Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So sound deadening. I was a young dumb kid when I did this. An while it cam out amazing...I over did it. Too much weight.
Front doors have 4 layers including paint. They are solid but was just too much added weight. This continues thru car and with all the speakers, subs, amps and sound deadening added...well car got too heavy. The BC COs controlled it better than I realized until I removed them. The trunk got a lot of weight and that is where need to start. Figure one sub good enough as the amps are like 100lb too. But I added too much weight to trunk lid trying to keep from vibrate so need to remove and redo. Anyways pics of doors:

Attachments

· Registered
2014 Ingot Silver
80 Posts
What did you use to layer? I’ve never seen something like that, I always just deaden whatever I can fit a large piece of CLD on, then seal the door panel with some sheet metal and some weatherstripping foam on the door card.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The person/company bought from went under but he had some good products. First was just basic butyl but specs exceeded others like thicker aluminum skin and weighed more/sqft...
Then he had a dual foam layer which was soft on one side on firm on back. Then the black packing foam type product. So can see those layers go on in pics.
I think sort of could replicate what I did but I was sort of just guessing and just added layers that worked
I am no acustic expert but first I would use a good butyl layer to stiffen door sheet metal. Possibly next add layer of rubber like describe below.
Next a foam that won't mold so closed cell.
After thinking id say like neoprene type material used in wetsuits or fishing waders. But assume can buy material
Other ideas:
Maybe hard layer of matress? Just right packing foam? Honestly what I think could work good is spray foam used to insult houses. Find someone that does it and have them spray inner door after you tape all off. Obviously that is not easy as need to remove window and crap and have to cut away excess.
Either way...a closed cell foam layer.

Ontop of that a thicker heavy rubber like a good tool box liner? Think cheap HF liner could work but think something heavier/more dense be better.
These varying density layers along with how attached should be better than just single layer of sound deadening. I think idea is would be to stop sound waves reflecting. The different layers will absorb and allow speakers to do what meant to do.
So even the glue use is part of it...may want to allow to float so long as not making noise.
Dab of glue ever inch, long srips of thick glue or just paint on...idk. Whatever works.

People on DIYmobileaudio know more than me.

Good luck.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So hitch installed. Only to be used for bike rack. It could tow small trailer but with the rust...nope.

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure if MF exhaust tips only designed poorly for MS6 or others too...but basically would just melt plastic. So I cut tips off and added straight pipes and looks great in stock valances. Oems ate like 1in so the 2.5in fits better.
Now mine all rusty but get idea of what I did.

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Back in the day when we had no* tuning...all we had was the Dashhawk to monitor and CPE standback* to try and tune. Made a mount for my DH.
You may not understand how hard this was for me to make fit perfect so did not obscure any dash display...but it was hard.
Not long after I finished and started to make more for others Cobb decided to adapt AP for ms6/3.
Was win for us but the Dashhawk became pointless/unessisary.
*CPE standback was first tuner for ms6 that never worked perfectly so was discontinued. CPE charged ~$1200 for this with the plug and play wires. I wired myself so only lost some $500...groan.

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Biggest Group buy ever did was for Laser Interceptor laser jammer. Bought direct from manufacturer in Croatia. Was clusterfuk but pulled it off. Bought over 100 units but took way to much work so was last time I ran a GB.
One of threads but was on other forums as discount to buy 100 got us all units for half price. This 54 page long thread is where started:

And mine installed on front ms6:

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I still have to wait 30 days now. Annoying as I was on hear last year looking to buy but stupid never registered. I get rules. I will just have to look elsewhere to buy. If find one I guess will be back.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
oh hai!

this is MATT DAMOND, BTW.
Hey Matt. Good to see you over here. Hope you made some good How To's for on this forum, though my hopes are to not spend too much time under car. With my small budget I'm sure I will be doing some work, just hope I'm not walking into another project car.
I will have to check out you go fast parts for ST. Hopefully be back on here soon.

· Vendor
528 Posts
Hey Matt. Good to see you over here. Hope you made some good How To's for on this forum, though my hopes are to not spend too much time under car. With my small budget I'm sure I will be doing some work, just hope I'm not walking into another project car.
I will have to check out you go fast parts for ST. Hopefully be back on here soon.
Most of my how-to's nowadays are install guides for our products. There's already a decent bit of good info on here though.

I got my ST mainly for product development (to where I wasn't going to mod it much), but I dove waaaaay off the deep end once I started tracking it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts