Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I just bought my new 2016 Shadow Black ST3 a few days ago. Got what I felt was a great deal for a fun car. My car history goes: Chevy Corsica --> Hyunda Elantra -->TJ Jeep Wrangler --> NC Miata -->BMW 135i vert --> Focus ST. Currently besides the ST I have a LR LR3 (wife's daily driver), a Toyota Tundra (towing and general use), and a beater(!) 91 F150 for a farm/do-anything vehicle. The Elantra, Wrangler, and Miata were manuals. I decided to jump ship to the dual clutch transmission for the BMW. It had its pluses, but was just not as fun as a manual transmission. Before buying the ST I considered the GTI, Mustang GT, ND Miata, Fiat 124, and Focus RS. I ended up going with the Focus ST because of the fantastic cost to performance/enjoyment ratio I perceived. Loved the quality of the GTI, the power of the Mustang, looks and convertible top of the Miata/Fiat, and the wow factor and AWD of the RS. Didn't feel the nearly 2x price of the RS was worth it though. Miata/Fiat a little too small to justify spending 30K+ (was looking only at the fully loaded ones), didn't like the price of the Mustang GT Premiums (40K+), and although the GTI was great it was several thousand more for an equivalent vehicle.

I've only put a couple hundred miles on the ST so far, and most of it was in cold and rain so I can't say too much yet. It definitely handles better than my 135i, and is the equal or better of my Miata. I think it looks fantastic, and I can't help but linger and stare at it when after I park it. It's quite fast, but the stock 135i would beat it handily in a straight line. I'm going to miss RWD I think, and I'm DEFINITELY going to miss having a convertible since I've had one since 2008 until just a couple months ago. However, I feel like it's the complete package, especially for the price! Mine came with summer tires, but today I put them in storage and had some BF Goodrich g-Force comp2 all seasons installed. I've put a grand total of 15 miles on them so I can't comment on them yet. We rarely get snow where I live, but it does get pretty cold at times, certainly too cold to safely/effectively use summer tires. I felt that using all-seasons as my winter tires was a good compromise, especially since we have two 4wd vehicles we can drive if it snows. Besides the tires, the only mod I have planned is a Garage Line pedal spacer for easier heel-toe shifting. It's ordered and on the way! I'm working too much right now to detail it on my own like usual, so I paid a mobile detailer to come clean it and apply a sealant today. He's done a great job on prior vehicles, and today was no different.

I'm happy to have my second Ford, if you count my beater F150. :) Looking forward to exploring and participating in this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
nice car. I just traded my stage 2 135i for a st, and I am really happy.
Awesome, good to hear! Can't imagine a modded 135i... I felt like my stock vert was stupid fast!
Welcome nkmu! Really enjoyed reading your post. I think you made a great choice. I found your observations on the Focus RS to be quite interesting. I feel the same way! I love the RS, the looks, the power, the AWD. It's all great. But it's really not the same value as the ST at double the price. That being said I'm about to go look at one just for fun. I'm also glad to hear you detail your car yourself, so do I! It's a lot of fun. I think you will have a great time with this car. Good to have you on the forum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome nkmu! Really enjoyed reading your post. I think you made a great choice. I found your observations on the Focus RS to be quite interesting. I feel the same way! I love the RS, the looks, the power, the AWD. It's all great. But it's really not the same value as the ST at double the price. That being said I'm about to go look at one just for fun. I'm also glad to hear you detail your car yourself, so do I! It's a lot of fun. I think you will have a great time with this car. Good to have you on the forum
Thanks! Got to do some driving today, and I'm liking the car even more. Highway exit, tight curve, "Recommended 30mph"... yeah right! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks! Got to do some driving today, and I'm liking the car even more. Highway exit, tight curve, "Recommended 30mph"... yeah right!
Haha, those kind of corners are just begging to be destroyed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
129 Posts
welcome, what part of AL? There is a Alabama Ford ST/RS owners group you may want to check out as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts