Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a mint 2018 red st1 as my dad commuter car. 25k miles, bone stock, still under warranty to 100k.

I bought this thing strictly to commute to work which is 99% freeway. I don't expect much out of the car, coming from boosted ls platforms in the past. Still a super fun car to drive, Even w the fwd.

Background in offroad race cars, fabrication, machining, and solidworks.

Immediate plans:

-Cobb AP from monstertuned 91/ e30 maps ( will be here friday)
  • my own lca cross member, and strut tower , tigged .063 and .095 Dom tubing
  • urethane motor and trans mounts
  • gfb diverter
  • bar and plate fmic, billet cnc end tanks from a buddy
  • stock plumbing and stock exhaust
  • get forscan and focccus and turn the ****ing drl off.
  • buy helm factory service manual and electrical schematics cd's.

I'll be happy with 250whp out of the k03.

Lots of great info on here, looking forward to learning more.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,440 Posts
"I'll be happy with 250whp out of the k03"

If I had a dollar.....

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A couple autocrossing FoSTs will be in town this weekend... come out to the Speedway, east side, to see us compete. Mine is a 2018 in Hot Pepper Red, too. Word is NHRA is at the dragstrip on the north side.

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from an English Bruva 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿, catch can should be very high on your list, shame you will be mainly highway driving, these things come alive through the twisties. 😁
Is there enough blow by to warrant a catch can with the stock pcv system? Does that stock oil separator plate not have baffles in it?
Always a fan of redundancy, not opposed to a good baffled catch can.

Are you guys just running one occ on the pcv side Or two catchcans with a check valve?

A couple autocrossing FoSTs will be in town this weekend... come out to the Speedway, east side, to see us compete. Mine is a 2018 in Hot Pepper Red, too. Word is NHRA is at the dragstrip on the north side.
Nice! I work right down the road from the speedway. If I can make it I will.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,557 Posts
Welcome. I admire your optimism. See my signature for my stance on you keeping it stockish.

My car is also my highway commuter, I find the huge top end power kick from a big turbo to help things immensely at highway speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,795 Posts
Is there enough blow by to warrant a catch can with the stock pcv system? Does that stock oil separator plate not have baffles in it?
Always a fan of redundancy, not opposed to a good baffled catch can.

Are you guys just running one occ on the pcv side Or two catchcans with a check valve?

Nice! I work right down the road from the speedway. If I can make it I will.
It's not that there is so much blow by, but that direct injection engines have no fuel flowing over the valves to keep the back sides clean; carbon builds up from the burnt oil and will eventually cause reduced mileage, misfires, CEL's....

I've taken a different route and just clean the valves every 25,000 miles or so; but I'm a glutton for punishment and like pulling off the intake manifold. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,180 Posts
Welcome to the forum - I was just in Las Vegas last weekend!

2013 ST1 here in South Florida. Original owner now on 135k miles - lots of "OEM Plus" upgrades completed, including RS Brembos, SYNC3 retrofit, Titanium Heated leather seats, euro mirrors, custom facelift steering wheel, facelift ICP and aux cluster etc etc
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Grille Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
[QUOTEaa j7ws78 I ls 3
.[""gG7Uvccy2bqd="dj0dcfred, post: 2664696, member: 130"]
It's not that there is so much blow by, but that direct injection engines have no fuel flowing over the valves to keep the back sides clean; iyuI gu447y t7r1⁶.,77uk iio kcarbon builds up from the burnt oil and will gu474y cause reduced mileage, misfires, CEL's....

I've taken a infer nces nt route and just clean the valves every 25,000 miles or so; grade grade gurneybut I'm a glutton for punishment and like pulling off the intake³1e62 manifold. 🤷‍♂️
[/QUOTE]

Didn't stop to think about the direct injection. Pushrod ohv engines are so much simpler. LOL. Catch can it is.

single port with a tee and check valve capturing pcv and ccv?

·
Super Moderator
11,795 Posts
[QUOTEaa j7ws78 I ls 3
.[""gG7Uvccy2bqd="dj0dcfred, post: 2664696, member: 130"]
It's not that there is so much blow by, but that direct injection engines have no fuel flowing over the valves to keep the back sides clean; iyuI gu447y t7r1⁶.,77uk iio kcarbon builds up from the burnt oil and will gu474y cause reduced mileage, misfires, CEL's....
I've taken a infer nces nt route and just clean the valves every 25,000 miles or so; grade grade gurneybut I'm a glutton for punishment and like pulling off the intake³1e62 manifold. 🤷‍♂️

Didn't stop the thing about t2he direct injection. Pushrod ohv engines are so much simpler. LOL. Catch can it is.
²7
single port with a tee and check valve capturing pcv and ccv?
[/QUOTE]
One on the PCV is good; catch cans off of the valve cover catch next to nothing.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,129 Posts
Welcome. I admire your optimism. See my signature for my stance on you keeping it stockish.

My car is also my highway commuter, I find the huge top end power kick from a big turbo to help things immensely at highway speed.
WHy dont you tell him the whole story :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,038 Posts
It's hard to sum up a 2 year saga. Lol
I'll take a crack at it...

Added part after part after part after part... but left at stock tune and got no power increase.

Finally added an Edge tune a little while ago.... oh man.. this is fun, but... MUST... HAVE...MORE... POWER...

Installed Powermax turbo... ok, this is even better, but ... MUST... HAVE...MORE... POWER...

Installed 2860 gen2 plus the Junits/Michael elbow improving flow... now at 341hp/360tq according to vdyno.... and having WAY more fun when driving it.

How's that? ;)

BTW, @Dirtfiend602, get a better intercooler. ESP, Whoosh, or Depo are all lower-cost units which perform well. The stock one is horrible and your car will handle the heat of Vegas much better with an upgraded intercooler.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,557 Posts

Added part after part after part after part... but left at stock tune and got no power increase.

Finally added an Edge tune a little while ago.... oh man.. this is fun, but... MUST... HAVE...MORE... POWER...

Installed Powermax turbo... ok, this is even better, but ... MUST... HAVE...MORE... POWER...

Installed 2860 gen2 plus the Junits/Michael elbow improving flow... now at 341hp/360tq according to vdyno.... and having WAY more fun when driving it.

How's that? ;)
You left out the dozens of emails I sent out to Garrett and all the anticipation over the powermax. Lol

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

How's that? ;)

BTW, @Dirtfiend602, get a better intercooler. ESP, Whoosh, or Depo are all lower-cost units which perform well. The stock one is horrible and your car will handle the heat of Vegas much better with an upgraded intercooler.
Haha. I'm sure a turbo upgrade is in my near future. Never enough power. The 2867 or turbo technics looks nice.

I saw the Depo ic, ok quality. I'll be making my own most likely. Already have the cnc billet end tanks for a 5" bar and plate.

To give you an idea, this is how much fluid would have flowed over the valves, after only 3k miles. View attachment 402336
What's the concensus on occ brand? I see damond, radium .. but the baffle system is a bit antiquated for the cost... the mishimoto has a better design imo.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 HPR ST1
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great thank you! I'll cost it out, but realistically after parts and labor it's cheaper to buy than build it.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,227 Posts
I just got a cheap Mishimoto copy (probably made at the same Chinese factory) from eBay, got about eight feet of 3/8” hose and made my own bracket to attach to the transmission, all together cost me less than £30, whereas Mishimoto kit is over £200 in the U.K.
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Bicycle part Auto part

Vehicle Automotive tire Car Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 251 Posts