Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice! I can't tell if that's an ST1, 2 or 3, but from a performance standpoint, it doesn't matter.
I have the ST1 and it looks just like yours, but Kona Blue. Enjoy! I've put 33K on mine after only 15 months.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That one looms just like mine I went st1 but got moonroof and upgraded wheels. I had an srt-4 and the seats do get annoying in long drives.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
That one looms just like mine I went st1 but got moonroof and upgraded wheels. I had an srt-4 and the seats do get annoying in long drives.
Haven't had this issue yet with the aggressive bolstering on my ST3 seats. I've seen it complained about before but I drove 2 hours to AutoX, autocrossed (4 runs), then drove 5 hours immediately after and never once did my back feel uncomfortable. Only time it was ever uncomfortable was when I hadn't deadlifted at the gym in a while and got a good workout in and my back was really tight on the ride home, that sucked.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Haven't had this issue yet with the aggressive bolstering on my ST3 seats. I've seen it complained about before but I drove 2 hours to AutoX, autocrossed (4 runs), then drove 5 hours immediately after and never once did my back feel uncomfortable. Only time it was ever uncomfortable was when I hadn't deadlifted at the gym in a while and got a good workout in and my back was really tight on the ride home, that sucked.
You know everyone always thinks I am crazy but I throw the heated seats on high when I am hurting like that and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just depends on what you like, the driving dynamics are the same on all trim levels. I had to have the full leather Recaros so it was the ST3 for me. I have to have nothing in my back pockets when in the ST3, but they fit me fine. Others go a different route depending on needs and pocketbook.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I skipped leather on my last sports sedan so wanted to make sure I got it this time. I got an ST3 around Christmas 2012 so it's 4 years old. I rarely use the GPS that I paid what, $800+ for? I know sync3 is better now but mine rarely understands what I am saying and doesn't have many of the landmarks that I want to go to. So I use Waze instead. The seats; I was absolutely sure I wanted those leather Recaros but soon found them to be too tight on my hips. I found out they can be modified by cutting the hard plastic in the bolsters but leaving the foam. They are perfect now. Saying all that to say that if you find out after the first few months that they are too tight you can modify them.
To tell you the truth, now that I have had a sunroof for 4 years, I could go either way on that. I only use it a few times per year and you can get nearly the same effect by opening all the windows. Everything else is good with the ST3; I am VERY happy with the headlights and leather. The MFT Sync thing isn't so great but they are much better now. I NEVER use the voice commands, it always calls the wrong person or misunderstands so I spend 5 minutes just to initiate a phone call to the right person. Maybe that part is better now too.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
personally for me, I had to have at least an ST2.

the must haves for me were the recaros, and My Ford Touch, the fancy OEM HIDs, and automatic climate controls.

all of the dash kits to add your own radio took terrible so I wanted to keep the OEM head unit and integrate into that alone with the OEM back up camera.

and the last three Lincolns I have had spoiled me to auto climate controls, and there is no way I can go back to manual knobs.

aftermarket HIDs could be added, but almost never function as well (aka glare) or as reliably as OEM quality products.

and the seats, well not only do they look great and not cheap, but I really like how well they hold you into the seat.

luckily for me these were all on one option. there was no need for me to have to go for the ST3 as heated seats are no trouble for me to add ($55 and already ordered) and honestly not really impressed with how poor the ambient lighting system works on my wifes new Escape Ti, so that will also be added in the next week or two. sunroof I could take or leave (this one didn't have it) as I almost never open the one in my LS.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Take into consideration, depreciation on the focus is huge. It's laughable actually
which is why I would never buy one of these new...

I just bough an ST2 last week, original sticker with the upgraded wheels and red stripes was a hair shy of $30k, the guy that owned it before me traded on as cheap of a RS as you can get, I don't know what they gave him for it, but I got it out the door (including gap insurance) for $19k even... no way I could stomach taking an $11K+ hit in the car only owning it for a little over a year... that's like making a $750/mo car payment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm back looking at the Wrx, however.

FWIW this car was a base ST with just the optional wheels. I was at $21.4k + TT&L. Didn't seem too bad of a price for the car, just not quite what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
After 3+ years of ownership: must have Recaro seats, must not have Navigation or moonroof. Unfortunately I think Ford has binned all three of those things together now.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the moonroof. Moonroof open + rear windows down is the best "It's kind of cold but I want fresh air" setup imo. Nav in sync3 is much faster, but sync 2 never got me lost. The costly updates for sync2 is what really got me. Not sure how sync3 updates work and I have been a bit lazy to look into it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i was thinking i could go to the dealer and decide for myself but decided to just post here to find out what parts are worth to others who live on different income from me. AWD is a must on this piece of crap car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take into consideration, depreciation on the focus is huge. It's laughable actually
which is why I would never buy one of these new...

I just bough an ST2 last week, original sticker with the upgraded wheels and red stripes was a hair shy of $30k, the guy that owned it before me traded on as cheap of a RS as you can get, I don't know what they gave him for it, but I got it out the door (including gap insurance) for $19k even... no way I could stomach taking an $11K+ hit in the car only owning it for a little over a year... that's like making a $750/mo car payment!
If he paid that much for an st2 he made a mistake. St2 should be 24k out the door. (That's what my friend got his for new) I paid 27k for st3 loaded with moonroof msrp was 32k.

But even with 24k for An st2, a 5k hit is pretty common when you buy new and go off the lot.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts