Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 17 ST1 in magnetic on Monday. Completely stock so far, but I already have a few upgrades in mind and I've barely passed 100 miles. I'm coming from an 04 SVTF. So far I'm enjoying the extra power of the ST but it certainly leaves a bit to be desired in terms of sound.

First impressions
-Ride seems a bit bouncy. I don't mind the stiffness, it just seems underdamped. I'll probably swap to some Koni or Bilstein shocks eventually
-Sound symposer - meh, doesn't sound bad but I noticed it right away when I took it for a test drive and knew something sounded a little off. I'll probably delete it eventually
-Pedal placement - tough to heel toe. A pedal spacer will likely be my first upgrade.
-Otherwise I'm enjoying it so far, we will see how things progress...

I plan on Autocrossing it pretty much immediately after the break in 1000 miles. Maybe I'll see some fellow members out there. Planning on attending the Detroit Region SCCA event on Memorial Day.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just picked up my 17 ST1 in magnetic on Monday. Completely stock so far, but I already have a few upgrades in mind and I've barely passed 100 miles. I'm coming from an 04 SVTF. So far I'm enjoying the extra power of the ST but it certainly leaves a bit to be desired in terms of sound.

First impressions
-Ride seems a bit bouncy. I don't mind the stiffness, it just seems underdamped. I'll probably swap to some Koni or Bilstein shocks eventually
-Sound symposer - meh, doesn't sound bad but I noticed it right away when I took it for a test drive and knew something sounded a little off. I'll probably delete it eventually
-Pedal placement - tough to heel toe. A pedal spacer will likely be my first upgrade.
-Otherwise I'm enjoying it so far, we will see how things progress...

I plan on Autocrossing it pretty much immediately after the break in 1000 miles. Maybe I'll see some fellow members out there. Planning on attending the Detroit Region SCCA event on Memorial Day.
Welcome! Post up some pics!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try to get around to posting some pics at some point, but it's completely stock at the moment so not much of anything unique to see.

One of my biggest gripes that I forgot to mention in my first post is how long the revs take to drop between gears. My old SVT Focus had a similar issue and it always bugged me. On my M3 revs drop like a stone as soon as you put the clutch pedal in, so you are forced to shift quickly. On the ST when you put the clutch in it seems to take forever for the revs to drop down to the proper speed for the next gear, which makes it nearly impossible to shift quickly while still being smooth. This seems to be especially problematic for the 1-2 shift, where it literally seems to take about 2 seconds for the revs to drop all the way down before I can let out the clutch in 2nd.

From my initial reading it sounds like a tune can fix this? I'd rather not flash a tune on and void the warranty right away but this hanging rev thing is really annoying. Anyone have similar thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Welcome aboard fellow new ST owner from "The D" area. I bought my FoST on Labor Day 2016, and have been on a flash tune since 1300 miles. I hadn't owned nor driven a manual for quite a few years. So as of this time I'm still getting back into the hang of shifting. But yes, I do notice the rev hang thing, and it's making consistently smooth shifting allusive for me. Not to mention the weird feel of the clutch & the CPU adding throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.