Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 Tangerine ST1 in early January, 2017 and went all the way to Chicago to get it (I have family there). Everything went well, the car looked awesome when I picked it up, but on the drive home the weather forecast was off and it started snowing as soon as I hit Indiana. Though it wasn't too heavy it was slick, but the car stuck like glue and tracked really well, some of which might be due to the all season Pirellis that were optioned on it. As much as I would have preferred the Summer Goodyears I'm sure they would have been awful on the drive in the cold and snow so it worked out ok to have the Pirellis. I think BF Goodriches will be next when I wear out the stockers.
By the time I got back to my home area the car was encrusted in salt and I felt awful as I bought this as a good weather only car and I hoped it would never see salt, but oh well, I washed it, will wash it some more, and hopefully it will never see the corrosive stuff again.
As for options, just three: power sunroof, optional wheels with the painted calipers and the aforementioned all season rubber.
I don't plan on many mods but I will get the gas pedal riser bracket and possibly the Cobb shift shortener. I would not mind a little more sound but have a hard time cutting a brand new, perfectly good exhaust out of the car so maybe that will come down the road. I've listened to many a Youtube file on replacement exhausts and to my ear the Ford performance exhaust, which appears to be made by Borla but which has an extra resonator that the Borla branded model doesn't have, sounds nicest to my ear. I'm wide open to any aftermarket exhaust opinions other members may have.
A little bit down the road the stiffer third engine mount is quite possible and that should do it for mods.

Love the car, have learned tons reading the different parts of this site and have been lurking for over a year now, just waiting till I could pull the trigger and buy my car (I chose an ST1 because I'm a bigger guy and don't fit in the Recaros well (yes, I tried, several times) and some of you will laugh but I feared the Sony stereo in the ST2s and ST3s as in my opinion they haven't made a quality product in over twenty years and many, many people on this forum say the sound coming from it is pretty bad, soooo, ST1 it was. The main thing I coveted from the higher models is the automatic climate control, but you can't have everything.

Thanks for reading. :cool:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome. I am in Watertown.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Welcome! Love the color, congrats! (My husband says the same thing about the sound system). I worry about that corrosive stuff, too. Colorado used to only use gravel, then a few years ago they went to magnesium chloride, and now they're using salt brine. UGH.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. Yes, the color is certainly eye catching. Pity they went to salt and brine in Colorado, the western part of the state is high up on my list of possible places to move to in the future and not having to deal with salt was a plus. Still under consideration, though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome. I live in the Binghamton area. Not too many ST's around here, although I see a black one every once in awhile. Living in Ithaca you should check out some of the autocrosses. There are four close regions to you, Finger Lakes SCCA, CNY SCCA, Glen SCCA, and SNYR SCCA. The Glen and SNYR regions host several events in Ithaca and most of those regions have their other events within 45 minutes of you. You should come check them out. Usually I am the only ST. This car is alot of fun. Good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the ST. We have a TS 3 our selves. Prob the first mod you should get is the RMM. Keep that motor from banging around. Have fun it's a great ride?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will look around for the autocrosses and yes, I am considering the rear motor mount. I agree that there aren't many STs in the area, the local dealer has not stocked one in three years and you have to go to Rochester to find them in any numbers. I just saw a blue one in Ithaca today with black steelies and likely snow tires but mine is put away in the garage. I did see a black one in Elmira a few weeks ago that was fairly heavily modded, lowered, louder exhaust and a whiff of raw gas whenever he sped up, I'm guessing that's the tuning?
Thank you for the replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts