Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details:
Are you tuned? Are you a track Junkie? Are you both? Within 10 minutes of being on track or an evening of repeatedly putting a few car lengths on your buddies STI, the oil temperature and coolant temperatures in your Focus ST can begin to rise in to unsafe territory which can eventually lead to overheating. Either of these conditions or a combination of both will result in prolonged excessive oil temperatures that prematurely breaks down the oil and increases engine wear.

The JBR Focus ST Oil Cooler Kit employs a 19 row core constructed out of aluminum corrugated-fins & internal tubular plates greatly increasing both thermal efficiency and mechanical strength, so you get the smallest, lightest and more importantly, the most efficient oil cooler package.

Custom length commercial grade -10AN fittings and large ID stainless braided lines are the key to minimizing the pressure drop and making for an easy installation.

The polished billet aluminum sandwich plate incorporates 2, 1/8” NPT ports for additional gauges and sensors.

Custom mounting brackets and stainless steel hardware keep the core solidly mounted out front of the radiator maximizing its exposure to incoming airflow resulting in an oil temp reduction of over 30⁰F.

Features:
  • Designed and Manufactured in the USA
  • Direct bolt on application
  • Corrugated-fin & tubular plate aluminum core
  • Commercial grade —AN10 fittings and large ID Stainless lines
  • +30⁰ drop in oil temps

Includes:
  • 1 Oil cooler core
  • 2 Stainless braided hoses
  • 1 Sandwich plate & 2 1/8” NPT Plugs
  • 2 Application specific core mounting brackets
  • 2 Aluminized fiber glass heat shield sleeves
  • Stainless steel mounting hardware
  • Installation instructions are available in our support section
  • Shipping is free in the US & our Hassle Free Lifetime Warranty is included

·
Super Moderator
8,527 Posts
Nice...and the price looks good too!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Beautiful. Subbed for the future.

Sent from another garage

·
Vendor
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any chance of a thermostatic plate as an option?

Sent from another garage.
No. We tested thermostatic plates and found absolutely no benefit. The oil heats up so fast, even in cold weather that there's no reason to spend the extra money.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Can't wait to get mine! Kit looks top notch!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
No. We tested thermostatic plates and found absolutely no benefit. The oil heats up so fast, even in cold weather that there's no reason to spend the extra money.
Nice price for a well made kit (looks like pretty much same specs as the Mishimoto unit, but much cheaper). Did you test with an aftermarket gauge and temp probe in one of the ports or use the ECU data? The ECU doesn't measure oil temperature, there is a model based on coolant temperature and engine speed/load history.

My only concern is with the non-thermostatic option and your claim that it doesn't make a difference. This statement seems to be in complete contrast to the claim that it's a very efficient cooler. There are really only a couple scenarios that would make this true:

1) The thermostatic plates weren't working correctly and thus you didn't see a difference between having one and not. I have a thermostatic plate and actual temp gauge and during normal driving the oil temp stabilizes at about 190-195F (185F oil cooler thermostat).

2) The oil cooler is not actually very effective. If the cooler is very efficient and doesn't have a thermostat it should be able to keep the oil temperatures very low in cold weather and normal driving as there will be little heat generated. Granted the oil-water heater exchanger will be trying to heat the oil up, but that is putting in much less heat than would be generated by high RPM operation on track and with an efficient cooler and low ambient air temps, it should keep the oil nice and chilly (great for combating high temps at the track, not so much for daily driving).

Reactions: Lou64 and FordTech

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like I found the oil cooler for me!

Reactions: juSTin_1

·
Vendor
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice price for a well made kit (looks like pretty much same specs as the Mishimoto unit, but much cheaper). Did you test with an aftermarket gauge and temp probe in one of the ports or use the ECU data? The ECU doesn't measure oil temperature, there is a model based on coolant temperature and engine speed/load history.

My only concern is with the non-thermostatic option and your claim that it doesn't make a difference. This statement seems to be in complete contrast to the claim that it's a very efficient cooler. There are really only a couple scenarios that would make this true:

1) The thermostatic plates weren't working correctly and thus you didn't see a difference between having one and not. I have a thermostatic plate and actual temp gauge and during normal driving the oil temp stabilizes at about 190-195F (185F oil cooler thermostat).

2) The oil cooler is not actually very effective. If the cooler is very efficient and doesn't have a thermostat it should be able to keep the oil temperatures very low in cold weather and normal driving as there will be little heat generated. Granted the oil-water heater exchanger will be trying to heat the oil up, but that is putting in much less heat than would be generated by high RPM operation on track and with an efficient cooler and low ambient air temps, it should keep the oil nice and chilly (great for combating high temps at the track, not so much for daily driving).

The testing we performed was done using both analog pressure and temperature gauges as well data captured from the ECU. The data from all sources was then compiled and the results of the testing were generated demonstrating that the oil cooler is very efficient. All testing was done without a thermostatic adapter to possibly skew the results.

If you have a 185F thermostat and during normal driving conditions your oil temperature settles at ~190-195F this just reinforces the lack of a need for one. The engines normal operating oil temperature is not directly related to the ambient temperature.

·
Vendor
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are currently on sale and $40.00 off regular price! Sale will be ending soon.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The testing we performed was done using both analog pressure and temperature gauges as well data captured from the ECU. The data from all sources was then compiled and the results of the testing were generated demonstrating that the oil cooler is very efficient. All testing was done without a thermostatic adapter to possibly skew the results.

If you have a 185F thermostat and during normal driving conditions your oil temperature settles at ~190-195F this just reinforces the lack of a need for one. The engines normal operating oil temperature is not directly related to the ambient temperature.
So should we buy one or not? :wink:

I'm not sure what your test was, but I can drive for at least 15 minutes without my oil ever heating up to 120. I have an oil cooler with a thermo plate. If I had no thermo on the plate, are you saying that wouldn't be different? It would take the same amount of time to heat up? That doesn't seem logical, but would love to here your response with just how this was concluded.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts