Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was going to say I did a tune and I got distracted. I'm guessing I pushed the wrong button for posting. Sorry lol.
But I did a freek tune, intake, transmission mount upgrade first. Was running this for the life of the car and had no problems. I didn't got for crazy gains and I felt like the car was really reliable.
Was going to do a downpipe and intercooler but I just never got around to it unfortunately.
But the tune opened up the car so much it worked out for me in the long run. It felt like I was towing someone in the stock tune and once the tune was put on it felt so much lighter. Don't know if that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
I don’t think anyone answered your BOV question, you dont need to retune for a bov, this car doesn’t have a MAF so it doesn’t need the blow off air to be recirculated.
I think the GFB adjustable BOV is what you’d want, it allows you to choose how much air is blown off and recirculated which allows you to control the volume of the sound.

the best mod you can do would be an intercooler, but you need to consider all your goals. If you plan to stay on the stock tune it’s not as much of a concern, but if you’re itching to get a custom tune then I’d highly recommend an intercooler before anything else.
An intercooler and a tune gets you 90% of the way there.

RMM is a great first upgrade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Definitely a tune. They open up the st so much. Night and day difference.
When it comes to tuning is an access port really the best go to option? Coming from modding old 5.0 motors pretty had dyno tunes and sct hand tuners if I remeber correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i personally noticed the biggest difference in performance with a custom tune. besides that, definitely upgrade your intercooler first. i was new to modding and the first real thing i did to any car was take my front bumper off and replace the intercooler. it was scary but ended up being fairly easy with the plethora of videos out there.
Its seems the intercooler and tune is the way to go. Its wasnt so much the install that worried me I was under the assumption that the stock intercooler on a some what stock car would be enough. Who did your tune?

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
When it comes to tuning is an access port really the best go to option? Coming from modding old 5.0 motors pretty had dyno tunes and sct hand tuners if I remeber correctly.

AP3 is the greatest handheld tuning device ever...

I miss it so much.

Stuck with SCT on the Edge Sport, and HP Tuners on the Bullitt.

Cobb tuning support via Accessport is the champion. Tons of great tuners to choose from. Best device.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
AP3 is the greatest handheld tuning device ever...

I miss it so much.

Stuck with SCT on the Edge Sport, and HP Tuners on the Bullitt.

Cobb tuning support via Accessport is the champion. Tons of great tuners to choose from. Best device.
Sct back in the day used to be pretty good. The access port was really my first choice but what are the differences between the v2 and v3? Just a newer version been seeing some of the used v2 for sale.

Originally a mustang guy so that bullitt must be nice. Any big plans for it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don’t think anyone answered your BOV question, you dont need to retune for a bov, this car doesn’t have a MAF so it doesn’t need the blow off air to be recirculated.
I think the GFB adjustable BOV is what you’d want, it allows you to choose how much air is blown off and recirculated which allows you to control the volume of the sound.

the best mod you can do would be an intercooler, but you need to consider all your goals. If you plan to stay on the stock tune it’s not as much of a concern, but if you’re itching to get a custom tune then I’d highly recommend an intercooler before anything else.
An intercooler and a tune gets you 90% of the way there.

RMM is a great first upgrade.
Thank you for the input on the bov system. I wasnt sure if the recirculation would effect these cars. I got the idea when researching boosted cars. I looked in the gfb bov and they are really nice. The turbo smart 50/50 looks to do the same thing right?

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
Sct back in the day used to be pretty good. The access port was really my first choice but what are the differences between the v2 and v3? Just a newer version been seeing some of the used v2 for sale.

Originally a mustang guy so that bullitt must be nice. Any big plans for it?

AP3 is the way to go, heck, they' ve been out for 9 years, the AP2 is a rarity, and not worth the small savings.

SCT just isnt even close to AP3, both in the device, and actual tuning ability through the software. Cobb doesnt support many vehicles, but if they do, its the best in slot.

Plans for my Bullitt?

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
AP3 is the way to go, heck, they' ve been out for 9 years, the AP2 is a rarity, and not worth the small savings.

SCT just isnt even close to AP3, both in the device, and actual tuning ability through the software. Cobb doesnt support many vehicles, but if they do, its the best in slot.

Plans for my Bullitt?

Got it ap3 it is!

Thank you for the thread car looks amazing. Love that green man good luck with it! I will be following the build for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I enjoy the cobb because you have flexibility. I was able to do an etune which may not have been as good as a dyno tune, but feel like guys like freek tune has had so many of the same platform that they can tweak all of the maps to be just as good. I was also able to flash back to my factory tune right before selling it which is a huge bonus. Tweaks were also done via email and data logging which was very convenient

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,907 Posts
Thank you for the input on the bov system. I wasnt sure if the recirculation would effect these cars. I got the idea when researching boosted cars. I looked in the gfb bov and they are really nice. The turbo smart 50/50 looks to do the same thing right?

The Turbosmart 50/50 ports are smaller then the GFB, which impacts both volume and tone.
The GFB has a lever that is adjustable anywhere between full closed and open.

The other adjustments on both impact the operation of the valve. You don't want the idle to dip coming off boost or get backfires or flutter. Look up the instructions for details.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its seems the intercooler and tune is the way to go. Its wasnt so much the install that worried me I was under the assumption that the stock intercooler on a some what stock car would be enough. Who did your tune?

i found a used sct x4 for like $200 and couldn’t pass it up so i went with Unleashed. haven’t been disappointed whatsoever. eventually i’ll upgrade to a cobb ap and probably get the adapt x tune.

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
i found a used sct x4 for like $200 and couldn’t pass it up so i went with Unleashed. haven’t been disappointed whatsoever. eventually i’ll upgrade to a cobb ap and probably get the adapt x tune.
Torrie is the only reason to ever go SCT. He is awesome, great record too. CS is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
The Turbosmart 50/50 ports are smaller then the GFB, which impacts both volume and tone.
The GFB has a lever that is adjustable anywhere between full closed and open.

The other adjustments on both impact the operation of the valve. You don't want the idle to dip coming off boost or get backfires or flutter. Look up the instructions for details.
the valve is solenoid actuated it shouldn’t really have any effect on your idle rpms or dipping below idle rpms. You should check your purge valve

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,907 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts