Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This may be a wild goose chase. I am interested in knowledgeable advice on a setup for my suspension. I currently have a completely stock 2016 ST1 and am aching to lower the ride and give it a little bit more handling performance. I'm not necessarily talking autox or track oriented just yet specifically, and was just looking at getting some lowering springs. After much research I have come to understand that this will speed up the inevitable death of my stock front struts and rear shocks as well. After matching a good set of aftermarket struts with a decent pair of lowering springs, the shopping cart is quickly approaching the cost of a decent pair of coilovers which I prefer anyways in the long run. My question: is it reasonable to expect to be able to find lowering springs and aftermarket struts that will last (by last I am referring to 30k miles of streeting) that doesn't exceed $500-600 or is it hopeless? Should I just hold out and save for a good pair of $1200-1500 coilovers? By the time I hit that mileage (#warrantylife) I will be moving to coilovers and performance mods for an autox and track oriented build. Any and all input is very valuable to me and much appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
Buy once, cry once. Good struts and springs will always outperform cheap coilovers, but if you plan on tracking the car in the future it may be wise to save up for a decent set of adjustable coilovers such as Fortune Autos, or YCWs, or something like Ground Controls (coilover sleeves on adjustable struts). Anything under $1000 is almost certainly going to be more street oriented with non-adjustable dampening and progressive springs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well the Vogtland and ST coilovers can be had cheap, 725 and 840 respectively. I just snatched up some ISC N1 coilovers last night on a Black Friday sale for a decent deal too.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Both Koni and Bilstein shocks offer a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser of said applicable vehicle.
However, NEITHER currently offer a 2014.5+ model fitment, leaving you to install a kit made for the 2013-2014 model year, with similar year springs. (It all bolts in just fine)

Coilovers inherently require MORE maintenance, and will not last as long as proper struts. Requiring you to send in for a rebuild, that may be free, but costs a lot to ship both ways, and you'll have more than a week of downtime.

At the end of the day, springs/struts are typically more reliable, and require less maintenance.
Don't assume aftermarket parts will last as long as an OEM part
You gotta pay to play. You modify something, it will often never last as long as an OEM part under normal driving circumstances.

ergo, if you buy something, just run the piss out of it till it fails, and replace as needed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was going to make a thread asking everyone's opinion on YCW vs Fortune auto 500 vs KW V3 for autocross and bumpy street driving. Money no issue I want the comfiest street coilovers that don't creak when turning, handle winter salt and corrosion, and it can be adjusted for bumpy and smooth tracks. Willing to sacrifice outright performance for compliance; the closes road course to me is insanely bumpy
Does this unicorn exist ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The only one that will do that AND salt/corrosion prevention is KW. You can get comfortable, or quiet. Only KW with their specific resin adjustment rings, wont seize to the body.

There is a brand new set in the classifieds for sale. I'm tempted to buy it's such a cheap price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fortune autos have radial top mount bearings and camber adjustment and with some anti seize it should prevent the rings from seizing. So the only KW advantage is independent rebound and compression adjustment.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Kw has a lifetime warranty. Tis true there is no camber plate included. But that means you can buy real one and not one that will rust in two seasons. Ycw and FA are compromise mid range systems. Kw v2 is equivalent and kw v3 is above them.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
KW has done much more than napkin math to settle on spring rates and proper valving can do wonders even if there were 13k rates on there. There are some great interviews of them and what is performed to design test and build something with the tightest German certifications and approvals all while ISO9001 techniques applied

Another brand to look at is Feal Suspension. Excellent support and pre-sales team, big racing pedigree and experience, uses the same quality components as YCW and FA too. But assembled right in SoCal. Rebuilds are affordable too.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
For the OP, any off the shelf coilovers will serve it's purpose. To go and say that YCW is beneath kw in terms of performance is silly. From an auto-x and even road racing stand point, I haven't seen one competitive ST on kw's (look up Jon Lugod's FoST as he had a very competitive auto-x car that was on Megan Racing coilovers, and also placed 3rd this year in the global time attack challenge.) While I don't have YCW's myself, I do know the importance of having a properly biased suspension setup, and from a performance stand point anything with a softer rear spring just won't cut it for this car.

Reactions: CDB

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
KWs might be good quality. That doesn't mean they will perform the best. Price doesn't dictate performance. However I wouldn't go with no name brand coilovers.

Sent from another galaxy.
Yes to add to my post, any reputable coilovers will work for the OP. The OP will just have to understand that there are only a few companies that will offer what was mentioned as far as proper biased rates for this car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Idk if you guys read my post but here are my needs: compliance is number one because our roads are trash and the closest road course isn't great either which is why I only do autocross for now. At my local track there are a bunch of bumps at multiple corner exits which don't allow you to put power down. I have sway bars to control the body no need for super stiff springs. Springs can be changed on these 3 coilover so I am really buying the shocks not the springs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Idk if you guys read my post but here are my needs: compliance is number one because our roads are trash and the closest road course isn't great either which is why I only do autocross for now. At my local track there are a bunch of bumps at multiple corner exits which don't allow you to put power down. I have sway bars to control the body no need for super stiff springs. Springs can be changed on these 3 coilover so I am really buying the shocks not the springs.
not if you buy something from FA or KW. unless you have some custom rear spring perches, you aren't going to be swapping the rears out for anything. Coilovers often use springs with inner diameters between 2.25-2.5 inches or 60-62mm (sometimes slightly bigger like 64mm) The rears for the FoST for companies like FA or KW use a wide ID, similar to the stock rear spring ID and sometimes taper to a smaller size on the other end to accomdate their adjustable perch. This leaves the user only the option to swap out the fronts. Go ahead and ask FA or KW to get you a custom rear spring rate for this car and see what they tell you. A good damper will soak up a lot of the bumps regardless of how stiff the rates are. I'm running 7k front and 10k rear springs along with a 26mm rear sway bar for auto-x and daily driving. Is it stiff, yes but it actually rides a lot more compliant than my old bilstien b8/ swift spec r combo due to my dampers settings, even on crap roads.

Reactions: MoSalem

·
Registered
152 Posts
@freakin_elrod are you sure about the springs ? it looks like a regular linear spring. All I have to do is get the dimension and look for someone who offer the same diameter spring, or am I missing something. @UnfocusedST I haver b14s the comfort is there but they lack in performance tbh and they use the oem bearings which get trashed after a month of winter driving and they start creaking.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
@freakin_elrod are you sure about the springs ? it looks like a regular linear spring. All I have to do is get the dimension and look for someone who offer the same diameter spring, or am I missing something. @UnfocusedST I haver b14s the comfort is there but they lack in performance tbh and they use the oem bearings which get trashed after a month of winter driving and they start creaking.
Yup, look at fortune auto's rear spring for the FoST. While it is a linear rate, it is one of those wonky barrel springs that taper. UnfocusedST had the FA's just before the YCW's and ran into this issue of not having the option of swapping rear springs. to make matters worse, most off the shelf coilover dampers allow + or - 2k of spring rate change. An FA damper comes with what, a 4.5 or 5k rear spring? Even if you do swap in a custom perch to accomdate a 60-62mm spring, you would either have to have the rear dampers revalved to work with higher rates than the + or - 2k or just deal with it and have something that just borderline works for what you need.

Reactions: MoSalem
1 - 20 of 33 Posts