Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focus st good for my first manual transmission car? Obviously I'd need to practice I know. But am I reaching for the stars here. This car gets my juices flowing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has a very nice shifting transmission and easy to use clutch. Plus it has built hill ascent control (the brakes will hold you on a hill as you let the clutch out from a stop in 1st gear)

I'd say it's a decent clutch to learn on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it's a good one to learn on. It's pretty forgiving in my opinion with a wide engagement point and light clutch. Plus the car has hill assist, which definitely helps beginners. You'll be pretty comfortable within a week of just driving it around town and getting a feel for it. Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to the both of you for your feedback. You've helped ease my nerves a lot about this decision. I've already test drove two and fell in love and will continue to look. Also I will update as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you've test driven two of them, you probably already know a little bit about how to use a clutch, right? You're only a beginner for a few hours, after that you'll be able to get around without any issues.

I'd say the ST is one of the easier cars to learn on. It's a torquey enough motor, it'll stay running at a poor takeoff much better than other 4 cylinder cars. Subaru's come to mind...the ones I've driven are easy to kill at a stoplight by accident.

If you really want a learning tool, and old pickup truck is probably the easiest. But the ST isn't far behind. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I agree with the others. As far as manual cars go this is pretty easy to drive. The clutch and shifting are smooth and light, and the car has enough torque to get going without hitting the throttle so you shouldn't stall out too much. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
By far the easiest manual transmission I've ever driven (though admittedly the others were vehicles from the last century).

My 15 year old wanted to learn to drive a manual, but was a little afraid of crashing daddy's baby (and mostly afraid of its power). So we started out on our POS '92 GMC Sonoma and he did splendidly. After a few lessons, I finally convinced him that the ST wasn't going to just launch itself into the trees when he touched the accelerator and he was in love from the first time he drove it. I've only experienced him stalling it one time, and that was after we got off the interstate and he simply forgot to push the clutch at the stop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As others have already eluded to, have had several manual vehicles over the years and the ST is the easiest to drive, especially with the hill assist. Just keep in mind you have to be at a complete stop for the hill assist to engage. My only complaint is the shift indicator, I disregard it completely and shift by feel or feedback from the vehicle. By the indicator mine would have me in 6th at 40mph which is too high of a gear for that low of speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As others have already eluded to, have had several manual vehicles over the years and the ST is the easiest to drive, especially with the hill assist. Just keep in mind you have to be at a complete stop for the hill assist to engage. My only complaint is the shift indicator, I disregard it completely and shift by feel or feedback from the vehicle. By the indicator mine would have me in 6th at 40mph which is too high of a gear for that low of speed.
The shift indicator threw me off too, but it's actually designed for best fuel economy. In the ST supplement manual it states for best fuel economy you will basically be in 6th gear at 42 MPH. Shifting into 2nd at 12mph....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Super easy to learn on as long as you're not a stowner (thread title pun) but in all seriousness, I taught my wife on this car. It was very easy for her to pick up, and she can't even drive her auto Subie smoothly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts