Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Vendor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Details:
The JBR Double Adjustable Short Shift Arm Kit is perfect for those wanting to reduce the long stock shifter throw by providing options to reduce the throw by 20% or 40%.

Further customization is made possible by adding or removing the 3, 1/4 lb. counter weights. Being fully customizable, this kit is sure to accommodate every driver and driving style, on the street or on the track.

JBR designs and prototypes in house using the latest CAD and 3D printing technologies, then tests to ensure the product you receive is of the highest quality, form, fit and function that you demand.

With longevity in mind, 6061 aluminum and 304 stainless were used to make up the the key components of the kit. This is to ensure it will withstand the abuse on the track and the harsh elements all year round providing a lifetime of trouble-free enjoyment.

Final production is then followed with strict manufacturing and finishing processes. All products receive the TRU-Performance stamp of approval before making their way to the consumer.

With a very straightforward design, installation of this kit is a breeze. Following our online installation instructions found in the support section of our website, even those with the most basic mechanical knowledge will be enjoying short, crisp and accurate shifts in no time.

Features:
  • Designed and manufactured in the USA
  • Fully customizable
  • Simple to install in 30 minutes or less.
  • Anodized for corrosion resistance
Application:
  • 2013+ Ford Focus ST
The kit includes:
  • 1 Double adjustable short shift arm
  • 3 1/4 lb. counter weights
  • 1 1/4-20 x 2.25" bolt
  • 1 1/4-20 x 1.5" bolt
  • 1 1/4" flat washer
  • 1 1/4" lock washer
  • 2 6mm x 1.0 x 35mm bolts
  • 1 6mm flat washer
  • 1 6mm lock washer
  • 1 8mm x 1.25 x 45mm bolt
  • 2 8mm flat washers
  • 1 8mm lock washer
  • 1 8mm nut
  • 1 Cable mounting stud
  • Shipping is free in the US & our Hassle Free Lifetime Warranty is included.
  • Installation instructions are available in our support section.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Awesome. Interested to see how this stacks up against the Breedt shift arm.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can you go into more detail on the design of it as it looks totally different from both the stock and breedt shift arms?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
There was a lot of discussion a while ago about the height of the ball-stud on the Breedt shift arm being too high. This resulted in putting unnecessary strain on the shift cables and making it hard to get in and out of some gears when the max reduction mounting location was used. One user even machined the arm down himself to try and deal with this issue.

My question is, have you guys taken any of these factors into consideration? How does the height and location of the ball stud on your shift arm compare to that of the Breedt arm and/or the stock arm?

If I can get a 40% reduction using a shift arm that keeps the ball stud at the stock height I will dump my Breedt arm and pick yours up immediately. The only shift arm I'm currently aware of that maintains the stock ball stud height is the Mountune arm but it only offers a 25% reduction.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There was a lot of discussion a while ago about the height of the ball-stud on the Breedt shift arm being too high. This resulted in putting unnecessary strain on the shift cables and making it hard to get in and out of some gears when the max reduction mounting location was used. One user even machined the arm down himself to try and deal with this issue.

My question is, have you guys taken any of these factors into consideration? How does the height and location of the ball stud on your shift arm compare to that of the Breedt arm and/or the stock arm?

If I can get a 40% reduction using a shift arm that keeps the ball stud at the stock height I will dump my Breedt arm and pick yours up immediately. The only shift arm I'm currently aware of that maintains the stock ball stud height is the Mountune arm but it only offers a 25% reduction.
You literally read my mind, very good question. Would love to hear from jbr on that

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bump for answers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We anticipated this question and below is our response.

The cable height of our shift arm is only 3/16" (see pictures below) higher than the OEM. This is well within the safe articulation range of the cable. We have no personal experience with the Breedt arm so, I cannot comment on the difference with it. We do know several people with the Breedt arm that have never had any issues.

It's our opinion that there is no real issue with the Breedt arm. We do however believe many of the issues people are experiencing with it and other adapters are two fold. First, the method used to remove the cable from the OEM arm is one. Prying it off with a screw driver often leads to damaging the tabs that secure it to the mounting stud. Also, the use of the needless replacement bushing is a major contributor to the problems people are having with the Breedt arm or any arm or adapter. Removing the factory cable end and replacing it with a replacement bushing should NEVER be done. The cushion and subsequent play in the OEM cable end is there for a reason.

There is some validity to the issues people are having with adapters that mount on top of the OEM arm that significantly raise the cable height. This is one of the main reasons we went with a complete arm.

The OEM cable should be removed properly by depressing the center with a tool such as a philps head screw driver while lifting the cable off, either by hand or with a flat head screw driver. This procedure properly spreads the tabs inside the cup and releases the cable without force.

We have thoroughly test our arm and have never had any issues. Typical test setup consisted of the arm with varying counter weight configurations, solid shifter base bushings, solid cable mounting bracket bushings and a heavy shift knob.

Cable height differences...

OEM is at 1-5/16"

JBR is at 1.5"

The cable should only be removed using this method...

·
Registered
506 Posts
All other shift arms (OEM, Breedt, Mountune) have a counterbalance design but yours does not. Does this create any problems elsewhere? Like on the Linkage into the trans by not having even loading, or movement characteristics of the shifter itself?

·
Vendor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All other shift arms (OEM, Breedt, Mountune) have a counterbalance design but yours does not. Does this create any problems elsewhere? Like on the Linkage into the trans by not having even loading, or movement characteristics of the shifter itself?
No issues what so ever. There is no even or uneven loading on the input shaft with or without the the other half of the arm.

·
Registered
326 Posts
With the new arm how how much added effort is needed to shift into gears? I know some members complained about the added effort after installing a shift plate. Even with the Breedt arm members were switching down to 25% reduced throw from 40% because the added effort wasn't pleasant for daily driving. I am assuming by adding the extra 3/4 pounds of counter weight the increased effort is reduced? Would this be a good product for someone who wants to balance both drivability and performance?

·
Vendor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the new arm how how much added effort is needed to shift into gears? I know some members complained about the added effort after installing a shift plate. Even with the Breedt arm members were switching down to 25% reduced throw from 40% because the added effort wasn't pleasant for daily driving. I am assuming by adding the extra 3/4 pounds of counter weight the increased effort is reduced? Would this be a good product for someone who wants to balance both drivability and performance?
These are challenging questions to answer...Easy answers first...Yes, there some added effort needed; less at 20% than at 40%. Yes, the counter weights aid in combating the added effort. Each individual has a different perception of what is too much. We like racing, so we like the added effort and the connected feeling that comes from it. Some drivers want to maintain that buttery feeling and that's not possible with a shift plate or short shifter. Adding a heavy shift knob mitigates much of the effort and notchy characteristics exhibited by short shifters and shift plates.

We think with the right setup, shift arm with all weights and a heavy knob, it's a really nice mod for comfort and drivability. Then again, some may feel differently. Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just installed this the past weekend and will give my two cents. Overall it's a well made peice. The construction is solid and the fitment is perfect as to be expected from JBR. I think for what it does and the quality of material you receive, the price point is fantastic.

As far as the install goes it's not too bad at all. If you get the bracket bushings that is going to take the longest as you have to remove the whole battery tray assembly. Once I got that in I tackled the shift arm. My car only has 5k miles on it so the dreaded roll pin everyone is scared of hammering out came out super easy. Just needed some pb blaster, a few wacks and it started walkin.

Once installed I was amazed at what a 40% reduction felt like. I tried both settings, 40% reduction and 20%. As far as notchiness goes they both felt similar to me and the increased shifting difficulty felt about the same to me as well. Because of this I opted to stay at 40%. I also tried it with the counter weights on and off and felt that the counterweights do indeed decrease some of the added difficulty. Not a lot of it but some.

Now it's been a few days and the excitement of the new install has begun to wear off and I am noticing the difficulty to shift into gear a bit more. It is not enough for me to dislike the product whatsoever but it's there. I am still running my stock shift knob and am thinking a heavy knob will help alleviate some of this. (yes I'm looking at the jbr knob too ;)) Especially on the stock shift arm I think a heavy knob would make it much easier to get into the gears.

Overall I love the product. I can't even think about going back to the stock throw. The throws are oh so crispy now. I also like how this shift arm only raises the linkages a minuscule amount compared to the brackets and other shift arms on the market. This in turn puts no added stress on your shift linkages which is another plus. Great product. Would recommend.

Everything out!

Shift bracket out

Installed

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just installed this the past weekend and will give my two cents. Overall it's a well made peice. The construction is solid and the fitment is perfect as to be expected from JBR. I think for what it does and the quality of material you receive, the price point is fantastic.

As far as the install goes it's not too bad at all. If you get the bracket bushings that is going to take the longest as you have to remove the whole battery tray assembly. Once I got that in I tackled the shift arm. My car only has 5k miles on it so the dreaded roll pin everyone is scared of hammering out came out super easy. Just needed some pb blaster, a few wacks and it started walkin.

Once installed I was amazed at what a 40% reduction felt like. I tried both settings, 40% reduction and 20%. As far as notchiness goes they both felt similar to me and the increased shifting difficulty felt about the same to me as well. Because of this I opted to stay at 40%. I also tried it with the counter weights on and off and felt that the counterweights do indeed decrease some of the added difficulty. Not a lot of it but some.

Now it's been a few days and the excitement of the new install has begun to wear off and I am noticing the difficulty to shift into gear a bit more. It is not enough for me to dislike the product whatsoever but it's there. I am still running my stock shift knob and am thinking a heavy knob will help alleviate some of this. (yes I'm looking at the jbr knob too ;)) Especially on the stock shift arm I think a heavy knob would make it much easier to get into the gears.

Overall I love the product. I can't even think about going back to the stock throw. The throws are oh so crispy now. I also like how this shift arm only raises the linkages a minuscule amount compared to the brackets and other shift arms on the market. This in turn puts no added stress on your shift linkages which is another plus. Great product. Would recommend.

Everything out!

Shift bracket out

Installed

Looks great in there. Love seeing the feedback and photos!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any chance of a Memorial Day Sale? :smile:

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Vendor
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So many of these went out during the sale we've been cleared out entirely!

We'll have another 100 late next week.

-Jamie

1 - 20 of 58 Posts