Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
What was your solution, mine started with just a single pop then the radio would stop working and would start back working when I restarted the car, now it crackles and static noise just driving with the radio off.
The only solution is to replace the radio head unit. The output IC chip has failed inside the unit. This is a common problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only solution is to replace the radio head unit. The output IC chip has failed inside the unit. This is a common problem.
Is the head unit something that needs programmed with the IDS once its replaced? This is assuming you're replacing the unit with another OEM unit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is the head unit something that needs programmed with the IDS once its replaced? This is assuming you're replacing the unit with another OEM unit.
In my case (2013 Focus ST1 with the non-Sony system) I just looked for head units from Focus ST (and non-ST) with the year (1012, 2013 and 2014) and same base part number and did a drop in swap. I paid about $100 for a unit from a low mileage car as I recall. No programming required.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A few months ago in the hot summer (100°+) we had in Netherlands, I also had a static noise problem. Turned out for my car to be the speaker on the dash behind the 3 gauges was overheated, unplugged it and noise was gone. With lower temps. plugged speaker back in, no problem anymore

·
Registered
88 Posts
Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect it and start up the car... See if the problem is still there... It shouldn't be...

·
Super Moderator
7,427 Posts
Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect it and start up the car... See if the problem is still there... It shouldn't be...
I'm trying to remember if I disconnected the battery for this. I do remember pulling the fuse for the Sync system, that works too. Nothing else did the trick. Really weird when it happens.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have no idea if my suggestion will work, but in theory, if the issue isn't major, it should sort out the problem...

Either way, it's a free and fast option, so definitely worth a try, in my opinion...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had this issue twice now since owning the car. Weather doesn't seem to be an issue, but it both happened when I just entered the car after it's been standing still for a while (8 hours). First time was on a hot day in the summer, last time was 2 days ago being 3 degrees celcius outside. It seems to be the center speaker under the boost / oil gauge 'causing the noise, and there are several topics about it. The only real permanent "solution" seems to be unplugging the center speaker, and leave it like that. You can also just step out the car, lock it, wait for the display to turn off, and get in your car again. Both times that it happened to me, that "fixed" the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stock sound system or aftermarket... I've found the issue your describing once before due to a dry/faulty connection...

I would have all the wiring rechecked, especially at the aerial around the roof and back of the radio.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I say that because it may just be a faulty/loose connection that gets worse the the increased temperature, when the metal wires/connections expand, causing faulty/troublesome connections... Remove "plug and play" wires that you can/RCA's, spray some "Q-20" or other silicone based spray to the male and female portions of the setup and reconnect.

Hope this helps... If not, I'm out of ideas...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts