Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem just happened. Opened the door, got in and started the car... as soon as the radio turned on there was an extremely loud static noise coming from the speakers. All I could do was turn the volume all the way down to make it stop. Also, with the volume turned completely down, anytime i touched the screen it would make the loud static noise again for a split second.

Doesn't sound like the ghost speaker problem as this didn't happen until I turned the car on.

Any ideas? :furious:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Now assuming that all the radio stations in your area didn't fail simultaneously, you have a very interesting issue. The first thing I would try is to pull the fuse to the head unit, put it back in, and turn it back on. Let it set itself up. Then turn the car off and disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect and let the stereo set itself up again. There are 2 different resets for the stereo and each process resets a certain key part. The service department did this on mine and it corrected many things that were wrong in my first ST. The nav started taking commands, bluetooth stopped locking up on my phone by 90%.

Maybe the stereo freaked out. It is a computer... If that doesn't work, I would see the dealer because it could be something soldered wrong inside passing voltage which could be dangerous. The fact that you touch it and it makes noise is odd.

Oh... I just got my OW ST3 (bestest color of all! :saint:).. How do you like the short shift bracket? I am so ready to pull the trigger on that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Or.....press the radio button and select your area as you could have bumped it. Also, ST likes reset its self bow and then for updates you may find you need to re-program the Sony

·
Registered
53 Posts
This actually just happened to me earlier this week. Same exact problem, but it resolved itself after I shut off the car, opened the door, and allowed the whole system to shut down. Once I turned the car back on the static was gone.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now assuming that all the radio stations in your area didn't fail simultaneously, you have a very interesting issue. The first thing I would try is to pull the fuse to the head unit, put it back in, and turn it back on. Let it set itself up. Then turn the car off and disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect and let the stereo set itself up again. There are 2 different resets for the stereo and each process resets a certain key part. The service department did this on mine and it corrected many things that were wrong in my first ST. The nav started taking commands, bluetooth stopped locking up on my phone by 90%.

Maybe the stereo freaked out. It is a computer... If that doesn't work, I would see the dealer because it could be something soldered wrong inside passing voltage which could be dangerous. The fact that you touch it and it makes noise is odd.

Oh... I just got my OW ST3 (bestest color of all! :saint:).. How do you like the short shift bracket? I am so ready to pull the trigger on that.
I will see if it has corrected itself in the morning. I did not have it tuned to radio at the time. It was on Sirius and changing between inputs didn't help. It was as if any sound at all that would need to come through the speakers would just make the loud static noise instead of its usual sound. Example being the ding you usually get when you touch an input on the screen. It would just make the loud noise instead of the ding... very strange.

I love the short shift bracket. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This happened to me a few days ago as well. It scared the **** outta me! Was in a campground and it was 11pm so it probably woke everyone up as well. Hasn't happened since (you know, since my car is in the shop for overheating... =/ )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Twice now after parking car, shutting door but still close to car I have heard very loud static sounds coming from speakers - much louder than the volume level I had selected when listening to radio. One time it stopped when I restarted the car and the next time while in the garage it stopped when I opened and closed the door. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Twice now after parking car, shutting door but still close to car I have heard very loud static sounds coming from speakers - much louder than the volume level I had selected when listening to radio. One time it stopped when I restarted the car and the next time while in the garage it stopped when I opened and closed the door. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem?
Hey frank maguire,

I'll gladly look into this for you. Please PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
This just happened to me! I heard a loud pop when I hit the ignition button and then all he'll broke loose. Full volume static, I minimized the volume but it still hissed anytime the beep from a button press was supposed to go. I turned the car off again after I drove home and when u turned it back in it was gone...will report if it happens again!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
This just happened to me! I heard a loud pop when I hit the ignition button and then all he'll broke loose. Full volume static, I minimized the volume but it still hissed anytime the beep from a button press was supposed to go. I turned the car off again after I drove home and when u turned it back in it was gone...will report if it happens again!
Hey musanman,

Have you spoke with your Ford Dealer about this? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number; I'll see how to best assist.

Nick

·
Registered
187 Posts
A couple days ago my right passenger speaker was acting up with static. even with the radio off it made noise for a few seconds. but hasnt come back so i have no idea?!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
A couple days ago my right passenger speaker was acting up with static. even with the radio off it made noise for a few seconds. but hasnt come back so i have no idea?!
Hey Shiftace92,

Have you spoke with your Ford Dealer about this? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number; I'll have a look.

Nick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have any of you had the problem anymore? Mine just started on Sunday with the entire passenger side of the car. Technician thinks it's a short someplace, but I can perform the speaker walk test with good results. I don't know much about audio, but that doesn't sound like a short to me since there was no static when I did the test, just the tone that I expected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any Solution Yet?

Has anyone identified a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing on my 2012 Fiesta. Around the 55,000 mile mark the radio started popping out once every few months. The radio would pop once and cut out. Only to work perfectly fine once the car was restarted. I forgot to mention it when I took it in for a check engine light and it has gotten progressively worse. Today it started to crackle with static at full volume regardless if the audio system was on or not. It eve does it when the car is turned off. What should I be looking at before I break down and take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I would just register to reply to this thread. I'm guessing you guys are referring to the same problem I'm having in my Youtube video here:

My car is a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium X with Sony 10 speaker system.

I've been back to my dealer now 6 times with the same problem, and the last thing that was done was yet another firmware update and it has resulted in now the centre (center) and sub woofer cutting out. So now it looks like there is a potential for the AHU and DSP to be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any Solution Yet?

Has anyone identified a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing on my 2012 Fiesta. Around the 55,000 mile mark the radio started popping out once every few months. The radio would pop once and cut out. Only to work perfectly fine once the car was restarted. I forgot to mention it when I took it in for a check engine light and it has gotten progressively worse. Today it started to crackle with static at full volume regardless if the audio system was on or not. It eve does it when the car is turned off. What should I be looking at before I break down and take it to the dealership?

What was your solution, mine started with just a single pop then the radio would stop working and would start back working when I restarted the car, now it crackles and static noise just driving with the radio off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts