Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just got my 2016 focus st yesterday and ive been driving it like crazy, I love the car so much it sounds incredible! Only issue i see now is the sound symposer, its droning like crazy after 3k, bought a block off already and now waiting. Do you guys think a stratified tune is worth it? btw sorry for bad pics lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome aboard! I bought my '14 ST3 in March of 2020, so I'm still under a year and let me tell you. This is a FUN car. It's my daily driver on my 20mile one-way commute to work and I wouldn't have it any other way (Unless my Ranger was in working order, then it'd be.... 75/25 in favor of the Focus).
I'm planning to leave mine stock minus the symposer delete, a rear sway bar and an exhaust so I can run it in my local autocross club as street class, so I can't speak to the tune, but I encourage you to use the search function to see if others have tried a stratified tune (spoilers, they almost certainly have). The guys here are awesome and this forum is a fantastic repository of knowledge, so dive in head first and have fun!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard! I bought my '14 ST3 in March of 2020, so I'm still under a year and let me tell you. This is a FUN car. It's my daily driver on my 20mile one-way commute to work and I wouldn't have it any other way (Unless my Ranger was in working order, then it'd be.... 75/25 in favor of the Focus).
I'm planning to leave mine stock minus the symposer delete, a rear sway bar and an exhaust so I can run it in my local autocross club as street class, so I can't speak to the tune, but I encourage you to use the search function to see if others have tried a stratified tune (spoilers, they almost certainly have). The guys here are awesome and this forum is a fantastic repository of knowledge, so dive in head first and have fun!
thats great to hear! running ots cobb tune rn and its working alright but i wanna look for some other options out there.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST (shadow black)
211 Posts
Welcome, got a 16 ST myself. Lots of good helpful stuff on here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thats great to hear! running ots cobb tune rn and its working alright but i wanna look for some other options out there.
There are a lot of options out there for a car that was only made for 5 years with no real predecessor (I mean, kinda the SVT?) or successor (The Edge and Explorer are abominations of the ST badge, imo). Like I said. Dive in, have fun with it! If you have questions, search and you shall find. I've found answers to questions I never would've thought to ask here!

One word of warning, since I've seen people over and over and over and over complain about this on the subreddit... If you're planning to make 425+ hp, be prepared to rebuild the engine. Realistically, if you break 400 HP, you should already be scheduling to work with someone to get reinforced internals. This isn't a Golf or a WRX STI. Unless you bought it suped up, though, you're probably a long way for 400 HP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a lot of options out there for a car that was only made for 5 years with no real predecessor (I mean, kinda the SVT?) or successor (The Edge and Explorer are abominations of the ST badge, imo). Like I said. Dive in, have fun with it! If you have questions, search and you shall find. I've found answers to questions I never would've thought to ask here!

One word of warning, since I've seen people over and over and over and over complain about this on the subreddit... If you're planning to make 425+ hp, be prepared to rebuild the engine. Realistically, if you break 400 HP, you should already be scheduling to work with someone to get reinforced internals. This isn't a Golf or a WRX STI. Unless you bought it suped up, though, you're probably a long way for 400 HP.
nahhh thatll never happen, ill mostly keep the mods it has on it now just basic stuff intake,tune,exhaust. mostly wanting a fun daily that has a spinning snail.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
185 Posts

It’s a shame you guys in the US never got the mk2 ST, this is my old one, five pot engine sounded awesome.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
345 Posts
Welcome OP, great car!
Looks just like my 2016 👍😎

How many miles?

Need an intercooler before tune is the general advice.

Are your sure droning isn't coming from exhaust, or is it stock?

Your symposer might have a hole in the diaphragm, or the control valve might be acting up.

Mine didn't drone when I got it about 36,000 but I did notice a small split in the symposer diaphragm when I later checked it, so that was enough excuse for me to get a delete plate to run a turbosmart BPV. 😁

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
nahhh thatll never happen, ill mostly keep the mods it has on it now just basic stuff intake,tune,exhaust. mostly wanting a fun daily that has a spinning snail.
Check out the Monster Adapt-X tune, you can just re-flash when adding mods without needing to buy revisions or an unlimited custom tune, it is good up to full bolt-ons for stock turbo and fueling. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out the Monster Adapt-X tune, you can just re-flash when adding mods without needing to buy revisions or an unlimited custom tune, it is good up to full bolt-ons for stock turbo and fueling. Welcome aboard!
ooo ill check them out, but to be truthful I just want a crackle tune lmao.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Hello I just got my 2016 focus st yesterday and ive been driving it like crazy, I love the car so much it sounds incredible! Only issue i see now is the sound symposer, its droning like crazy after 3k, bought a block off already and now waiting. Do you guys think a stratified tune is worth it? btw sorry for bad pics lol.

View attachment 386654 View attachment 386655
Awesome looking ST! I 2nd the other members opinions on the FMIC. The stock one heatsoaks like crazy. If you want to get the most out of your tune, and keep your engine healthy, start researching them.
Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. Some randomness: Our black ST's always look dirty twenty minutes after washing. Pull the upper symposer pipe from the electric valve and stuff a sponge in it and reattach, then listen for drone. As said above, the drone may be in your exhasut. I'm totally satisfied with my ST's performance and only have filter, intercooler, and semi custom Stratifed tune. If it's an ST1 you'll grow to hate the stereo. Also if it's an ST2 or ST3. The awesome group here have worked out many ways to fix the hate. Don't cheap out on fuel. Top tier 93 octane all of the time. Stop pumping at the first click, don't top off the tank. Rev match all the time. If you have a problem getting into reverse in the morning, try going to 4th and then R.

Reactions: sttwoton

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. Some randomness: Our black ST's always look dirty twenty minutes after washing. Pull the upper symposer pipe from the electric valve and stuff a sponge in it and reattach, then listen for drone. As said above, the drone may be in your exhasut. I'm totally satisfied with my ST's performance and only have filter, intercooler, and semi custom Stratifed tune. If it's an ST1 you'll grow to hate the stereo. Also if it's an ST2 or ST3. The awesome group here have worked out many ways to fix the hate. Don't cheap out on fuel. Top tier 93 octane all of the time. Stop pumping at the first click, don't top off the tank. Rev match all the time. If you have a problem getting into reverse in the morning, try going to 4th and then R.
Excellent advice, plenty of oil and filter changes, I do mine every 4K, inlet clean and catch can is a must imho, no point in an expensive intake system, if you’re inlet valves are gunked up with carbon.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
345 Posts
... Some randomness: Our black ST's always look dirty twenty minutes after washing. ...
Maybe someone can 'splain this dirty black car thing to me?

This is the first black car I've had. As far as looking dirty or washing, I like it the best!

I've had 2 white ones and despised those from the looking dirty faster standpoint.

The others varied from light blue metallic, med green and brown metallics, to dark green and dark red metallics.

Also on interiors, I prefer darker over light colors.

Is the anti-dark preference based on an obsession with dust or something? :unsure:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's not an obsession with dust, it's the fact that dust shows immediately on black paint. And the hatch sucks it onto the car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Some colours show dirt more than others, black and white seem to be the worst, silver and grey seem less so, but silver and grey are also the most dreary colours imho.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts