Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up a 2018 ST and loving it so far. Looking to do some basic mods to make it ride and sound a little better. I will list below what I have planned and the questions I have.

I have on order a innovative rmm which I felt needed to be my first mod to deal with some of the wheel hop and torque steer. As for the install for this it seems pretty straight forward but if any one has any tips or tricks let me know.

Next to be purchased is a simple new air filter to get some better air flow. What are your thoughts on k&n compared to a green filter? Or any other brand?

Now to discuss the blow off valve upgrade with these cars. You see alot of people going with the turbsmart bov which does seem nice and was my first choice. The biggest issue I see with these upgrades is the lack of recirculation of fully venting to the atmosphere. Does the ecu take into consideration this recirculation of air? If it's not there will it compensate for this?

I think that's it for now as for questions. If any one has any other ideas for good first mods or things to check on a new to you focus st.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front mount intercooler first mod. Also search the site for LSPI.

Welcome and congrats on the car. Great bunch of guys here and a wealth of info!
Thank you this forum looks great so far.

I have heard amazing things from upgrading the intercooler just thought it was a big step for a first mod on a stock turbo.

I assume lspi/knock is a common issue with these motors to look out for? Or do you mean there is some sort or upgrade or part to add to prevent this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't waste the money on the air filter unless you're maxing out the potential of the intake system it's not gaining you anything worth noting... Unless you really like cleaning and oiling filters regularly.
Hmm I really havnt seen any one not really recommend a new filter. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to help move some solid air and some increased turbo noises hahaha.

·
Registered
‘17 Focus ST1 RR
71 Posts
Thank you this forum looks great so far.

I have heard amazing things from upgrading the intercooler just thought it was a big step for a first mod on a stock turbo.

I assume lspi/knock is a common issue with these motors to look out for? Or do you mean there is some sort or upgrade or part to add to prevent this?

LSPI, Drive normally, until your oil gets to normal operating temp (165), stay out of the turbo unless you're taching over 3K, Never go WOT in fifth or six gear unless you're over 100 mph. Run 93 octane gas if you can get it where you live and use a good gen2 oil that helps prevent LSPI. Do no lug your engine. Not sure if I forgot anything or not, this is all pretty new to me too. I'm just echoing what I've been taught here.

·
Super Moderator
10,518 Posts
Hmm I really havnt seen any one not really recommend a new filter. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to help move some solid air and some increased turbo noises hahaha.

The factory filter and intake tract can flow more air than the teeny tiny KO3 turbo can; the factory stuff is more than adequate...save your money and get a new intercooler; the factory unit is crap and heat soaks instantly.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
612 Posts
The factory filter and intake tract can flow more air than the teeny tiny KO3 turbo can; the factory stuff is more than adequate...save your money and get a new intercooler; the factory unit is crap and heat soaks instantly.
Yep, and a filter alone won't get you any additional turbo noises, either. A hot air intake like most aftermarket units will get you a little intake noise but at the cost of higher intake air temps.

If you want turbo noises get a catless downpipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LSPI, Drive normally, until your oil gets to normal operating temp (165), stay out of the turbo unless you're taching over 3K, Never go WOT in fifth or six gear unless you're over 100 mph. Run 93 octane gas if you can get it where you live and use a good gen2 oil that helps prevent LSPI. Do no lug your engine. Not sure if I forgot anything or not, this is all pretty new to me too. I'm just echoing what I've been taught here.
Thanks for the info I will dig further into it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good point, do you recommend any supporting mods with an intercooler? Different spark plugs? A tune? Etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, and a filter alone won't get you any additional turbo noises, either. A hot air intake like most aftermarket units will get you a little intake noise but at the cost of higher intake air temps.

If you want turbo noises get a catless downpipe.
Not looking to have a super loud exhaust note, is that possible with a catless downpipe? I assume you would need a tune at the same time.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
612 Posts
I have the stock exhaust with a catless downpipe and there's almost no difference in exhaust note. You hear more turbo and there's a little more snarl to the tone, but not much.

·
Super Moderator
10,518 Posts
That's a good point, do you recommend any supporting mods with an intercooler? Different spark plugs? A tune? Etc?

You don't necessarily need a tune for any bolt on mod on the ST, but, you will not get any power increase without a tune. The factory calibration is torque targeting and will dial back fueling/timing/boost once the torque requested by the factory calibration is reached. No need to change plugs unless you get a tune. Personally I use the Monster Tuned Adapt X calibration. Here is some reading for you;

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
74 Posts
No supporting mods needed for the aftermarket intercooler. Most aftermarket intercoolers require that you remove the ags (active grill shutter) system. The ags is not very important anyways which is why people don’t usually hesitate to remove it. Regarding a catless downpipe, you don’t need a tune for it as long as you run a defouler. Defoulers move the oxygen sensor farther back so that it does not cause any engine codes.

Edit: I believe you actually have to run a defouler at all times because tuners are no longer removing the code which shows up after installing a catless downpipe.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,931 Posts
I have a high flow catted downpipe and it's a little louder than stock, but in a good way when you get on it.

Catless should get you some spool noises too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up a 2018 ST and loving it so far. Looking to do some basic mods to make it ride and sound a little better. I will list below what I have planned and the questions I have.

I have on order a innovative rmm which I felt needed to be my first mod to deal with some of the wheel hop and torque steer. As for the install for this it seems pretty straight forward but if any one has any tips or tricks let me know.

Next to be purchased is a simple new air filter to get some better air flow. What are your thoughts on k&n compared to a green filter? Or any other brand?

Now to discuss the blow off valve upgrade with these cars. You see alot of people going with the turbsmart bov which does seem nice and was my first choice. The biggest issue I see with these upgrades is the lack of recirculation of fully venting to the atmosphere. Does the ecu take into consideration this recirculation of air? If it's not there will it compensate for this?

I think that's it for now as for questions. If any one has any other ideas for good first mods or things to check on a new to you focus st.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely a tune. They open up the st so much. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i personally noticed the biggest difference in performance with a custom tune. besides that, definitely upgrade your intercooler first. i was new to modding and the first real thing i did to any car was take my front bumper off and replace the intercooler. it was scary but ended up being fairly easy with the plethora of videos out there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts