Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both JL Audio and Audio Control, have made resistor packs to make installing an aftermarket amp, easier, and safer for your factory Sony Amp.

The problem is that most LOC's or Amp high-level inputs, do not have a low enough impedance for the factory Sony Class D amp. What happens is that the amp overheats, and can burn out channels, or burn up speakers.

Adding a 4-10ohm resistor in parallel can aid in this. But current solutions, are building your own resistor packs, or PCB's. Not very clean looking IMO.

JL Audio has this: (You'll have to hack the ends off if you're not using a JL Audio FiX LOC)
FiX-LSA-4 - Car Audio - Processors - Processor Accessories

Audio Control has this:
AC-LGD - AudioControl

Both were more or less made for Sony systems! Audio Control gets the nod with a claimed Zobel network built into their design, as well as screw terminals for a cleaner install. Sold only in pairs. A Zobel Network claims to give better sound by normalizing the impedance of the circuit as frequencies change. I can never hear a damn difference, other than feeling my wallet being lighter.

Both are rather pricey at around $30-$40 for 4 channels. Where as you can build something for half that, but we're splitting hairs here. Just buy a few less mocha latte soy drip grande's in a month and it's paid for.

I'm excited about these, and may rewire my car for the Audio Control units over my home brew solution.

·
Registered
473 Posts
These are great options if youre using the devices that they are designed to work with. If youre going to hack apart multiple 30$ resistor packs, you can spend half that and just buy the resistors. Im still waiting for the RF DSR1. I doubt it would replace my JBL MS8 but would be interesting to see how it replaces the sony amp.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're mistaken. Only the JL Audio set is unique to their LOC/DSP. the AudioControl unit is agnostic hence the set-screws.

The JL kit you could just cut and solder/crimp the ends fine. Nothing difficult and completely inline to a typical install.

·
Registered
113 Posts
These are great options if youre using the devices that they are designed to work with. If youre going to hack apart multiple 30$ resistor packs, you can spend half that and just buy the resistors. Im still waiting for the RF DSR1. I doubt it would replace my JBL MS8 but would be interesting to see how it replaces the sony amp.

So the DSR1 would replace the factory amp all together? How exactly will it work being it only has 4 channel high level inputs?

·
Registered
473 Posts
So the DSR1 would replace the factory amp all together? How exactly will it work being it only has 4 channel high level inputs?
If i understand it correctly, you unplug the factory then use those plugs to the dsr1. Even if it only accepts 4 high level inputs, that's enough to get a full range input signal to de-eq

·
Registered
113 Posts
If i understand it correctly, you unplug the factory then use those plugs to the dsr1. Even if it only accepts 4 high level inputs, that's enough to get a full range input signal to de-eq
Wow that is nice. I was confused on how it would connect so it gives a load to all channels but still needs high level input. New to all this tech. Im used to just throwing a Pioneer 80prs in everything I own lol.

I bought resistors and everything for my build but I might wait it out for this.. Still haven't bought batteries or alt yet so I do have some time. Just hope it comes out within a month. Cant take this stock stereo anymore....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow that is nice. I was confused on how it would connect so it gives a load to all channels but still needs high level input. New to all this tech. Im used to just throwing a Pioneer 80prs in everything I own lol.

I bought resistors and everything for my build but I might wait it out for this.. Still haven't bought batteries or alt yet so I do have some time. Just hope it comes out within a month. Cant take this stock stereo anymore....
The stock electrical on the st isn't bad. Unless you're running crazy power. I've had over 1200 easy without issue. The jl chain of dsp stuff also has a resistor pack than can be used if you go that way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The stock electrical on the st isn't bad. Unless you're running crazy power. I've had over 1200 easy without issue. The jl chain of dsp stuff also has a resistor pack than can be used if you go that way.

Soundqubed 7k. Need the electrical lol

I was looking into the JL Fix things but the price of everything was more than I want to spend right now. The RF deal is a great price IMO.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a Alpine V9 that I'm dying to put in my car. I didn't like many of the options, even though my friend who builds demo cars for manufactures has a Ti Focus with a Audison Bit-Ten and it sounds great.

When I saw the RF DSR1 press release I was immediately sold.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice! That will be easier to package into a clean install than my breadboard solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts