21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Registered
388 Posts
What's funny about it? They are knock offs.
The point of rotas is that you get a copy of a more expensive hard to get wheel at a fraction of the price and easy availability. Having to wait 4 months for wheels kind of kills the point.
Well I get it, there is some "knock off'ish" style between them.

I personally think $1000 for the style is far more in the norm then $4000 for the TE's .. so yes, these are the "knock offs" but for a $3000 difference.... and the face shape and design of the spokes is slightly different. ::shrug:: to each their own.

But to say "you waited months for knock-offs instead of getting the real thing" is pretty stupid to state when you look at a $3000 difference. Almost any of your wheels you find in the sub $2500 price range are "knock offs" ... mostly every wheel on this forum is some sort of "knock off".
Sorry but this is nonsense. And you can remove the quotes around the word knock off.
Yeah, I never would buy $4k wheels, especially on a car worth less then $50k. These Rotas seem very well made! I actually like the way they look more then the Volks, as far as I can tell. They seem a bit more concave and I like the tapered spoke shape more then the straight, flat spoke shape on the Volks. I might get some hate for this, but I actually would have liked the XXR 522 because the spokes seem to stick out even more, but they are not made in our drill pattern.
I wouldn't put expensive wheels on this car either so I get the appeal of knock offs but personally I would never buy them.

A reminder too the Volks will be redrilled. There are none of the popular models available in our bolt pattern
Not entirely true as you can get some sets in our bolt pattern. Also if you buy from vivid they can have them redrilled so it's really a non issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you want an opinion on the drop, I say do it. I think it looks weird with wide wheels and a big fender gap.

Here's another opinion about rotas being knockoffs: If somebody puts $3500-$4000 TE37s on a Ford Focus, they're just silly and wasteful. Especially since it's a bolt pattern that can essentially only be used on the Focus and other FWD Fords. As for Rotas, knock offs they are, but they are just fine for daily driving and autocross. Also AFAIK the only difference between the TE37 and the Grids is alignment of the lug holes and valve stem so yes they are copies.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The point of rotas is that you get a copy of a more expensive hard to get wheel at a fraction of the price and easy availability. Having to wait 4 months for wheels kind of kills the point.
yeah, except for the whole saving $3,000 thing...

;)

For what its worth, I didn't know they were knockoffs and now that I do I don't care! They look amazing IMHO and they seem to have a great reputation regardless.

Reactions: TwyzT and Raiderfan

·
Registered
91 Posts
That looks awsome man!! i just placed my order for some matte black ones today actually! How far do they actually stick out in person? my car is on stock suspension also and was just curious
We'll be wearing the same shoes pretty soon :RockOn:

Well kinda soon. Ordered mine in March, and it feels like it's been FOREVER

Reactions: jaross

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the wheels look great dude. It was between these and Klutch Km20's for me. I really wanted bronze so I went the other way but I am glad to know my car would have looked awesome either way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting watch. Not that this directly relates to Rotas, but they are known to fail, along with lots of other wheels. There's a reason the originals cost so much. To me this video is more against the $500 ebay wheels that people seem to love.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Not all that interesting. The pics of the bent volks are know to be knock offs and not real volks. A vendor on here said the same thing when that pic was show. You don't like the sound of re-drilling? how do you think the holes got there in the first place?
The thing I don't like about it is the "re" part of it. The more you mess with metal, the more brittle and weak it becomes. It was my understanding that if they don't make a wheel in your bolt pattern from the factory, one should look else where.

I highly doubt that Volks are honestly indestructible. It looks like those wheels were in a hell of a crash. No matter how well made a wheel is, I am sure it can be destroyed. Also, if that is the case, then those wheels are replicas and not simply hommages like they talk about in that article.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sick wheels bro,as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

I'm just glad no one said the R word in here :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
How's the fitment on those? Do they rub at all? Do you need to run spacers or anything? Or do they just bolt up no issues?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
bolt up no issues, with stock height anyway.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts