Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a 2017 Focus ST and I’ve been getting decently better with manual and I was like I should really learn how to down shift I was in 5th going about 45-50mph and I don’t really know what the rpm’s where at that moment but I went to throw it in 4th of course and managed to put it in second the car proceed to rev super high more than likely redline, went in to limp mode. It said it needed service now don’t know if the CEL came on at that moment but I restarted the car and the CEL was on I babied it for a few days listening to it everywhere I went worried sick I had ruined it. took it to see if I could clear the codes and they said it was coming from the cam sensor, got a new one and replaced it, they cleared it but one of the codes won’t go away they said it’s a hard fault and it needs to be looked at but the car drives completely fine no new noises, double checked it could make the same power as before and every gear shifts fine. Haven’t had any issues other than occasionally I’ll start it and it’ll drop 500 rpm’s at beginning of idle and stagnate at its usual point. Any input appreciated as I am still worried sick :(

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,238 Posts
Did they use the tool to adjust the cam sensor properly?

Idle stumble could be purge valve.

What is the remaining code(s)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they use the tool to adjust the cam sensor properly?

Idle stumble could be purge valve.

What is the remaining code(s)?
I wish I had asked when I went last weekend but since I’ve been working a ton although this weekend I’ll be taking it back to find out what it’s reading. I’ll let you knowww.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,251 Posts
Regarding the code, you can take it to any auto zone, O'Reilly, advance auto parts, etc and they can put a reader on it and tell you the code. You don't HAVE to take it to the dealer to get that, and those stores will do it for free compared to the dealer charging you a diagnostic fee

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this issue happen instead i was up shifting into 4 and when into second instead, and i had the same issue as you just not as bad. i had a code that related to the bank 1 of the cam sensor so i replaced the sensor. after seeing that it wasnt debris build up and it was the fact that the vvt gear became unseated from the cam. so if you can remove the sensor and take a peak inside with your cell phone and flash light you might find your problem there.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,334 Posts
To elaborate on the issue that @FOCUSONTHIS.ST is talking about, see this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts