Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here and just bought a brand 2016 ST just 10 days ago. Now I'm looking at getting a exhaust system for it but having trouble really deciding because even with YouTube videos of the sounds of them we all know that in person it sounds totally different than a recording. So what I would really love is if I could get a ranking list of cat back exhausts from quietest to loudest and if at all possible decibel counts of each. I'm not after a stupid f***ing loud exhaust note. I would say my ideal exhaust note would something simalar to how the newer Infiniti car's exhaust sound. Deep and noticeable but at the sametime not like you can hear the car coming 3 miles away.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What is your goal, more power or more noise?

Any aftermarket exhaust will produce more noise, some will drone others won't.

What they won't give you however is the power increase from catted or no-cat 3" down-pipe only.

The other benefit is the stock exhaust is fairly heavy so you can drop some weight by upgrading.

I would strongly look for a used exhaust if you must have one, the hp/cost ratio isn't good when you buy one new.

Best hp/cost is just a down-pipe and leave the rest of the exhaust alone. If you want more noise you can delete the mid-pipe resonator or stock muffler, it saves weight too.

Reactions: mrblackbond

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want the noise plus the benefit of power. I live in SC so I can get away with a catless exhaust if I feel like doing so later. I know I'm not after something that I'm going to hear when in 6th on the interstate going either 70 or 80. I think really all I want to do is a Roush intake, I have the Boomba BOV, and a exhaust kit. As far as the exhaust kit extent I'm just more at first after giving the car a respectable note. I'm looking for a "wow that sounds nice" not a "ehh it's okay kinda loud" reaction from say a shrewd soccer mom or the old lady who sits in by the window judging everyone.

Where would look for used exhausts more importantly as where I live not many Focus ST's prowell here in Charllotte NC?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought a second hand magnaflow exhaust for $300 and am happy with it. At idle it has a mild burbly sound. When I am accelerating it gets fairly loud and noticeable but not that traditional Honda civic bumble bee sound. Cruising, you barely can tell it is not stock. I just drove it over 2 hours on a one way drive and there was no drone when cruising at 35, 50, or 70mph. I am sure whatever exhaust you get any soccer mom is going to think your car sounds like a teenager should be driving it. You're not going to ever get that great traditional V8 rumble. Keep in mind that the larger the tubing the more obnoxious your exhaust is going to be. The magnaflow is 2.5", which is perfect for me. Loud does not equal fast.

As mentioned earlier, I would look for used. I think that companies charging $750-$1,0000 for and exhaust for these cars is ridiculous. From what I have seen the mufflers are simply an insulated perforated tube and there is certainly nothing special about the tubing. I can remember 10 years ago buying name brand exhausts all day long for my '03 Cobra for half these prices and for a dual exhaust.

I can also vouch that the magnaflow felt nearly half the weight of the stocker.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You can have both but it ain't cheap = $800-$1,500

Used exhaust you can find in the for sale section of this forum and possibly on Facebook. You might even want to try your local bone yard that has newer cars in it, lots of these things have been wrapped around telephone poles from overaggressive driving + lack of experience = wreck, total write-off

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think the closest you'll get would be either militek or JDL Auto Design with the extra resonators added in. Both systems configured like that are north of $1k

Otherwise, you get a hit or miss solution it seems.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Injen

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cobb sounds good under acceleration at idle it's very quiet.

Roush CAI
ATP FMIC
ATP Catless DP
Cobb CBE
Cobb AP v3
Tuned by Nishan
Stage 3 + E30
Denso ITV24
Boomba stage 2 RMM
Cobb Short Shift Plate
Boomba Solid trans bushings
Lathe Works shift knob
Stop tech rotors
Hawk DTC-30 pads
245 Nitto NT05
Rally Armor Mudflaps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is for the exhaust. But was wondering what is a good BOV , I've been looking and people say good things and bad things about everyone. And where is a good site to buy all the accessories for my car

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have the MBRP 3" cat-back and it surprised me how quiet it is compared to other 4-cyl cars I've put similar exhaust systems on. Only other exhaust I've heard in person was a Roush exhaust and it was much louder. I get compliments on the MBRP all the time and the quality is good. No matter what you do, a cat-back is not going to add a noticeable power increase. If you want to actually make power (and if I could go back I would probably do this instead) just do a catless dp and keep stock cat-back. You'll get more sound, but it won't be extreme, and you'll already have it when you add a few other things and are ready to tune. Truly the only way to make more power out of this car is with a tune. Anyone is welcome to correct me if they disagree.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My vote goes to Cobb or greddy. Both are 3" systems and I've heard both in person and ended up deciding on the greddy because it has more burbles on the decel. But both are very deep sounding for a 4 cylinder, but during cruising it is barely noticeable. When you lightly step on it, it gets slightly louder but by no means is loud enough for people outside the car to really take notice of. But when you go WOT in both it gets loud but not raspy.
I have the greddy paired to a catless downpipe and it is 100% liveable and mature sounding, but can roar if you put the pedal to the floor.
Hope this helps in your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cheap_ass_alex

·
Registered
816 Posts
I used a lot of "buts" in my former statement, safe to say I'm not going to school for an English degree

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got lucky with my magnaflow and got bnib for 525 from a member here who never installed it,and traded in his ST for the RS and only had to take a 45 min trip to get it.Love it,very mellow when at idle and no drone at highway speed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would it sound if you put a high flow cat down pipe onto the stock exhaust? Would it really be a noticeable difference? To me the videos of the stock exhaust seem to let nothing out as it appears all the sound is really the engine bay. Of the few Focus ST's I've seen while walking to work and stand post outside my building not one of them ever let one lose so I have yet to hear one from a pedestrian standpoint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and if I do a catless down pipe to the stock exhaust what will happen to my back end since mine is Oxford White with red stripes? Will there be a lot of black residue as a result?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh and if I do a catless down pipe to the stock exhaust what will happen to my back end since mine is Oxford White with red stripes? Will there be a lot of black residue as a result?
I've got a bone stock Tangerine Scream and the exhaust grime covers the back of my car within days of a wash anyway. Along with brake dust, it's one of the quirks you'll get used to :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my Roush :D, only had on a couple weeks but's it's a solid balanced tone for a 4 cylinder and can be really really loud but only when you're getting on it hard and drones a smidge at very high highway speeds (>75mph).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mountune might be what you're looking for. It sounds sporty without going "obviously aftermarket"

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
A tune and down pipe will make the most power for the cost, with a E30 tune you'll be close to "Stage 3" power.

You will pick up HP/TQ with just a cat-back, nothing you can really feel but often see on your time slip, likely a tenth or so/.5-1 mph increase.

The noise level at part-throttle and WOT will increase.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My vote goes to Cobb or greddy. Both are 3" systems and I've heard both in person and ended up deciding on the greddy because it has more burbles on the decel. But both are very deep sounding for a 4 cylinder, but during cruising it is barely noticeable. When you lightly step on it, it gets slightly louder but by no means is loud enough for people outside the car to really take notice of. But when you go WOT in both it gets loud but not raspy.
I have the greddy paired to a catless downpipe and it is 100% liveable and mature sounding, but can roar if you put the pedal to the floor.
Hope this helps in your quest!

I agree with this. ^ I am Catless and it'll scream on WOT. Cruising is super quiet, I think I might have like Greddy more for burbles. But it wasn't out yet when I got my exhaust but these two are great options!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts