Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2018 Ford Focus ST with the ST2 package. I have been loving the car so far. I am a big fan of technology and understand that with updates can come new features. Because I am new to this technology, I am not fully understanding some of the threads I have been reading and was hoping someone could help explain things a little more. Currently, my car has Sync 3 version 3.0 build 17276. I have done some searches and this seems to be an older build. At least I see older posts about this build. I have tried connecting to my wifi and checking for updates. I have tried the USB method. I have tried doing a master reset, but no updates. Am I really on the latest build?

I have seen people talking about using sync 3 version 3.3 or something like that in other threads. Are they installing versions of sync that are meant for other vehicles, but unofficially compatible with the Focus ST? Is there any extra features in those builds that make it worth trying to install them?

Is the only way to get the ST performance splash screens to permanently show up by using the special software I've seen and a Bluetooth OBD II plug?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Cliff- I have a 2017 that I purchased new, and I have done one or two updates but am on version 3.0 as well. Both updates that I installed were attempted via wifi, but neither seemed to progress, so they were installed via USB stick method, which worked flawlessly (for me). There may be a later version that works, but 3.0 is the latest (according to Ford, at least for my region (Northeastern USA).

There are many other (in my opinion worthwhile) changes that can be made to Sync using Forscan and a compatible USB OBD interface tool. I personally added climate controls to the Sync 3 interface (which also adds basic hands free control as well), and I added global windows, navigation prompts to the gauge cluster, and the "ST" splash screen.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I meant to add- if you have not found this yet- this is a good tutorial on Forscan:

There is a worthwhile thread on the FocusRS.org list that elaborates on known changes to the Focus ST/RS:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your build number? I have tried the USB method and even left it in and drove around for a while, but nothing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The version 3.4 update, from what I understand, can only be applied (through standard approved methods), to units that shipped with 3.2. This is mostly 2019+ models (though from what I read some super late 2018s may also have it. This update requires the larger 1.5gb partition, as opposed to the 1.0 gb partition earlier sync 3 units have. I take this to mean that no US-model Focus takes the 3.4 update, unless you do the bypass method (do a quick Google search).

3.0 will be the latest version for you as of the time of this post.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What is your build number? I have tried the USB method and even left it in and drove around for a while, but nothing.
Build Number 19205. The dealership set up an account when I purchased the car on the Ford User website, and when I logged in (which I rarely do) it told me that there was an update, and gave me instructions and a link to download the update if I chose to install it via USB method.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very interesting. So the gauge cluster in 2016-18 models (equipped with nav) don't give turn-by-turn directions in the gauge cluster like the 13-15 models do?

What changes to the APIM did you have to do to enable this?
I know it's a laughable thing to some, but I use the factory nav (as opposed to Wayz or whatever is linked to your phone) and I find that it works quite well. I do not have any knowledge of the availability of turn-by-turn directions in the gauge cluster being available in other model years, but there is a simple APIM change that enables it, and it works perfectly. I just cannot understand why Ford wouldn't enable it by default, or why there isn't a toggle in the on-screen menu to enable or disable that functionality. The change, is simple:

Go to IPC module config (not the as-built line). Enable "Navigation Repeater" and write. This changes 720-28-01 xxAx xxxx xxxx to xxBx xxxx xxxx

I feel the same way about the fact that there is no climate controls on the center screen by default. I know that they are right there on the dash anyway, but I prefer to enable it using voice commands, and turning that feature on using Forscan adds that functionality like it was designed to be there. Must be something related to liability .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Build Number 19205. The dealership set up an account when I purchased the car on the Ford User website, and when I logged in (which I rarely do) it told me that there was an update, and gave me instructions and a link to download the update if I chose to install it via USB method.
I have build 17276 and when trying the USB update, nothing happens.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have build 17276 and when trying the USB update, nothing happens.
This may or may not help you, but try going to owner.ford.com and creating an account (or signing in if you have one already). In the dark blue header should be a line of links: "Owner Home, Services, Support, Ford Pass". If you are logged in you will see some basic info on your car (the year, make and model, your local Ford dealership, length of warranty remaining etc) and if you click on "Support" in the dark blue header, you will see "SYNC Software Updates" as an option under "Quick Links" on the next page. If you select that, it should tell you if there are any pending updates to SYNC in your car, and where to download the update, and how to install it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
By the way- if you have any "Ford Pass" points on your account, they will be displayed there as well. I was under the impression that Ford Pass points could only be redeemed for service (and I am not interested in Ford or any other dealership touching my car unless completely necessary), but I discovered that Ford will redeem those points in their parts department, so instead of wasting them / letting them expire, I bought 5 quarts of synthetic Ford Motorsport oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you format the USB drive as exFAT, or FAT32? Did you extract the folders to the drive, or just leave the entire zip file on the USB?
I formated as exfat. I tried extracting the files to the drive. When that didn't work. I also out the zip file on the drive with the extracted files. Ford's diagram showed the zip on the drive with the extracted files for windows computers. On Macs, it showed extracted files only I believe.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think I extracted the files to the USB drive (as the instructions on the Ford Owners website directed) and it worked immediately. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it makes a difference which USB port you use. IIRC, you have to use the one in front of the gear lever on the dash, as opposed to the ones inside the center bin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I initially tried the one by gear lever by dash, but have tried other techniques with USB in the storage competent port as it has a ring around it making me think it had a special purpose in some sort of way.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is from the 2017 Focus Owner's Manual:

Updating Your System
You can choose to download the update onto a USB drive or use Wi-Fi to deliver automatic updates.
USB Updates
To use the USB update you need to log into your owner account and visit the SYNC software update page.

The website notifies you if an update is available. You can then select to download the update.
You will need an empty USB drive. Please check the website for minimum requirements. Once you have inserted the USB drive into your computer, choose to start the download. Follow the instructions provided to download the files to the USB drive.
To install the update in your vehicle, remove anything that is plugged in the USB ports on the media hub and plug in the USB drive containing the update. When the USB drive is plugged in, the installation should begin immediately. After a successful installation, the update is available the next time the vehicle is started.
The installation of most files occurs in the background, and does not interrupt your use of the system. Navigation updates cannot be installed in the background, because the files are too large.
Please refer to the website for any further actions.
Updating Over Wi-Fi
To update your System over Wi-Fi your vehicle must be within the range of a Wi-Fi access point. Data rates may apply.
To enable automatic updates using Wi-Fi, select:

Menu Item
Settings
Wi-Fi
Available Wi-Fi NetworksYou can then select your Wi-Fi network. You may have to enter the security code if the network is secured. The system confirms when it has connected to the network.

You must also give the system permission to update automatically. Upon vehicle delivery, the System asks you if you would like to use the automatic update feature. If you agree to automatic updates, you can press OK to confirm. If this selection does not appear upon vehicle delivery you can access it through the General Settings. See Settings. You can also perform a master reset. See SYNC™ 3 Troubleshooting.
If you would like to switch this feature on later, select:

Menu Item
Settings
General
Automatic System UpdatesFrom this menu, you can enable automatic updates. If you have not done so already, the system prompts you to set up a Wi-Fi connection when you enable this feature.

When Wi-Fi and automatic updates are enabled, your system checks for software updates periodically. If a new version is available, it downloads at that time. Software downloads can take place for up to 30 minutes after you have switched your vehicle off. The updates do not interrupt the normal use of your SYNC 3 system. If a download does not complete for any reason, the download continues where it left off at the next Wi-Fi connected opportunity. Upon activation of an update, a banner displays on the touchscreen indicating the system update. Select the icon to see more detail. This icon displays for two ignition cycles.
To switch this feature off:

Menu Item
Settings
General
Automatic System UpdatesIn this menu selection, you can change the selection for automatic updates to OFF.

Support
The SYNC support team is available to help you with any questions you are not able to answer on your own.
Monday-Saturday, 8:30am-8:00pm EST.
Sunday, 10:30am-7:30pm EST.
United States: 1-800-392-3673.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Try reformatting with exFAT using the utility called "rufus". Link below:

i've attached a screenshot of the options you should use when formatting.

Also ensure that when the Sync files are extracted (Windows), it looks like this on the USB:

Any USB port in the ST should work. After plugged for about 30 seconds, it should show a prompt on the main display at the top that system update is in progress.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try reformatting with exFAT using the utility called "rufus". Link below:

i've attached a screenshot of the options you should use when formatting.

View attachment 377625

Also ensure that when the Sync files are extracted (Windows), it looks like this on the USB:

View attachment 377626

Any USB port in the ST should work. After plugged for about 30 seconds, it should show a prompt on the main display at the top that system update is in progress.
Does the engine have to be started? Will it install the update if the vehicle is moving, or does it have to stationary?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Does the engine have to be started? Will it install the update if the vehicle is moving, or does it have to stationary?
The vehicle should be running, as the update can take up to 30 minutes. It will continue to update regardless if moving. Just don't turn the electronics on without the engine on, else if the car shuts off before finishing, it could corrupt the install.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts