Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded in my heavily modified 2007 NC1 Miata for a mint 2014 tuxedo black ST1. My Miata was fun, if you like being deaf and having a broken spine every time you go for a ride.
The focus is faster in every way, gets way better mileage, is more practical, and is, I think, more fun. The only downsides are it?s 700lbs heavier and has a roof.
The car was a one-owner, 42k miles, completely stock. Bought, serviced, and sold at the same dealership where I got it.
The dealership put brand new Eagle F1s on it so my first order of business was winter wheels. I got Tire Rack Motorsports ff10 in 17x8 et40, with Continental wintercontact SI in 235/45. No snow yet but it feels great in the dry. Also added RokBlokz mud flaps in all black to protect the sides of my car from New England winter road sludge.
The car sounds pathetic stock so that had to be addressed. I wanted something suitable for long highway trips and grand touring, without any of the mind-crushing drone I had in my Miata, so after some research I went with the Magnaflow cat-back. Hasn?t arrived yet but I?m psyched to hear it. It seemed the quietest non-custom aftermarket option.
I also got the FSWerks short shift plate because the stock shifter feels like a school bus compared to my Miatas solid 3? rifle bolt shifter. I?d also like to replace the rubbery shifter bushings but I?ll save that project for down the road. I don?t understand why Ford put such rubbery bushings and long throw in this car, but oh well it?s a cheap fix.
This spring I?m planning on installing a CP-e delta intercooler, mainly for longevity reasons, but everything else will probably remain stock. I?ll also do a tune because I will never put anything but 91-93 octane in this car. Someday when the shocks give way I?ll do Koni yellows or Bilsteins and a pro-kit.
In summation: this car is amazing. I love that it exists. I love that they never offered an automatic and I hope no ST/RS in the future ever gets one. I love the perfect combination of frightening speed and everyday practicality. I love that it gets great mileage. I love that the build quality, in my shirt experience, rivals many Japanese and European competitors. This is an almost perfect car.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
229 Posts
Congrats! I’m also in Ma. Purchased ST3 from Kelly Ford in Beverly, Ma few months ago with little under 10k miles. The Goodyear Eagle F1s it came with we’re low on tread so I ended up picking up BFGoodrich Comp2 All Season. Came from a Veloster Turbo and just loving this Focus ST!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts