Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of trying to beat up dealers on the price of a 2016+ WRX and am looking to get into a new ST.

Are there any "must have" or "couldn't live without" options that I might not be seeing on the Ford site?

What would you have optioned differently on your car?

Thanks!

As for a newb to the forum, I'm looking for a new daily since my TDI was bought back. I will not be dealing with VW again. My "real" fun car is under construction.

1972 Plymouth Cuda - 5.7 Hemi, 6-speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
:whs: ST3 for full leather heated seats mainly.

I also had my VW TDI bought back in December! Was considering a Golf R if anything from VW but it is just too expensive for me. I didn't want to pay $40K for a car, which is also why I didn't go the RS route.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Seats**, backup camera (will be standard by 2018/19/20 I hear), moonroof**, heated everything**, improved sound system**, and HID headlights**.

The things with the ** are things that I NEEDED when I shopped for the ST. Wanted full leather and the others, BUT didn't get the backup camera/heated steering wheel because I got a 2014 used for a good price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
when I ordered my Focus ST, I took every possible options: 401A package, moonroof, upgraded wheels, and navigations. Here in Canada we don't have the option to order ST1, ST2, ST3. We have a base model that includes everything except what I just listed. I wouldn't go with anything less :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Beautiful project car:in love:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome! I also had my VW TDI bought back, which is how I wound up here. Was looking for a replacement and considered VW GTI, WRX, and ST. One drive in each and I knew exactly where I wanted to end up :)

Regarding options, I ended up getting mine fully equipped with ST3, moon roof, and machined aluminum wheels. Mine also came with all season tires. Before I started car shopping, I didnt' think I wanted all leather seats (more care required), but I test drove an ST3 and was sold. Very happy I chose this trim package. Heated seats were great, but the real godsend is the heated steering wheel, especially in during the Midwest winters! Something I can't imaging living without now that I have it.

I like having a moonroof because I didn't have one previously, but I know this is debatable for some (lost headroom and potential rattles down the road).

The "improved sound system" of the ST3 is not great, to my ears/tastes. It does the job, but I can't say I am satisfied by the sound quality. HID headlights are great.

If you can afford all the options and the Recaro seats fit you well (this is important since they definitely don't suit everybody), I'd highly recommend going ST3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New to Ford - 2017 ST "must have" options?

Thanks for the quick input all!

I'm going to drive one this afternoon and see how it goes. I was not thrilled with the GTI or WRX. The bang for buck on the ST seems to be inline.

I'm looking for something to get me through for a few years and have some fun doing it. Audio and seats are not big drivers for me. My 1976 current daily has an AM/FM 8-track player and it's good enough!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks for the quick input all!

I'm going to drive one this afternoon and see how it goes. I was not thrilled with the GTI or WRX. The bang for buck on the ST seems to be inline.

I'm looking for something to get me through for a few years and have some fun doing it. Audio and seats are not big drivers for me. My 1976 current daily has an AM/FM 8-track player and it's good enough!

The seats don't feel like big drivers for you, but sit in them if you get the chance to see if you change your mind. Most people who sit in my car and a few strangers who sat in them at Autocross LOVED them. That being said, regardless of which package you look at, you'll love the ST! Awesome interior, incredible chassis, and great torque power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The seats don't feel like big drivers for you, but sit in them if you get the chance to see if you change your mind. Most people who sit in my car and a few strangers who sat in them at Autocross LOVED them. That being said, regardless of which package you look at, you'll love the ST! Awesome interior, incredible chassis, and great torque power.
I wasn't aware the bolstering was different, I thought it was just material. I'll check into it. Thanks-

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I wasn't aware the bolstering was different, I thought it was just material. I'll check into it. Thanks-

Most definitely, the ST2 seats which are partial leather and partial colored cloth (gray, blue, yellow, red...looks really cool) and the ST3 full leather seats are very deeply bolstered and hug your waist/thighs very tightly. I am a slender built and love them, some bigger guys aren't a fan, but some love it also. Personal preference for sure, but I sat in them once and wouldn't have gotten cloth afterwards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ST1 here. Just wanted the motor. All that other stuff (more electrical wiring, moonroof) is just more things that can go wrong down the road. and for 23k for a brand new 2017, couldnt beat it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New to Ford - 2017 ST "must have" options?

Most definitely, the ST2 seats which are partial leather and partial colored cloth (gray, blue, yellow, red...looks really cool) and the ST3 full leather seats are very deeply bolstered and hug your waist/thighs very tightly. I am a slender built and love them, some bigger guys aren't a fan, but some love it also. Personal preference for sure, but I sat in them once and wouldn't have gotten cloth afterwards.
Are the seats drug into other packaging upgrades only? Can I get a base ST with just better seats?

Radio, moonroof, wizzbangs are all lost on me. I prefer simple.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Are the seats drug into other packaging upgrades only? Can I get a base ST with just better seats?

Radio, moonroof, wizzbangs are all lost on me. I prefer simple.

Typically, no. Unless you order the car. However, if you get the base ST with the cloth seats and you have sat in and love/want the partial/full leathers then it is QUITE common that there is someone on the forum here who has the leathers and does NOT like them and would trade you or trade you with a little cash involved for the different seats. It's been done a lot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also a VW Tdi convert, traded it in back in November...it was loaded so I didn't want to go backwards.
Wanted to try an Ford.
I got the ST3 and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Take into consideration, depreciation on the focus is huge. It's laughable actually

1 - 20 of 35 Posts