Ford Focus ST Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,065 Posts
View attachment 71841 View attachment 71842 View attachment 71843

I have been impressed with this kit overall. I have found a few things you'll want to watch out for.
Check the color of the spring inside the Bov before installation! It should be black.

This kit is supposed to come with a black spring in the Tial BOV. I'm not the first person to find the wrong color spring installed in the tial bov. The black spring is specially made for the ST from what I hear from CP-E. My Bov wasn't opening fast enough due to the increased boost from tunes and eventually the GTX. So, I decided to run the vacuum line to the manifold via symposer delete vs the oem solenoid. I ordered the plain/unpainted spring for the different vacuum pressure. When I opened the tial up to swap the spring I found an orange spring. (Perhaps, Orange IS the new black.) Unpainted/plain and orange spring shown in picture above.

Make sure nothing is rubbing!
I also wonder why the bolts in all the hose clamps are so long. I can't balme CPE for this but be careful how you route them. Mine was rubbing on the AC condenser and started to wear a hole in it. I cut it shorter and hope I don't have any issues with my AC condensor later.
As for your clamps that is kitting the compressor if you angle it to point more towards the bottom engine bay cover this will keep it from hitting. It also makes it easier to get a wrench around it.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Premium Member
13,065 Posts
If your running g the spring that cp-e provides you should attach it as per their instructions. However if you wish to run the bov off the symposer delete most will say use the plain spring. The yellow is to stiff. I don't believe turbo size plays a part. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Ok, someone help me out here. If running a big turbo, I should be using the included orange spring and running the line to the symposer delete block off plate?

What if I have stock turbo and symposer delete, same thing? Sorry, can't find instructions on CPE's site.
@Zip651
@UnfocusedST
@[email protected]
Thought it worked off of vacuum so different turbo is not a factor. I confirmed with Edge that to run off of the manifold you need the unpainted spring. That's what @Zip651 is running also.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If your running g the spring that cp-e provides you should attach it as per their instructions. However if you wish to run the bov off the symposer delete most will say use the plain spring. The yellow is to stiff. I don't believe turbo size plays a part. I could be wrong.

What's the plain spring? I haven't opened my BOV, but in the box with it was an orange spring. Guess I'll open it and see if the spring in the BOV is the "plain" spring.

Thought it worked off of vacuum so different turbo is not a factor. I confirmed with Edge that to run off of the manifold you need the unpainted spring. That's what @Zip651 is running also.
Ok, so if I'm not using the solenoid, use the plain spring, not the orange spring.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
What's the plain spring? I haven't opened my BOV, but in the box with it was an orange spring. Guess I'll open it and see if the spring in the BOV is the "plain" spring.

Ok, so if I'm not using the solenoid, use the plain spring, not the orange spring.
Yah CP-Es exhale kit has a custom spring designed specifically for the ST to run off of the solenoid. To run it manually off of the manifold the "plain" unpainted spring is needed. Here is the spring chart: BOVspc.png

I'm sure you know we run -10/-11 psi at idle.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Ok, someone help me out here. If running a big turbo, I should be using the included orange spring and running the line to the symposer delete block off plate?

What if I have stock turbo and symposer delete, same thing? Sorry, can't find instructions on CPE's site.
@Zip651
@UnfocusedST
@[email protected]
Connect it to a manifold source. Much better results and helps the wgdc as well. Can't say what spring to use for that though. My Greddy had a double spring in it, and I had to remove the lighter of the springs and just use the heavier one to get it to respond fast enough. So I would assume you'll be on the lighter side of things.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! Also got confirmation from the previous owner of the BOV that I am to use the plain spring hooked up to symposer delete plate/manifold. Will be going on tomorrow and if I get crazy I will start the turbo install.

·
Registered
996 Posts

@Zip651
@UnfocusedST
@[email protected]
Depending on where you order the spring they will call it plain or unpainted, same spring though. Here's a pic of my tial with the Orange spring it came with from cpe. You can see the plain spring on the table next to it that I am using for vaccuum control and the GTX2867r turbo. Works great!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! Also got confirmation from the previous owner of the BOV that I am to use the plain spring hooked up to symposer delete plate/manifold. Will be going on tomorrow and if I get crazy I will start the turbo install.
My offer still stands. I get off work at noon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ok just want to make sure coz im reading all of the post here and their talking about different color of springs ... just wana make sure...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a used exhale kit and want to buy the Tial BOV for it. Which exact one would I need to get?

·
Premium Member
13,065 Posts
Gotcha. Can you take a picture just to make sure you have the one with the TiAL flange? If it is you'll need the block off plate for the turbo if you don't have it. You can purchase the ATP one. Also you will need the plain spring to attach to a symposer delete. If you don't have one get the cp-e plate. Comes with the nipple needed for the vacuum line.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts