Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
937 Posts
My previous turbo setup was using a CP-e manifold on a G25-660. I believe nearly every G series turbo uses a set of Vbands for connection so the should figuratively work. It worked great and made 533 WHP on E50 at 31 PSI.
One more follow up then, did you have a "stock" fitment down pipe then with your old setup or was it custom?

· Registered
2017 ST3-Stroked and Cornfed
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One more follow up then, did you have a "stock" fitment down pipe then with your old setup or was it custom?
It was a 3.5” Vband on a custom 3.5 downpipe. That was likely the only part of the system that needed a change.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Some stuff for your viewing pleasure. Copper coated OEM gasket, since I fire ringed the head I wanted to make certain I would get good seal and heat transfer so I sent it.
I ALSO learned that SP63 pinned the OEM cams. In the picture below my Piper UK cams are on the left, and the OEMs are in the right.
So given that the phaser “clock” doesn’t actually matter except for the timing chains to line up perfect, I timed the motor, set the phasers on (which in the ford dealership tech directions says nothing about a certain clock) and used a sharpie and a hole punch to mark the cams through the phaser holes. I then set them up on the mag drill in the vice (with plenty of rag to keep from scuffing the cams) and drilled a pilot, then a size matched hole .23 inches into the cam, which splits the difference for that existing dowel.

It all worked out when I put it back together, timed just fine, chain tension is fantastic. I did break a new cam gear bolt off in the cam, because the bolt head for the intake side was sticking out of the phaser a touch more.
Extracted that and got it squared away.

That G30-900 makes this engine look so tiny lol.
We are so close!

Wood Engineering Machine Auto part Scientific instrument

Household hardware Wire Auto part Plastic wrap Nail

Automotive tire Crankset Gear Vehicle brake Wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Auto part

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
having a touch of fitment issues with the custom manifold but nothing a friend who can weld stainless and some brews can’t fix.
Motor is in! Praying I have no leaks and my timing is perfect.

Start-up is a go for Monday it seems. We will see how she does
Tire Hand Automotive tire Tread Wheel

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Yellow

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It took long enough. Here’s the first startup.

2 oil leaks to address, still have to put the axles in it and the new swap bar links, and the charge pipes on but MAN I’m glad the hard part is finally over. We won’t talk about how I completed botched the timing procedure the first time, pinned the cam wrong and had to completely redo it.

It’s been a hell of a journey. Lots of learning for me and this is just the start. Will get some great videos of idle and driving once it’s dialed with the new setup and will post dyno vids and such when we put a fuel system in it and crank up the boosties.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
Awesome!!!

Oh and don't forget to put transmission fluid in after you put your axles in. Just trying to save you a disaster

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Awesome!!!

Oh and don't forget to put transmission fluid in after you put your axles in. Just trying to save you a disaster
Yes sir! It needs to be drained and refilled. I have some Motul DCTF to throw in it and see how it likes it.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
Yes sir! It needs to be drained and refilled. I have some Motul DCTF to throw in it and see how it likes it.
Unless it was already in the trans, you'll notice the difference. Not entirely sure why, but it's magic juice.

· Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
937 Posts
Tis magic, I notice flushes from motul to motul even after 30k mi
Unless it was already in the trans, you'll notice the difference. Not entirely sure why, but it's magic juice.

Reactions: TurboGT
41 - 52 of 52 Posts