Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New user here. I'm picking up my new to me 2014 Performance Blue ST3 at Ken Garff Ford in Salt Lake City, UT on Friday and I'm excited to be in the club! I've owned a number of turbo cars in the past:
  • multiple Turbobricks (Volvo 7/9xx Turbo Wagons)
  • Mitsubishi Starion (1989, last year, loved that car)
  • Saab 9-3 (2003)
  • 425K+ mile Saab 9000 Turbo
  • Saab SPG
  • 2015 Kia Forte5 SX - great car once I got it tuned and it behaved like a turbo rather than the horrific factory tune...
  • 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero that I just sold to my son (tuned, catless DP, 19T turbo, fun big car)
  • Just bought a 2002 VW GTI (1.8T) for my daughter's first car. Yeah, call me crazy...
  • Wife drives a 2016 Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost

So, I've got some experience with boosted cars, but I'm really excited about this one. I've had an ST on my auto bucket list since the first time I saw them, so this feels like an accomplishment.

Now, the car I'm buying is modded (FSWerks CAI, some exhaust that I don't recognize, etc.), so I'm wondering if the previous owner (or any of the 5 previous owners) are on here and can give a little more history about it.

Hope to meet some people now that the world is opening back up!

·
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,397 Posts
Welcome! Nice looking car! Fill us in on all the mods once you get it home!

·
Registered
*2016 Ford Focus ST
319 Posts
I like the wheels. Welcome though and congrats.🎈🎊

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM, JBR SS Arm, 245/40R18
1,156 Posts
Welcome!

What, no Saabaru?! 😛😁

The Saab variable compression was interesting but got axed.

People I knew that had 9000s really loved them.
Got my eye on a silver wagon parked under a tree near here without any sign, but figure it's a late model auto without a good engine and would be disappointed to inquire.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome!

What, no Saabaru?! 😛😁

Got my eye on a silver wagon parked under a tree near here without any sign, but figure it's a late model auto without a good engine and would be disappointed to inquire.
my best bud in high school had an 80's something Saab 900 turbo. man we covered a lot of ground and left a wake of debauchery in that car over those years. the thing was pumpkin orange too, you could see it coming a mile away. it was a really good driving car for it's era

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!

What, no Saabaru?! 😛😁

Yeah, I actually did have a Saab 9-2X, but just the Linear, not the Aero, so it was the 2.5i engine. I had a few Subarus scattered throughout my collection, but all of them N/A (read: slowwwwww). I really did love my 9000. It was a great cruising car, but 425K miles on any car is a lot and it really started showing its age. I had to replace both rear brake lines (rusted out), the fuel pump twice (pump bad at first, then harness to the pump the second time, which may well have lead to the pump failure, now that I think about it) and it just had some issues. But I put the Aero driver's seat in and I still think it's one of the most comfortable long distance seats of any car. Sadly, it developed a weird steering box issue as a result of a crappy tow truck driver who pulled the car out at an angle and ruined the box, so I had to sell it for parts. Still ran and drove, just didn't want to turn right. Like ever. :)

But my favorite Saab is still my SPG (1989 900 Turbo with suspension enhancements). That thing cornered on rails and it would move (once you got past the typical 80s turbo lag).

I just realized I forgot my Turbo Dodges. Shame on me!
  • 1984 Dodge Omni GLH-T upgraded to a TurboII spec with intercooler and bits from a GLHS
  • 1987 Shelby CSX (two of them actually, #76 and #546 IIRC) - this was the Shadow that was taken by Carroll Shelby and intercooled and enhanced. Fun car at 22psi!
  • 1988 Dodge Lancer Shelby - a heaping pile of junk I stupidly traded one of my CSXs for. Worst trade EVAR...
  • 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z - Black with Saddle Brown interior, never got to really enjoy it because I got it with a bad fuel pump and I had to sell it to fund the rebuild of my aforementioned Starion

The one "unicorn" I always wanted when I was younger was an XR4Ti, and I almost had one, but it got sniped out from under me because I had to wait for the weekend to drive and get it from the seller and he didn't honor my deposit. This is really making me realize, I'm old and I've had too many cars. :)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hello, greetings from Philly, Snowbird/SLC is the only place out west I have been too!!

Love the car, Volk wheels?? I spent about a month looking for a prefacelift ST3, found my car 3 miles from me:)

1st thing, Purge Valve (new purge valve assembly) make sure that is replaced/ok

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
439 Posts
Welcome fellow “old and had too many cars to count” there is a TON of great information here. Some ok folks too haha. Just kidding. Best forum out there for ST shenanigans.
I suggest you search the site using google and not the built in search. E.g type “site:focusst.org FMIC” and you’ll get all results from this sight for front mounted intercoolers.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
521 Posts
Hi all,
New user here. I'm picking up my new to me 2014 Performance Blue ST3 at Ken Garff Ford in Salt Lake City, UT on Friday and I'm excited to be in the club! I've owned a number of turbo cars in the past:
  • multiple Turbobricks (Volvo 7/9xx Turbo Wagons)
  • Mitsubishi Starion (1989, last year, loved that car)
  • Saab 9-3 (2003)
  • 425K+ mile Saab 9000 Turbo
  • Saab SPG
  • 2015 Kia Forte5 SX - great car once I got it tuned and it behaved like a turbo rather than the horrific factory tune...
  • 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero that I just sold to my son (tuned, catless DP, 19T turbo, fun big car)
  • Just bought a 2002 VW GTI (1.8T) for my daughter's first car. Yeah, call me crazy...
  • Wife drives a 2016 Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost

So, I've got some experience with boosted cars, but I'm really excited about this one. I've had an ST on my auto bucket list since the first time I saw them, so this feels like an accomplishment.

Now, the car I'm buying is modded (FSWerks CAI, some exhaust that I don't recognize, etc.), so I'm wondering if the previous owner (or any of the 5 previous owners) are on here and can give a little more history about it.

Hope to meet some people now that the world is opening back up!
Finally, another Saaber. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, greetings from Philly, Snowbird/SLC is the only place out west I have been too!!

Love the car, Volk wheels?? I spent about a month looking for a prefacelift ST3, found my car 3 miles from me:)

1st thing, Purge Valve (new purge valve assembly) make sure that is replaced/ok
I don't think they're Volks, but I can't tell what they actually are. Maybe they are Volks? Thanks for the hint about the Purge Valve. I'll be sure to check that. (For the record, Philly is one of my favorite cities. I grew up in Virginia and moved to Southern Utah from the Boston area, and we visited Philly a good number of times because it's so charming.)

Welcome fellow “old and had too many cars to count” there is a TON of great information here. Some ok folks too haha. Just kidding. Best forum out there for ST shenanigans.
I suggest you search the site using google and not the built in search. E.g type “site:focusst.org FMIC” and you’ll get all results from this sight for front mounted intercoolers.
I've been "devouring" the site leading up to this purchase and I agree there's a ton of great info here (and I likewise agree the search leaves a little to be desired. XenForo is SO much better than its predecessors in many ways, but vBulletin still had a superior search algorithm IMO.)

Finally, another Saaber. Welcome aboard!
Thanks! I'm sad to say that the 9-5 I sold my son is most likely my last Saab, unless I find an absolutely killer deal on a Viggen convertible. And let's face it, that's not likely to ever happen. Parts are just getting too scarce and too pricey because the hoarders don't want to let them go. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Joe R red14st2 Found the wheels. They're Vors TR37 (even the name is a Volk ripoff (Volk TE37 -> Vors TR37?). Oh well, I really like how they look too! TR37

Edit: Now that I look at it, they're only done in 5x114.3 bolt pattern, so either I have a set of custom drilled ones (doubtful) or I have adapters. Interesting development. :D

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
A youthster near me, with a Tuxedo black FoST has the Volk wheels in dark bronze, stealthy look! Those are some really nice ripoffs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
@MtnMan Oooo Shiny!
@riceboyler Oh yeah, welcome aboard! You have had a list of drool worthy cars for sure! I loved bombing around in my buddies Omelette. I had to choose between a Saab 9-5 and a Subaru Legacy wagon for my previous ride and the budget chose the Subie. I always loved the Saabs and the Volvo spool wagons.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
521 Posts
I don't think they're Volks, but I can't tell what they actually are. Maybe they are Volks? Thanks for the hint about the Purge Valve. I'll be sure to check that. (For the record, Philly is one of my favorite cities. I grew up in Virginia and moved to Southern Utah from the Boston area, and we visited Philly a good number of times because it's so charming.)

I've been "devouring" the site leading up to this purchase and I agree there's a ton of great info here (and I likewise agree the search leaves a little to be desired. XenForo is SO much better than its predecessors in many ways, but vBulletin still had a superior search algorithm IMO.)

Thanks! I'm sad to say that the 9-5 I sold my son is most likely my last Saab, unless I find an absolutely killer deal on a Viggen convertible. And let's face it, that's not likely to ever happen. Parts are just getting too scarce and too pricey because the hoarders don't want to let them go. :(
Have an 01 viggen 5DR sitting in the driveway. 17 years I. San Diego. Not a lick of rust on her.

Viggy stg3 GS full bolt on

99 T5 wmi Big T28 376hp/410fwtq

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
521 Posts
Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm doing a little drooling right now over both the wagon and the Viggen. Glad to see I'm among family here!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome aboard! The ST is my first boosted car (and first performance-oriented car) and I fell in love after the first test drive. Always been a hatchback fan. Love the blue and the wheels! You're in for a great time and a great bunch of dudes, but don't tell some of them that or their heads will balloon even further.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the club! Escape actually have the same engine so you can swap things that doesn't work :p

Also highly recommend stratified tunes if you planned to do so ) I did mine after driving stock for a year and only regret didn't do it on day 1. No more jerk on low gears and push so hard.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Look into LSPI. Basically stay out of boost in 5th or 6th gear.

These Ecoboost engines like to be wound out a little bit - avoid shifting where the RPMs are so low it lugs the engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts