Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to introduce myself. First time turbo owner here. Owned a couple of Camaros when I was younger (teens). I'm a dad with three kids and wanted something good on gas and fun/reliable to drive to work so I got a 2017 Focus ST1.

I've been reading the forums for a bit now and have realized a lot of the information has been out dated - some back to 2013. Not sure if the info is relevant still.

Had a question regarding mods/upgrades as well. I plan on slowly doing mods and coming from 8 cylinders; should I approach the turbo the same way? Honestly I'm not a huge fan of how this car falls on its face at 5500rpm. I've read numerous threads about it and didn't think it would be that bad until I purchased one. It's awful. I would definitely like to get power throughout the entire gear since they're so short already. Thanks for any input and information. Excited to do my first turbo :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome! I'm new as well, have had my ST about 5 weeks now.

When I first started reading on here I also thought a lot of the threads were very outdated (2013) but then realized I was looking at the dates wrong.....a lot of the threads even though started in 2013 are still having posts more currently so make sure you're looking at the latest post date in the thread and not the thread start date. Not sure if that's what you are doing but I made that mistake at first :p

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome! I'm new as well, have had my ST about 5 weeks now.

When I first started reading on here I also thought a lot of the threads were very outdated (2013) but then realized I was looking at the dates wrong.....a lot of the threads even though started in 2013 are still having posts more currently so make sure you're looking at the latest post date in the thread and not the thread start date. Not sure if that's what you are doing but I made that mistake at first :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unfortunately 4 cyl turbo motors don't have the powerband like any of the v8's do. The stock turbo is very small, which is why after a certain rpm range (5500-5800) it is out of it's efficiency range. The only thing that fixes this is a larger turbo. Happened with all my small turbo VW's and my SRT-4's. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bit of advice. Dont try to make this like a V8. You'll spend too much money and too much time chasing something thats impossible. Learn what makes a turbo 4 and how it drives. A turbo 4 is not going to have the same response as a NA High RPM motor. My BRZ is the same way. All the power is above 5000 rpms all the way till 7500. The Focus is so different. If i dont shift at 5500 the car runs out of air and feels super lame.

The benefit to these cars is a ton of torque low to mid. Peak torque hits at like 2000 rpms which is nuts. All that being said, a bigger turbo will allow for a stronger high end. But dont expect it to feel like a V8. It's just not gonna happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you should have bought a Mustang GT. I love the torque on the ST. It's got plenty of power for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I too am new to the Focus ST. Bought my '17 ST1 about 3 months ago. I'm currently, what they refer to as, stage 3 (larger inter cooler, down pipe, drop in filter and colder plugs). The first thing I did was get the AP. That's the Cobb AccessPort which will allow you to run tunes on the car. I highly suggest doing this. It's $500 and we'll worth it. I'd get the AP from JST PERFORMANCE as it will come with one of their tunes on it. I'm currently tuned by them and love it. I've also had Stratified tunes as well, they were a good tune, however the Customer service at JST won me over. I come from a V8 (Foxbody') back ground as well. These little turbo 4s are alot of fun, however the stock turbo is teeny tiny and runs out of umpphh in higher RPM'. A tune will help with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts