• Pass on the car?

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Not new to performance cars but this would be my first "hothatch" if you will in the market for a new daily, would liek to buy new but not sure I can afford to go new quite yet.... With that said I did find a used car at a local dealer not far from me for 15,900 with some mods and 60k miles. Looking to pick your brain a bit and see what the community things about this car.

2013 Ford Focus ST ST2 ST3 West Chester PA 20314780

TIA! Really looking forward to getting back into something sporty currently have a modded Jetta TDI but its dog slow compared to most stuff and starting to kill me parts wise.:yawn:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As with any car, but more so with ours, you take a chance on the dog snot having been wrung out of it. Having said that, this is probably the way to go. It has everything I would do if I had a better budget. I think light colored cars should go with dark wheels and this has that perfect look. Good luck with your purchase. Oh, I should say I have 71k on my ST3 with no major issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would assume that any car with that many mods on it was driven hard. The risk I see is that you don't know how aggressive a tune the owner ran, and hence the amount of stress the engine and turbo were put under. With cars that get modded and driven hard I always suggest buying new or unmodified used.

It seems a little pricey considering a new 17 st1 can be had for $20k.

·
Registered
497 Posts
New ST1s are advertised under $20k around Cincinnati and Northern KY. I got mine for $18,249. That was with the upgraded wheels and painted calipers. The used prices around here were quite high.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would assume that any car with that many mods on it was driven hard. The risk I see is that you don't know how aggressive a tune the owner ran, and hence the amount of stress the engine and turbo were put under. With cars that get modded and driven hard I always suggest buying new or unmodified used.

It seems a little pricey considering a new 17 st1 can be had for $20k.
This idea that because a car is "driven hard" makes it unreliable is flawed logic imo. In fact many people who mod their cars and drive them appropriately actually put the time and energy into maintaining them appropriately vs a car kept in stock trim. Driving a car with WOT to redline doesn't undermine it's reliability.

Now, I would agree about the quality of the tune. If one modifies this car and chooses a poor tuner, then I agree you have a point, but I totally disagree that because a car has a lot of mods you should run away. Buying a car, or sportbike with costly mods already installed prevents you from having to buy them yourself at retail, if you were inclined to do so anyways. I've saved a lot of money over the years doing just that, and honestly speaking never had a single bad experience. I do my homework though prior to purchase, which is highly advisable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep seeing people get out the door pricing for around 21k but I have talked to multiple local dealers and for a st2 option group I'm looking at 28k out the door, if I could get down to around 23k I do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The rims alone are a good enough reason to buy this hot hatch.
Just do it! :cool2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts