Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Jason and I recently purchased a salvage 2014 ST3 with 40k, a salvage 2016 ST2 with 11k on it and another 2014 ST3 with 65k on it that had a rear end hit. Both the other cars were front end Deer hits. I am using the rear end hit car to fix the front of the 2014 at the moment. This site has already been very helpful. Looking forward to chatting with others. Quick note, I previewed this before I posted and I seen that my photos are very large. I am new to posting pictures on forums, does anyone know how I make them normal size? Thanks in advance, Jason.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dang, that one was a deer?? Sure that wasn't like an elk or maybe a semi lol

Reactions: LuckyWelds

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Best of luck! Get it done before Focus Fest in August!

·
Registered
530 Posts
What was your all in price for this? I imagine you wouldn't have bought 3 of the same car if it wasn't worth it. What's your plan for this? Use 2 to build 1? Source parts and fix all 3?
Some notes to keep in mind in the event you are only building 1.
eFocus RMM recall, check to see if the 14's have it done or if it's the old mount. If you don't immediately upgrade to a better RMM, it'll be best to swap it over from the 16 to whatever car you end up using as the 16 should definitely have it.
Check manufacturing dates of the 14's and research whether they have 12.6" rotors or 13.1". If you stick with the 2014 and swap the 2016 brakes over, swap the spare tire over as well because the 2014 spare won't clear the larger brakes.
The 2016 has some newer tech like Torque Vectoring which drastically reduces torque steer. My stock 2017 has no torque steer, I drove my cousins 13 or 14 and there was definitely torque steer. I imagine this is not swappable, at least not without tremendous work, it just may make you decide to work on the 16 instead if there isn't frame damage.
A pet peeve of mine is the stock rubber shifter bracket bushings. With everything torn apart, even if you you're only going to stay relatively stock, you'll likely want to change those because the slop in the shifter is annoying.
If you're looking to go stage 3 or big turbo or otherwise not stay stock, then this place has a wealth of info for you. Looks like you've got quite a project ahead of you so good luck!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Welcome and good luck with fixing the car(s)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Welcome! look forward to seeing your progress.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
What was your all in price for this? I imagine you wouldn't have bought 3 of the same car if it wasn't worth it. What's your plan for this? Use 2 to build 1? Source parts and fix all 3?
Some notes to keep in mind in the event you are only building 1.
eFocus RMM recall, check to see if the 14's have it done or if it's the old mount. If you don't immediately upgrade to a better RMM, it'll be best to swap it over from the 16 to whatever car you end up using as the 16 should definitely have it.
Check manufacturing dates of the 14's and research whether they have 12.6" rotors or 13.1". If you stick with the 2014 and swap the 2016 brakes over, swap the spare tire over as well because the 2014 spare won't clear the larger brakes.
The 2016 has some newer tech like Torque Vectoring which drastically reduces torque steer. My stock 2017 has no torque steer, I drove my cousins 13 or 14 and there was definitely torque steer. I imagine this is not swappable, at least not without tremendous work, it just may make you decide to work on the 16 instead if there isn't frame damage.
A pet peeve of mine is the stock rubber shifter bracket bushings. With everything torn apart, even if you you're only going to stay relatively stock, you'll likely want to change those because the slop in the shifter is annoying.
If you're looking to go stage 3 or big turbo or otherwise not stay stock, then this place has a wealth of info for you. Looks like you've got quite a project ahead of you so good luck!
Honestly, he could sell the interior bits along and odd and end undamaged and unused parts and make a few grand from 2 of them and with combined parts easily make the third one a pretty damn nice car! If he got the 2 he didn't plan to keep for cheap enough they become profit if he makes more parting them out then scrap hauling the frame away. Not a bad gig if done right.

I'm eager to see the results! Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More info

Hi guys, to answer a few questions. I am into all 3 cars for around 15k. I bought the 1st 2014 on Dec 15th of 2016 and started looking at prices for parts and the HID headlights alone were over $2,200. That is when I decided to do a parts car and sell or use what I do not need from that car. I then seen the 2016 and thought maybe I would like that one better so I bought it. I have decided to keep the 2014 for myself and was going to fix and sell the 2016, but my brother has decided to buy me out of that one. I will still be in charge of fixing all the damage and getting it ready for him since he likes cars, but does not work on them in any way, shape, or form. I also just bought a 2015 Focus Sedan that I plan to use a door from the parts car. Once I have all 3 cars complete I will see what I have left of the parts car and go from there. Either part out or may even do a ST sedan swap if I could get a cheap donor sedan. I have all the exterior swapped on my 2014. Still need to change out knee, and side curtain air bags. No structure damage at all. unbolted all the old and swapped in all the donor parts. The deer did not hurt anything other than all the plastic and sheet metal. I already had purchased the shifter bushings, and a symposer delete. I plan on doing some sort of exhaust since it is way to quiet for me, and probably a air intake, filter, and definitely the rear motor mount. Also will be getting a Cobb Accessport in the near future. I will also upgrade to the larger brakes when I get closer to needing front pads. That will most likely be all that I do since it is supposed to just be my daily driver. But who knows right? That is probably what a lot of the members on here said when they first got there cars. I will keep you all posted on the progress and can give the final prices I have stuck into each car.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2014 and 2016 ST Builders Before and After

Here are a couple pics of the before and after of the two ST builders I did. So far my Brother and I are loving them. I will get some better pictures of the 2 cars once spring finally decides to stick around here in Iowa. They are calling for more snow in my area of Iowa this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
This sort of thing just amazes me. I could never put the effort into a project like this to see it through to completion, nor do I have the skillset for it even if I wanted to. Seeing something like this is inspiring to say the least...nice work and thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, yes it can definitely be tedious at times and stressful but I do like the fact that I can save a car and make it look and perform as new again with being able to save $ on the deal too. Our Family has been building/driving builder cars for many years. My dad used to do Subaru wagons in the late 70's and has progressed from there threw all the years, he has stopped doing them though for probably the last 10- 15 years and I started doing them about 20 years ago or so. I am currently 42.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts