Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently decided to take the plunge and I purchased a Cobb v3 AP and a Stage 1 tune from Stratified. I went with Stratified after long time lurking on the forums and seeing how great their costumer service is.
Now onto it. After running a few datalogs I have some concerns with knock. I ran 3 logs after reading the guide stickied and had some concerns.

From the log everything looks okay to me except for cylinder 2 is having multiple knock events. Although they don't appear to be too intense, it is the frequency and consistency of the knocks that has me worried.

datazap.me | baerpawz | Stratified Day 1

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but here is what I believe I am seeing. (Note these are third gear pulls starting at ~2500rpm)
Pull 1: (cylinder 2) knocks 4 times! ranging from a -.17 to a -.9 correction.
Pull 2: (cylinder 2) knocks 3 times. ranging from -.09 to -1.3
Pull 3: No negative corrections.

Also to note: I am still on the stock RMM. I have a Cobb one, but did not install due to concerns over false knock. I want to solve this current issue before installing that RMM.

Thanks so much for any help! Hopefully I am just paranoid and everything looks fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no expert but your logs look ok to me. I don't see any mods listed so I'm going to assume you're bone stock besides the AP. I would suggest checking your plug gaps and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for mentioning the plugs. I'm going to test that tomorrow. I dropped down to a 91 oct tune from the 93 oct and nothing changed there. Cylinders 1-3-4 happily climb together, but 2 keeps repeatedly pulling small amounts of timing. On a 3rd gear pull today it knocked 4 times in one pull. None of the events were large, but it's the amount that scares me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I guess I'd take a look at the plugs too, given that fact that it still happened a tune with less timing and slightly richer AFRs (91 vs 93). Kind of strange, not really sure on this one. Take a look at the plugs and see if naything looks different and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulled the plug at it looks normal. I received a PM from a member who is having the same exact issue. His datalog looks identical to mine. Every cylinder is happy except #2. At this point I'm convinced that it's something wrong with the stratified tune. What are the odds that we both received the same tune from Aaron, with the same issue, in the same month?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Something I guess you could try it logging each cylinder's actual spark advance value as well. You can adjust fuel or timing on an individual cylinder basis, but i highly doubt they are doing that. Either way I think the best thing at this point would be to just contact the tuner.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
This post is about a month old, but you guys realize there is a Stratified section on the forum at the bottom? Post this there.

I'm pretty sure if you post it they will tell you that it is fine though because I'm pretty sure it is. Corrections of less than -3 periodically aren't causing damage. Unless the correction HOLDS a negative value it won't hurt anything if it touches -.19 for a split second and the knock goes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts