Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
The pads shipped are always BP10 unless otherwise requested. PN 150-8855K is the 10 stamped on the back.

The snug aspect of things can be from two issues:

1. Centering. The kit was made as you know for the stock rotor, not the Volvo. Moving to that one will require some changes to mount center. If they are off by a lot it can make for funky wear, be certain the top and bottom are shimmed accordingly and equally. Being off can create tapering.

2. The stiffness new was likely the pads being too tight to the clips and body. I suggest a light fit to the clips. If you have to tap them in with a mallet they are too tight. File one or both ends for some light fit.

The fit also creates drag which can lead to both drag wear and the tapering. Another thing I've seen with FWD cars is more rapid wear of the inner pad. I believe this is often due to the heat build up vs being more in air flow on the outside. Not firm data to support it..but seems common on a lot of FWD kits.

I don't run the ss clips at all in my own cars. But rattle is a down side to that so beware.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The pads shipped are always BP10 unless otherwise requested. PN 150-8855K is the 10 stamped on the back.

The snug aspect of things can be from two issues:

1. Centering. The kit was made as you know for the stock rotor, not the Volvo. Moving to that one will require some changes to mount center. If they are off by a lot it can make for funky wear, be certain the top and bottom are shimmed accordingly and equally. Being off can create tapering.

2. The stiffness new was likely the pads being too tight to the clips and body. I suggest a light fit to the clips. If you have to tap them in with a mallet they are too tight. File one or both ends for some light fit.

The fit also creates drag which can lead to both drag wear and the tapering. Another thing I've seen with FWD cars is more rapid wear of the inner pad. I believe this is often due to the heat build up vs being more in air flow on the outside. Not firm data to support it..but seems common on a lot of FWD kits.

I don't run the ss clips at all in my own cars. But rattle is a down side to that so beware.
Ill take that into consideration with the next set of pads. i did have to get some additional spacers as they didnt line up perfectly, because as you said the volvo rotors. it was off by about a mm according to the digital caliper i used. i will get the stack height next time i get them off and post on here and see if others match. After a month or so i had no issues and zero problems with noise, but now they are getting very loud. again not a big problem with me as i knew this could be a issue beforehand. the race/street 86 we had ran AP racing and those were way way way worse. I was more concerned about wear. i was expecting a lot more then 8k out of the pads before the channel was gone, and i was hoping they were the BP20 as its claimed they were faster. if these are indeed 10's im guessing the 20's would last much less? either way. ill order some 20's from you, and the pad wear could be the clips being to tight. I know its not a common thing, i havent seen anyone complain about the brakes so it could be me installing things improperly i suppose. Ill get my order in next week.

Can you let me know minimum thickness to run on these please? i may just need to get the spacers for a few more months of use. thanks @Todd TCE

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
You'll have to get the part number off the plate to determine the compound. And yes 20s will wear faster, but with a bigger smile.

Those certainly don't look worn out...flip them over and put some pad wear plates behind them. I'd be comfortable down to 15-20% for street use. Well below the slots.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah I know, only 8 months later!!

For the records I had to take the calipers off for some maintenance last fall and if I remember the shims I used for centering (volvo rotors) were .105" thick. I'm digging in my memory here so please confirm your centering is correct if you use this information.

Also had to file my pads so they were not sitting too tightly in the calipers...they seemed to be dragging and making annoying high pitch noise when coming to a slow stop! No issue since then, love the brakes so far!

Hi Todd,

I'll measure the shims we used and let you know the numbers. For centering we ended up using some leftover shims my mechanic had bought for some other jobs as the ones provided were either too thick (the thick black shim) or needed more than provided in the kit (the thin natural finish ones).

For height adjustement, we used the thick black washer + 1 natural washer on both studs on the driver side. On the passenger side we had to use the thick black washer + 2 natural finish washers to get them to the right position.

You may know the thickness by heart, I personnaly forgot already! I'll let you know what we used for centering. The shim we used I'm guessing was between 1/8 and 3/16" if I remember correctly and was exactly the right thickness to have the calipers perfectly centered over the rotors. Did not feel any vibration or anything since the install, so I'm thinking we got it all right with those!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Good call. Yes I have drawer full of alum spacers that are .105" thick.

Now I know what they go to....lol

·
Registered
812 Posts
Good call. Yes I have drawer full of alum spacers that are .105" thick.

Now I know what they go to....lol
Any chance people with Volvo rotors would be able to purchase them from you or can we use any universal shims?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Any chance people with Volvo rotors would be able to purchase them from you or can we use any universal shims?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I assume you mean the spacers, not the rotors, then yeah sure.... a set of four, priority mail...$20

81 - 88 of 88 Posts