Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2k Miles on the car so far,

What oil temperature should the car reach before spirited driving?
-I usually wait until the gauge is at the 1/4 marker, though sometimes I only wait until its 1/6. And by spirited driving I mean I am not doing burnouts but decently hard acceleration (To the point the wheels spin somewhat) and 4th gear pulls on the highway.

Where would be the best place to go to get a RMM installed, and what do you recommend? I can't decide between the COBB or electric one.
-Reason being, I am looking to reduce wheel hop. Ways I've seen to do so are either of the following: RMM, Wider tires, All-Season tires (Not sure about this), COBB traction control tune (Out of the question as I don't want to void warranty). My solution so far has been a driver mod... but it would be nice to gas it harder.

Has anyone taken out the clutch assist spring?
-I have recently started to notice it and it is driving me nuts. I'm wondering how much of an improvement it'd be.

No major issues yet with the car, but there was one point where I was in 3rd gear accelerating and it was acting as if it were in neutral. The gear didn't pop out of 3rd, it was in 3rd but just reving the engine up. I shifted back into neutral and into 3rd again and it was fine. It only happened once and has not happened since... anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
56 Posts
1. For oil temperature I generally use the 1/4 mark as my indication to when I can start pushing the car a bit more... have only had the car for about a year but no issues so far.
2. There is a massive thread discussing RMM... but cant find it for the life of me right now...
3. There is a big discussion on the spring too. I think at this point a Ford master technician has strongly suggested you dont as the clutch will start to fade with the pedal, and can cause failures.

People much more knowledgable than me can expand I am sure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To answer your question about wheel hop, the CPE stage 2 RMM and the TB performance traction bar are an awesome pair. After the rmm is broken in the vibrations are minimally more than stock. I've had this setup for a while an I really love it!

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Congrats on the ST. Sounds like your clutch may have been slipping. Especially if you were shifting hard. 1st and second will spin, the torque in third on my car at least, has slipped the clutch on a few occasions but only after the big turbo upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
To answer your question about wheel hop, the CPE stage 2 RMM and the TB performance traction bar are an awesome pair. After the rmm is broken in the vibrations are minimally more than stock. I've had this setup for a while an I really love it!

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Oil temp at roughly 1/4 is a good mark before pushing the car beyond casual driving, IMO.

I have about 500 miles on my cPE stage 2 RMM so it's just starting to settle down and I love it. Haven't installed the traction bar yet... that took a back seat to getting the APv3.

Congrats on the ST. You're going to love it. ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I don't build any boost at all (unless absolutely necessary or accidental..but no more than 1psi ususally) until I'm at the 1/4 mark, and even still I am reluctant to go full balls to the wall mode for another 10 minutes at least. The 3rd gear issue sounds almost like it wasn't engaged completely..like the gate closed before you grinded the gear, but it didn't return back to neutral. Doesn't sound like a clutch slip because you would have at least had SOME resistance from the clutch.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Only 2k Miles on the car so far,

What oil temperature should the car reach before spirited driving?
-I usually wait until the gauge is at the 1/4 marker, though sometimes I only wait until its 1/6. And by spirited driving I mean I am not doing burnouts but decently hard acceleration (To the point the wheels spin somewhat) and 4th gear pulls on the highway.

Where would be the best place to go to get a RMM installed, and what do you recommend? I can't decide between the COBB or electric one.
-Reason being, I am looking to reduce wheel hop. Ways I've seen to do so are either of the following: RMM, Wider tires, All-Season tires (Not sure about this), COBB traction control tune (Out of the question as I don't want to void warranty). My solution so far has been a driver mod... but it would be nice to gas it harder.

Has anyone taken out the clutch assist spring?
-I have recently started to notice it and it is driving me nuts. I'm wondering how much of an improvement it'd be.

No major issues yet with the car, but there was one point where I was in 3rd gear accelerating and it was acting as if it were in neutral. The gear didn't pop out of 3rd, it was in 3rd but just reving the engine up. I shifted back into neutral and into 3rd again and it was fine. It only happened once and has not happened since... anything to be concerned about?
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/2886-motor-mount-thread-rmm.html

You have the electric motor mount as this was the factory upgrade from the original piece of crap. I have the Cobb and like it quite a bit.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...s-focus-st-have-assistance-clutch-spring.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't build any boost at all (unless absolutely necessary or accidental..but no more than 1psi ususally) until I'm at the 1/4 mark, and even still I am reluctant to go full balls to the wall mode for another 10 minutes at least. The 3rd gear issue sounds almost like it wasn't engaged completely..like the gate closed before you grinded the gear, but it didn't return back to neutral. Doesn't sound like a clutch slip because you would have at least had SOME resistance from the clutch.
Hmm, that very may well be it, I shouldn't be worried then, thanks!

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/2886-motor-mount-thread-rmm.html

You have the electric motor mount as this was the factory upgrade from the original piece of crap. I have the Cobb and like it quite a bit.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...s-focus-st-have-assistance-clutch-spring.html
Thanks for the links, I'll check it out.
Oil temp at roughly 1/4 is a good mark before pushing the car beyond casual driving, IMO.

I have about 500 miles on my cPE stage 2 RMM so it's just starting to settle down and I love it. Haven't installed the traction bar yet... that took a back seat to getting the APv3.

Congrats on the ST. You're going to love it. ��

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ah yea, I forgot about the traction bar, I will have to do that!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't listen to anyone that tells you to buy any RMM other than the cp-e stage 2. I had the COBB and practically gave it away after using it for a while.

Reactions: mike-st2
1 - 9 of 9 Posts