Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
978 Posts
Look at turbo FR-s and brz too. 12:1 compression and they take 7 psi and make 275 wheel all day on a gtx28

We make that power on our car with a gtx28 with like what....18psi? I bet the brz is more fun to drive. I know its not apples to apples but you get the idea.

· Vendor
1,840 Posts
What's the ratings on these?
And how conservative are ratings?

I.e. 4032 9.3's 25psi 450hp rating was not what I was looking for, but considering I've had the stock ones on more pressure and power for a good deal of miles now without them falling apart (yet...), I'd expect the 4032's to last to much higher levels than rated for, and I'm guessing the ratings are conservative for maximum longevity.

Also any ideas on the 10.0 pistons?

· Registered
5,568 Posts
What's the ratings on these?
And how conservative are ratings?

I.e. 4032 9.3's 25psi 450hp rating was not what I was looking for, but considering I've had the stock ones on more pressure and power for a good deal of miles now without them falling apart (yet...), I'd expect the 4032's to last to much higher levels than rated for, and I'm guessing the ratings are conservative for maximum longevity.

Also any ideas on the 10.0 pistons?
The 10's are made out of the 4032 also but no ratings. Thats what I'm going to use.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Correct and this is the reason why I have previously informed them that it wouldn't make sense to manufacture 4032 pistons but you have a couple of guys requesting that forging.
u are deff not making this any easier on me. I've flip flopped several times on this because I don't want to deal with the wear life issues of 2618. I've seen 4032 pushed very hard in n/a applications very hard with no issue but not so much boosted. Grumble grumble.

· Vendor
1,840 Posts
I have a hard time with the 25psi rating. Your manifold pressure is proportional to your cylinder pressure, but people with different flowing heads will get different cylinder pressures at the same boost.

Where does that rating come from?

· Vendor
1,840 Posts
u are deff not making this any easier on me. I've flip flopped several times on this because I don't want to deal with the wear life issues of 2618. I've seen 4032 pushed very hard in n/a applications very hard with no issue but not so much boosted. Grumble grumble.
I'm in the same boat!
I don't like more oil consumption or wear if I can avoid it, considering I'd like to keep the ST as a comfortable daily driver :)

· Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm in the same boat! I don't like more oil consumption or wear if I can avoid it, considering I'd like to keep the ST as a comfortable daily driver :)
well I the biggest trouble is there's a few claim 4032 is fine while other say it's not so yea I feel you. My initial finding was they should be fine as longs as you arnt knocking it. But yea idk. Guess it's time I make a few calls.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Theses are manufacture spec based on alloyed testing in laboratories conditions but as much as I respect R&D guide lines, we do have a 720hp mazdspeed 6 that has 50k on and have been cross country and with no issues.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have a hard time with the 25psi rating. Your manifold pressure is proportional to your cylinder pressure, but people with different flowing heads will get different cylinder pressures at the same boost.

This rated from the manufacture and you have to understand when people have detonation cylinder pressure increases, causing damage to piston.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Theses are manufacture spec based on alloyed testing in laboratories conditions but as much as I respect R&D guide lines, we do have a 720hp mazdspeed 6 that has 50k on and have been cross country and with no issues.
now this is something I would expect out of the 4032 piston. My understanding was basicly as its fine as long as your not planning on knocking it. U knock good though and they break.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

This rated from the manufacture and you have to understand when people have detonation cylinder pressure increases, causing damage to piston.

· Registered
178 Posts
I remember the bolt on's debates back in 2013 and a lot of GTX talk in 2013 and last year. Now its the pistons and rods debate. Makes me smile all day every day. I too need some pistons and rods. I'm not looking for anything more than my GTX2867r can push. So I will buy a set as soon as I make up my mind. 500whp rated is all I need

· Registered
2,881 Posts
I remember the bolt on's debates back in 2013 and a lot of GTX talk in 2013 and last year. Now its the pistons and rods debate. Makes me smile all day every day. I too need some pistons and rods. I'm not looking for anything more than my GTX2867r can push. So I will buy a set as soon as I make up my mind. 500whp rated is all I need
How is the fastest st build coming?

· Registered
178 Posts
I have no clue. I'm not even close to being the fastest lol

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.