently, I noticed my 2016 Focus ST1 was overheating when idle. Popped the hood and noticed low coolant. Filled it up and problem solved, until it happened again a month later. I also noticed my A/C wasn't pumping out cool air.

Ordered some UV dye to check for coolant leaks, but i'm guessing some A/C component is shot, and is leaking coolant. Wondering if anyone has experience with something similar??
There are several places coolant can leak slowly and give little evidence until too late:
  • The little small diameter pipe that runs from the expansion tank across the front to a manifold just above the transmission - this pipe can fracture inside the fittings
  • The heater matrix hoses can leak at the fittings on the firewall - this is not apparent at first because the leak tends to get absorbed by the sound absorbing material around them.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM, JBR SS Arm, 245/40R18
1,156 Posts
Are your grille shutters open?

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,402 Posts
Do not drive an overheating Car!

That being said, when the engine is over temp, the ac is shut down on purpose.

Aside from the leak, Is your cooling fan running?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do not drive an overheating Car!

That being said, when the engine is over temp, the ac is shut down on purpose.

Aside from the leak, Is your cooling fan running?
I am experiencing the samething... every morning when I turn on the car I see my reservoir empty and all the coolant on the floor.. always have to be refilling the coolant, withing 10 mins of mild driving the oil temps go from 90F to 180F throughout those 10mins.. my leak is between the firewall where the heater core hoses connect... that’s what I’m guessing...

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,653 Posts
I am experiencing the samething... every morning when I turn on the car I see my reservoir empty and all the coolant on the floor.. always have to be refilling the coolant, withing 10 mins of mild driving the oil temps go from 90F to 180F throughout those 10mins.. my leak is between the firewall where the heater core hoses connect... that’s what I’m guessing...
You are on borrowed time, sir - plastic engine parts (not to mention head gaskets) do not like to be treated like that!! But, if you have visible coolant on the floor, it should be fairly easy to pinpoint the leak now ?

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,402 Posts
You are on borrowed time, sir - plastic engine parts (not to mention head gaskets) do not like to be treated like that!! But, if you have visible coolant on the floor, it should be fairly easy to pinpoint the leak now ?
The elephant in the room Is, when you overheat an aluminum Engine you weaken the metal. When you warp the head, blow the gasket, and go to make a repair, the head bolt threads pull right out of the engine block.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,653 Posts
The elephant in the room Is, when you overheat an aluminum Engine you weaken the metal. When you warp the head, blow the gasket, and go to make a repair, the head bolt threads pull right out of the engine block.
Ohhhhhh :unsure: - that would be fun and games

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know I don’t drive the car that much I don’t let it get over 180f and car runs good responds good it’s just everytime it sits coolant reservoir goes almost empty..... I will take it to a local mechanic who knows about to the platform since he owns one and we will see what’s the problem.....

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,653 Posts
I know I don’t drive the car that much I don’t let it get over 180f and car runs good responds good it’s just everytime it sits coolant reservoir goes almost empty..... I will take it to a local mechanic who knows about to the platform since he owns one and we will see what’s the problem.....
Let us know - I'm guessing heater core hoses at the firewall and/or the little thin plastic pipe from the expansion tank to the plastic water manifold by the side of the motor above the gearbox.......will anybody offer me odds on that bet ?? ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Let us know - I'm guessing heater core hoses at the firewall and/or the little thin plastic pipe from the expansion tank to the plastic water manifold by the side of the motor above the gearbox.......will anybody offer me odds on that bet ?? ;)
I'll bet you're odd. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope it is will update you guys on that for sure!! I hope is something small.. 1 year of owning this car engine went bye bye.... it’s a lesson learned though never get cars from private dealerships... no warranty...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the A/C working, blown fuse in engine box. Found the coolant leak, looks like it's coming from the top right tube connection in the photo. Any idea where it goes and how to fix??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts