Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2017 Focus ST last May and have loved it. However, the tires that the original owner put on it are not the stock size (P235/40R18); the tires currently on it are P245/40R18. I'm in the market for all-weather tires here in north Florida and would like opinions on which to get.

Thanks in advance,
~ Marc

·
Registered
118 Posts
A lot of people have had good experience with Continental Extreme contact DWS06. I used to have Pirelli Pzero all-seasons and wasn't a huge fan.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Also that's not a huge tire difference I believe at 65 miles an hour you're going less than 1 mile per hour faster than what your speedometer says. That's the size that came on my 8 and 1/2 inch wheels when I bought them. I plan on going 255/35 18. but I'll wait till I put coilovers on and make sure I'm not come have any fitment issue and the tires are brand new.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Can you run a performance summer tire being in Florida? How often does it actually get below 40 degrees?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live 60 miles south of macon ga.I have run only summer tires last 15 yrs.No problems, lot of grins.My opinion is run stock size 235 40 18.My car handles great stock wheels Indy 500 tires. 31-32 psi front 27-28 psi rear cold let's all tread grip the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you run a performance summer tire being in Florida? How often does it actually get below 40 degrees?
Frequently, during the winter - which amounts to about 2 months of the year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly, if you're in Florida, I think it would make a lot more sense to run summer tires than all-seasons. The only advantage a/s has over straight summer is if you get a dusting of snow—a/s has some weather-resistant tread, summer has none. Summer tires still perform better in cold weather than winter or all-season tires, at least on dry roads, and at least according to one study I've seen, a/s actually performs the WORST in rainy weather out of all 3 options.

Source: Summer vs All-Season vs Winter Tires | Tire Types | CJ Pony Parts (and of course their sources are included)

Tires can be pricy, but because they're the most integral part of your car, it's worth investing in a good set. I'm in the process of deciding what to get myself to replace the OEM Eagle F1's, since I just got them put back on today and I was advised to replace them (treads are very worn after only a couple mild years of usage—definitely not buying these again) so I just happened to be looking at tire options earlier today. So here's what I found from my (admittedly brief) research:

If you want the best, there is only one answer: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They are the best tires available for this vehicle, and pretty much everyone agrees. They are also quite expensive, at over $200/tire. If you can swing that, do it. It's always good to invest well into anything between you and the ground.

If you want something good and more affordable, I've heard good things about the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. If you can get an older set, you can save a pretty good amount vs. the Pilot Sports.

If you really insist on all-season, it's going to be basically the same tires: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Pretty consistently agreed that it's the best for that category. Again, though, that's really only going to benefit you if you're heading a bit further north in the winter. The treading ultimately matters more than the compound in terms of traction, so even if you have a compound more meant for the cold, if it's dry then the summer tires will still brake better. (On the flip side, if you're trying to brake in snow, a better-treaded winter tire will do better than a worse-treaded one, even if the compound isn't as nice.)

Hopefully this all helps with your purchasing process!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts