Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon! Been in the market for an ST/RS for a while and had to hastily trade my 14 GLi.
2017 ST3 Came with Fortune Auto Coilovers, Elliot FMIC and and AWE track catback.

These seem like pretty bulletproof cars so this is a good thing. I'm in the Milwaukee area and hope to see and meet some people if I get out for events.
Vehicle Cloud Car Tire Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Land vehicle
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
Congrats on the new to you ST. Please read up on LSPI and how to avoid it, as that's typically what kills the motor on an ST. Also, please feed it 91, or whatever the highest octane available to you is.

Any thoughts on other mods you may look at later on which you'd be interested in? (Cough) big turbo... 2867... (Cough)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah. Been trolling here for a bit and watched most stuff related to LSPI and avoiding it. I have come from DSM/EVO鈥檚 and thankful have 93 in Wisconsin and 91 non ethanol.
I am glad this platform has some turbo options.

Congrats on the new to you ST. Please read up on LSPI and how to avoid it, as that's typically what kills the motor on an ST. Also, please feed it 91, or whatever the highest octane available to you is.

Any thoughts on other mods you may look at later on which you'd be interested in? (Cough) big turbo... 2867... (Cough)

Registered
2017 OW ST1 unknown aftermarket FMIC & Exhaust, upgraded to Sync3 + full Recaro leather seat pkg.
Welcome and for sure if you have questions please check out the search feature 1st otherwise ya might get flamed by the genius overlords here. Beautiful car by the way, fortunate to have a proper FMIC as did I when I got mine. Best source of "proper" knowledge (here) you will ever find.

Reactions: sttwoton

Registered
Welcome aboard. Nice ride you picked up.

If it's tuned with an off the shelf Cobb map you need to change that.

Sounds like you are doing your due diligence regarding your new ride. Keep it up and we'll be helping you spend all of your excess money!

Reactions: sttwoton

Brian Tyson, Tuner/ Owner @ JST
2015 Ford Focus ST
The car looks nice! have fun with it!

Do you drive Road America pretty often? I'm looking to bring our shop Focus ST up there in the near future hopefully. Ive signed up for Optima USCA events there every year for the past 3 years ( and paid non refundable deposits each time) and have had to cancel on coming up every single time for some reason or another haha.

If you are running an OTS Cobb tune, i definitely recommend getting a custom tune. Not to be picking favorites or anything, but id probably recommend that you get one from us haha.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
Welcome! Any pics of the GLI? I really do like those cars, what was wrong with yours?

Also Don't run 91 ethanol free gas.

Regular 91 with 10% ethanol is less knock prone than rec 91, due to the knock resistance that ethanol brings at any given octane. 93 is even better of course.

The pistons in these engines are brittle and can easily be popped by the stock k03 turbo, but the engines will live at 400whp big turbo. We have a member here @Tunapish making 480whp on a stock engine.

Registered
2016 Oxford White ST3
Welcome to the club! Got mine last year shortly after moving to MKE. Always hitting up the Hoan for some good pics. HMU if you wanna go for a drive, I'm in Walker's Point. Got another friend with an ST nearby too

Registered
Afternoon! Been in the market for an ST/RS for a while and had to hastily trade my 14 GLi.
I came from a GLI myself when I got my first ST. But probably for different reasons...
Broke my heart, I loved that car.
I was in a pinch for a daily after that and stumbled across an ST on a lot. I had never given the car any attention previous to that so it was just an accident. low miles, looked good, bought it on the spot. Now I'm on my second one. It's been a great platform for the money spent.

Automotive parking light Car Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
2018 Focus ST1
Welcome! Any pics of the GLI? I really do like those cars, what was wrong with yours?

Regular 91 with 10% ethanol is less knock prone than rec 91, due to the knock resistance that ethanol brings at any given octane. 93 is even better of course.

The pistons in these engines are brittle and can easily be popped by the stock k03 turbo, but the engines will live at 400whp big turbo. We have a member here @Tunapish making 480whp on a stock engine.
Only thing I have broken is the 4th gear synchro! If you鈥檙e driving it like a normal person and keeping up with maintenance, - you shouldn鈥檛 have issues. I will sauce it a lot as well. But I鈥檓 in it for the long haul and not just racing it til it blows up lol
Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome and for sure if you have questions please check out the search feature 1st otherwise ya might get flamed by the genius overlords here. Beautiful car by the way, fortunate to have a proper FMIC as did I when I got mine. Best source of "proper" knowledge (here) you will ever find.
Yeah, I came from the DSM platform when forums were life and the search bar is the best way to go. I'm glad to have a community to research from. Thanks to all in advance!

Welcome to the club! Got mine last year shortly after moving to MKE. Always hitting up the Hoan for some good pics. HMU if you wanna go for a drive, I'm in Walker's Point. Got another friend with an ST nearby too
Oh for sure I will hit you up. Thanks for the shoutout.

Only thing I have broken is the 4th gear synchro! If you鈥檙e driving it like a normal person and keeping up with maintenance, - you shouldn鈥檛 have issues. I will sauce it a lot as well. But I鈥檓 in it for the long haul and not just racing it til it blows up lol
I don't usually drive wild. I enjoy putting my car through its paces but don't bounce off of a limiter while in a Chik-Fil-A drive through. Seems like these cars love to be driven.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It developed a bad timing chain death rattle, even with a well maintained Gen3 motor. 117k and I have a kid on the way. VW wanted $3800 to fix and I didn't want to have it down for long - with needing a car for work and life. Decided to get an ST after searching ST/RS for well over a year. I don't have any pics of it lowered about 1". Car was great to me. Never needed anything and it was a fun car.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

• Love
Reactions: TurboGT

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car looks nice! have fun with it!

Do you drive Road America pretty often? I'm looking to bring our shop Focus ST up there in the near future hopefully. Ive signed up for Optima USCA events there every year for the past 3 years ( and paid non refundable deposits each time) and have had to cancel on coming up every single time for some reason or another haha.

If you are running an OTS Cobb tune, i definitely recommend getting a custom tune. Not to be picking favorites or anything, but id probably recommend that you get one from us haha.
I haven't done track days but go up there on the regular for AMA/bike stuff. Hence the "paddock" plate lol. My brother in law is a driving instructor up there. I happen to be a state driving instructor for law enforcement so I am working that angle to bring squads up there for an actual performance driving day at the track.

I dont think this is tuned at all, but I am no expert yet on ST's. My gear indicators and all still light up so I have read that its all stock. If I have a better set of eyes to comb through things, it couldn't hurt!

Brian Tyson, Tuner/ Owner @ JST
2015 Ford Focus ST
I haven't done track days but go up there on the regular for AMA/bike stuff. Hence the "paddock" plate lol. My brother in law is a driving instructor up there. I happen to be a state driving instructor for law enforcement so I am working that angle to bring squads up there for an actual performance driving day at the track.

I dont think this is tuned at all, but I am no expert yet on ST's. My gear indicators and all still light up so I have read that its all stock. If I have a better set of eyes to comb through things, it couldn't hurt!
yep gear indicators are left on by default in our tunes as well, but i can turn them off by request.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts